Can You Live Without A Refrigerator?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by sidney • Sep 10, 2015.

1. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    It can be done! You can also buy a freezer bag and put ice in it to get cold drinks. I wouldn't store meats that way, unless I was cooking it that day, but it can be done. We are just used to the modern conveniences of having a fridge.

2. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08Active Member

Threads:
    I could live a short time without one though it would be a pain. As long as i had enough ice and several ice chests i could make do. It would require more runs to the grocery store but it is doable. Like i said earlier it would be a pain and a major adjustment. But there trily are worse things than no fridge.

3. ashley0323

ashley0323Member

Threads:
    In this situation, I would get a cooler and a bag of ice. That way you can keep your beverages cool, and even your basic food items like milk, or sandwhich stuff. If you could spare even $50 you might be able to buy a mini fridge.

4. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I could not live without a fridge, especially since I have started my new diet. I like to cook in bulk and freeze it, and then sometimes I will defrost meals in the fridge whilst letting others defrost on the counter. I don't want to buy fresh produce, cook, it only to have it go bad because it wasn't stored correctly. So not, I couldn't live without a fridge. It is stretching the little money that I have and making it count :)

5. Aree Wongwanlee

Aree WongwanleeActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, it's more than possible to live without a refrigerator. It's nice to have one but it's not a mandatory item. A stove is more necessary than a refrigerator. I know because I have lived for many years without a refrigerator. So how do I cope with the food? For one, there are a lot of food which do not need a refrigerator. There are many vegetables which can keep well for many days. Meat and fish, of course, can't. However dried fish can and dried meatballs, too. So, yes, it's possible to live without a refrigerator and not have to eat out every time. Just make sure there is a stove. Or, at least, a cooking pot.

6. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    It's definitely doable. I've been without a refrigerator many times in the past. I've even been without electricity altogether where I've lived before and I managed just fine. You can use cool boxes or cool bags for keeping things cooler if it's a hot day or buy some ice to keep things cooler if it's really vital that you keep things cool, but I found that I was able to do just fine even without electricity. I just bought foods that could be cooked on a camping stove, barbecue or fire and ate things that were able to be stored without a refrigerator. Things like carrots or apples do just fine without being stored in the refrigerator, and I bought some canned fish to have with the vegetables I had. I was fine with this for around 3 months. I'm sure it helps that I don't use any dairy products due to allergies, though. Those would need to be stored in a refrigerator.

7. abonnen

abonnenActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I could, and have, last month my fridge went out and we had to wait 15 days before we could afford and find a new one, it wasn't that hard, we just ate a lot of veggie based foods, and bean based food and would buy some meat as needed. It sucked but it can be done, once we had to live 17 days with out electricity, its not really a huge deal you just have to learn to make do with what life provides you I believe. As for cold water, couldn't you just drink cold water out of the tap? I have never had a fridge that had water/ice dispenser.

8. Aree Wongwanlee

Aree WongwanleeActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, without a refrigerator, the first thing that's missed is the cold water from the refrigerator. The cold water from the tap is just not the same. Besides the tap water where I live is not exactly palatable. However, without a refrigerator, it's a good time to enjoy hot drinks instead. Hot tea and hot milk drinks have a taste of their own. Same with hot coffee. And, if only an iced drink will do, then 7/11 is not really that far away.

9. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    It's possible to live without a refrigerator but that would make a lot of stuff more expensive. When our refrigerator broke down for a week, I had to buy meat from a neighborhood store which is priced 20% more than the meat at the supermarket. I also had to buy ice to cool the water or worse, buy softdrinks to quench my thirst/craving for a cold drink. I can't go to the market on a daily basis to buy fresh meat as we're living in a secluded or remote village. I also don't want to subsist on canned goods or noodles which are common food choices when there's no refrigerator.

10. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I can live without a refrigerator, it's going to be tough at the beginning being that I am so used to the machine and other perishable stuffs. If I no longer have a refrigerator then I will cut down drastically on purchase of perishable and other stuffs that would require me to refrigerate. I will go for quantities that will last me for one or maximum two days.

11. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The refrigerator is a necessity of this mordern life, from the food preservation to the cold drinks that we are used to. Whenever there would be a power outage for a long time, I am forced to buy a block of ice to keep our food and drinks cool. That’s how we are dependent on the refrigerator not to mention that we always have leftover food that is preserved inside it.

12. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    In your place, reg is indispensable. It seems a necessity for an advanced and well-developed country. But for us, having is a social status symbol. That means you are well-to-do. You are rich. You are earning a high salary. In my own case, I belong to a middle class income earner. Either there is a ref or not, it doesn't affect my way of life. In other words, I could and my family could do without the assistance or the facility of refrigerator when it comes to my water daily needs.

13. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I can't because I don't have the budget or time to survive without one. I depend on making a huge meal that lasts me three to five days and without a fridge, I can't do that. If I didn't have one, either I wouldn't eat or I wouldn't have rent money because I would have to purchase expensive cooked food. Purchasing a fridge is the best money saving investment you can make.

#53Dec 29, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  14. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I can and have lived without a ref in the hottest of temperatures. I think it's just a habit that we build and start taking things for granted.

We become so gadget dependent that we forget the fact that they are there for luxury not a necessity.

We started without them and can continue without too. It's just that life will become more laborious.

15. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Well it was done for millions of years, so yes, but at the same time it would certainly take a big shift in the way that you live. I know that I would have issues with having to catch all my meals.

16. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I lived without a fridge for two months since I could t afford one. We had to buy food daily and that turned out to be too expensive in the long run. There is nothing like having everything available in your fridge so it can last a few days. Now that I have a fridge we save a lot more as we don't have to buy from the stores near here where things tend to be more expensive. Instead, we go to the grocery store and buy things that are discounted that can last up to a week.

17. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    Not too long ago, my hubby and I used to live without a refrigerator. We go to the market everyday to buy meat or whatever food that we like for the day. The only food that we can buy at the grocery are those that won't spoil like canned goods, noodles and dried stuffs. It's quite hard but we were able to live without it. The other thing is that you can't store desserts which I really hate (without having a fridge) since I love ice cream and cakes.

We've experienced how hard it is without a fridge that's why now that we have one, we'll see to it that we won't be living without it again :)

18. My Last Dollar

My Last DollarNew Member

Threads:
    I have never lived without one, but I can see how it can be done. Like another poster said, just buy food, that you would normally refrigerate, on a day to day basis. Also, if you live in a cool year-round climate, out in the country with a stream on your property, that water will keep things nice and cool for you.

19. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't say it would be impossible (considering the fact that we, humans, lived very well without them decades ago), but today, it would be quite complicated to adhere to other eating routines.

We live in a world where everything needs to be made easier, so... It would be really complicated to live without a refrigerator.

20. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    It's possible to live without a fridge, but it makes life harder. It also tends to make it more expensive. The more frequently you shop for food, the more you are likely to spend. Processed foods also cost more than cooking from scratch and there's nowhere to store perishable leftovers.

We were without power once during an ice storm. It was cold enough outside to keep some of the items from our fridge cold, but most of the meat from the freezer thawed pretty quickly. We had a big cookout with friends and family and fed a lot of people. Much better to share it than to waste it.

Anyway, yes, I could live without a fridge, but I would rather not. You might want to shop around and see if you can find an affordable mini fridge or a gently used full size one. Have you checked scratch and dent stores or the scratch and dent section at a home improvement center? You can often get some good discounts if you don't mind a few dings.