Can you feel Secure when you pay money Online?

Discussion in Payment Methods started by Kam735 • Mar 20, 2013.

1. Kam735

Kam735Member

Threads:
    Which payment gateway you like most??

2. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Truth be told I don't think you can feel safe no matter where you make a payment or a sell. Sad but true, even when doing it in a physical store you can fall victim to identity theft or even someone mugging you. All you can do in either situation is be alert to what is going on. Be alert to who you are dealing with and what type of reputation they have. When I shop on Amazon or ebay I look for sellers who have a solid rating out on the website. At least this way I know they have had other customers they have worked with in the past. This doesn't actually guarantee complete safety but it does help.

As for online payment system I use, I always use Paypal. Regardless of what anyone wants to say about them, I have been with them for years, and have never encountered a problem. Well, not from the website itself. But there have been those emails from people trying to hack into my account. Always beware of emails like this from any type of account you may have. Don't ever click on their links, go to your account yourself and see if it has any issues. Odds are it doesn't, and this was another way that a hacker was trying to get your information.

3. mrsgeedee

mrsgeedeeActive Member

Threads:
    I use Paypal. That's the only method of payment I feel secured. I've had a couple of troubles in ebay and it was easily solved when I opened disputes in Paypal. ;)

4. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I've been paying online with both PayPal and credit and debit cards since 1998, and I've never had a problem. You just have to observe the usual security guidelines, and never reply to any emails asking for log in or security information. As Pafijh points out, the safest way is to just log into your account independently of any emails. If there's a genuine issue, it will flash up after you've logged on, and you can sort it out directly with the site.

5. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Only when using PayPal (or another secure, certified method like AliPay or MoneyBookers). I would never reveal my credit card info to whoever I'm buying from.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have used Paypal, Liberty Reserve and Payza when paying for things online, and so far my account has never been compromised. I have received numerous phishing emails too, but I know better that genuine emails won't ask for your personal info, and they always address you by your registered name on the website. So it's pretty easy to spot a phishing email at 1st glance.

7. GavinMcresty

GavinMcrestyMember

Threads:
    I normally use PayPal. It has the advantage that your information is not actually given to the company you are buying from. In addition, I never have much money in my PayPal account. As a result, even if someone did hack into it, they would not be able to get away with very much. If you follow the basic safety advice, shopping online is just as safe (if not safer than) as buying in a normal shop.

8. ozadin

ozadinActive Member

Threads:
    I feel secure when I use trusted websites like paypal, alertpay.
    I normally only use sites like amazon, newegg, sites that are trusted.

9. srinivas0812

srinivas0812Member

Threads:
    I feel secure only when I use PayPal. I never used my CC when it comes to online shopping. I do not want my identity revealed to the sellers and PayPal helps me with this issue by exposing only then email an nothing else. Been a super user of PayPal for more than 5 years, I am happy with the things going on with it.

10. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I generally feel more secure when paying online, since the transaction is between me and they payment gateway. The seller generally doesn't see all my credit card information. In a store, anyone can be snooping over your shoulder, or worse yet the cashier could steal your card number and go crazy with it.

11. amy005

amy005Active Member

Threads:
    I feel secure paying with paypal and credit/debit cards online as long as I am buying something from a trusted online store. There are many stores out there that I do feel safe paying at especially when using paypal since you aren't actually giving your credit card info out.

12. jimarmstrong

jimarmstrongNew Member

Threads:
    I have been in Web Security industry for 5 years and Its really huge experience to me, as result of this, I can suggest you the best online payment gateway's are PayPal and Google Valuate. Both are the most valuable and trusted source as Payment gateway on the internet.

13. jeanwatson

jeanwatsonNew Member

Threads:
    Over the past few months, I have a feeling of added security when I do money transactions online. The code verification method involving my mobile phone before any payment (I don't know the term for that process, sadly) has been instrumental in my added confidence in doing online payments. I am a frequent online shopper and have used debit card payments, Paypal payments, and also HDFC Bank's Netsafe virtual credit card payments to buy items on the internet. I am glad to say here that online purchases have really given me lots of options to buy and at affordable prices too. The item usually come to me within 3-5 days most of the time.

14. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitectActive Member

Threads:
    I normally use paypal when shopping online. I don't think any other method is safe enough. Of course netbanking can be used for a few site here in India but other than that paypal is the way to go. That I think as safe a method as they come but I don't think you can truly feel secure when paying someone you can't see.

15. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer to use cash - yes that makes me a mental dinosaur, but if I have to use online payment or credit cards then I prefer to go through either my bank or PayPal. I also prefer to use stores that are on the up and up - no little shops, no out of the way shops, nothing foreign - not trying to be Jingoist or anything, but many a person has gotten scammed that way.

16. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I will always be a bit apprehensive buying online, cause there is always a chance the website will be hacked or something... but as I usually will only buy from websites I absolutely trust I usually don't freak out about it. Also, everytime I am able to pay via Paypal I'll choose that option, cause then I don't need to share my credit card number.

17. SpringBreeze

SpringBreezeActive Member

Threads:
    I never feel safe when shopping online, even when using https and stuff like that. My preferred payment gateway is paypal. But there are just so many ways for hackers to hijack your identity and steal your money on the internet -- it's really scary. My grandmother recently went to a seminar on the different ways thieves are targeting elderly people. I'm amazed and saddened at what's taking place now. It's like now we are all forced to live with fear, in fear... :(

18. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    I ended up using Pay pal to accept credit cards for my business and ordered the Paypal Mastercard (they have one for business and personal) some with a credit line but if not it acts as a debit but with a mastercard logo. I use it exclusively for all my on line purchases. One time my account was hacked and paypal was grrrreat! I did not have to pay any of the fraudulent charges, they credited me back quickly and there reps are so nice and professional. I have no reason to go elsewhere and will stay and feel secure with them.