Can you live even just for a month without music?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by 003 • May 8, 2014.

1. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    Sure I could survive. Whether or not I'd want to survive that length of time without music though is an entirely different matter. The thought alone of complete silence for an month is making me shiver. The very thought!

2. nuka cola

nuka colaBanned

Threads:
    Definitely not, especially lately music has been a big part of my day. Not sure what I'd do without it, it changes my mood and makes me more upbeat. Not to mention it keeps me from thinking about stuff I don't want to think about...

3. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I think that me as an individual I would actually be able to make it without actually listening to music. But the challenge is the world that we live in now pretty much revolves around music. There is so much music anyway and everywhere. You cannot go outside your house for 10 minutes and not in Conta some sort of music. There is a radio or club or car or a bus or something with music playing in it continuously. Music is seriously dented into our culture and society. So I would find it very hard to make it even an hour without any sort of music to be honest.

4. Tapel

TapelMember

Threads:
    To say that music is my life is kind of a cliche nowadays. Everyone's saying it. For me, music is not my life instead, my life depends on music! And the more important statement is, I LOVE IT! I am a musician and I play in a band here in the Philippines and there is no day in my life that music isn't present. To think that music will be out of my life even for one day will be devastating. I wouldn't die but I would probably kill. hehe!

5. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I could survive without music. I did most of my life. Growing up we were not allowed to have the radio on in the car, the house, etc. So it never bothered me. I actually found it weird when my ex had his radio on all the time. But, it is not a necessity to live. Water, food, shelter, and I'm gonna say cleanliness considering you can get sick from being dirty are necessities. That is like saying you can't survive without your computer or Xbox or something. It is just silly.

6. bmarks

bmarksMember

Threads:
    I don't think I could go more than a couple days. I listen to music while traveling, while I'm working out, while I'm showering, and even sometimes to help me fall asleep or when I'm just plain bored. To show how committed I am to my music, I have playlists that I regularly update for each of these activities. So I doubt I'd last very long without music without going insane.

7. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think most people would want to go 1 month without music or even a few days without music. But sure, we technically COULD survive without it. But for most people (myself included) music is apart of our daily routine when working, traveling, exercising, etc. For me especially, it's apart of how I make my living by teaching saxophone lessons.

8. Sam Tarly

Sam TarlyMember

Threads:
    I really don't think I can, besides being a way to entertain myself during down times, music is a way for me to experience something else, it is a way I can relax and get away from the stress of the world around me. Also, music is something that we can't run away from in this world, everywhere you go, you hear music blasting out of speakers, whether it be at restaurants or stores or even school. Music is an integral part of our culture and society, and it really isn't something you can completely remove.

9. ItsZiggy

ItsZiggyNew Member

Threads:
    Nope, not a chance. Everything I do is made bearable through music, and if that's taken away from me, at the very least I'm going to be extremely unhappy. Music makes the world a better place.

10. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I'm sure i can, i just don't want to. Life without music is painfully unpleasant to imagine. Music makes life more bearable if you ask me. We all know how unpredictable and crazy life can be, without music it will be worse and just plain boring. Music has become a great part of our survival tactics in life, we listen to music when we're upset, alone or depressed. Without even realizing it, we have become dependent on music to go through the dark moments of our lives. So really, i don't want to go on living without music. Okay, maybe that's overly dramatic but you know what i mean. ;)

11. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    I know I could survive... Duh...

But I would never do it, unless I was forced to give music up somehow... Not in a million years.
    From 12 to like 16 or something, I couldn't even go to sleep without leaving the radio on...
    It's like one the very first things I do after waking up... I just roll out of bed and I'm already blasting something....
    Why would you do it?

12. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    If I absolutely had to I would, but if I had a choice I would pass on it. I enjoy music when I am happy or sad and almost always have some music playing, even if very low, throughout the day. I think a day without music would be difficult and a month would be torturous, in terms of first world problems.

13. kitchencatlover

kitchencatloverMember

Threads:
    I couldn't even begin to imagine trying to live a month without it. I honestly think I need it to live lol. Music is life to me. It's memories and smiles and love and tears and frustration. Not to be cheesy but it's the truth. Especially when I was a teenager if I wasn't listening to music it was because I wasn't able to. Simple lol.

14. Bright7

Bright7Active Member

Threads:
    No, I don't think I could do it. I may not have music playing 24/7, but I still need to play music at some point of the day everday. As a matter of fact, I am listening to music as I type this. I suppose I would survive if I absolutely had too, but it would be a rather dull existence.

15. Navii

NaviiActive Member

Threads:
    I think I could, but it would become boring pretty fast. It's just a great way to relax to just lay on my bed and put on some fine tunes. Music is definitely a thing that makes life better, but it's not necessary to live.

16. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    I keep pretty busy nowadays, so I could really go about 2 months without music. I can substitute by watching movies and working online. I have a day time job to keep me busy so I would be fine. However, after about 2 months I would go crazy.

17. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    Music is really important to me, it's gotten me through some of the hardest times and it's been there when no one else was, so it would be really hard for me to just stop listening to it all the time. I know I could do it, but I sure wouldn't like it.

18. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is true. I've been saying lately that life without music is like life without color. It'd be like living out a silent movie even.

19. AugustGreig

AugustGreigMember

Threads:
    I suppose that it would be possible, but I know I definitely wouldn't want to. Music is just so important. Pay attention the next time you are watching a movie, TV show or commercial. There is music in the background of almost every single commercial on TV. That is because we make a natural connection with music. Music is one of the most important things in my life. I wouldn't want to live without it.

20. erik120

erik120Active Member

Threads:
    I am somewhat of an underground music producer, and the creative process is really tiring, tapping into that part of your consciousness is really weird and sometimes disconnects you but I've had periods when I was depressed or just mentally screwed up and I just didn't listen to any music, not because I couldn't, just because it didn't mean anything to me, I didn't feel anything while listening to it, it had lost its meaning. I've heard this happening to some other artists and friends of mine.

So to answer your question, I think I might have went even more than a month without music, maybe close to 3 or 4 months. I just had other things that my mind occupied itself with, I watched shows on the internet, youtube videos, maybe i listened to a song now and then if I it really meant something to me and I remembered it but aside from that no. Only when I got out of that drained phase did I realise where and how I was and music started having meaning to me once again. Its hard to explain or to understand if you haven't been through this yourself.