Can You Forego Your Best Dishes To Save Money?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Athanas • Nov 11, 2017.

1. Athanas

AthanasActive Member

Threads:
    Many types of food items have similar nutrients. For example, beans, just like pork, contain protein. But unfortunately, people have different food preferences. Some foods are relatively cheap while others are damn expensive. What is your view, are you willing to forget about your favorite expensive dishes and go for cheaper foods in the same food groups?

2. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We normally save on food expenses that's why we cook our special dishes once in a blue moon. Steak and other special beef dishes have expensive ingredients likewise with pork dishes. We actually reserve those special dishes for occasions like birthdays and anniversaries. For our regular meals, it is fish, vegetables, chicken and sometimes pork and beef.

3. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I have in past. And I continue to do so even today. I prefer to make sure that I am not spending the dishes in the costly criteria. And that makes it a bit harder for me to work with that sort of mindset. So I try to buy things cheap. And it should be more than enough for holding money as well. I can tell you that you can save a lot of money if you stop eating at mall. That's for sure.

4. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really have to forget about my favorite dishes to save money. Many of my favorite dishes aren't even expensive like sauteed cabbage, mushroom, and other vegetable dishes. I always go for variety keeping in mind the go-grow-glow foods daily requirements. On some days, I may spend more on foods and on some days, I may spend less. As long as I'm within my budget, I'm fine with it. When budgeting for food and planning meals, I always have my child in mind. For instance, I like black beans with fish sauce and leaves but he doesn't like it so much so I make compromises and cook black beans with sliced pork knuckles. That way, we can eat the same dish.

5. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I would not and my most favorite dish is in fact not at all expensive so I don't see a need to forget it anyway. I have two favorite dishes which I know to cook myself and both of them need not many costly items. One of them is Cauliflower Manchurian and the other one is pasta with onions, tomato, soy balls, green peas and baby corn. Whenever I am alone at home and not feeling to cook traditional dishes I go for these which are my favorite but my wife is not a fan of :)

6. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    There are so many ingredients that can replace expensive ingredients. Let's say instead of going for exotic vegetable like a banana blossom, go for a similar tasting veggie artichoke. Sweet potatoes can replace potatoes in many recipes.

Offal meats are more affordable than luxury cuts of meat. Also instead of buying pretty vegetables from Wallmart, Go for imperfect produce.

7. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I do replace many of my favorite foods with cheaper alternatives but I have leaned that the cheaper versions are actually healthier so it is actually a win situation for me. For example instead of junkfood I will buy some fruits to make my own homemade popsicles. Instead of meat I buy chicken which I can make into chicken soup with vegetables.