Can you save money flying "standby"

Discussion in Travel started by illusion • Oct 24, 2013.

1. illusion

illusionMember

Threads:
    I need to fly to California this January. Round trip tickets look like they will cost $250. I was wondering if anyone had any experiences flying "standby". Does it really save you money? Is the inconvenience worth the savings? I haven't actually flown in the last few years, and I don't know if flying "standby" is that great of a deal anymore. Let me know why your personal experience have been. Thanks! :D

2. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    This method of traveling isn't well known, but is very popular with backpackers, students and savers in general. The airlines report these flight options just a few hours or sometimes even minutes early , so they left in the hands of the traveler be at the airport in time to board the plane. As a "reward" for filling seats that are released in a short time , usually travelers often pay very low prices . If you are alone or just don't care about the short time of notice , is a good way to reduce flight costs .

You can often get discounts for travel in the laboral days of week. The reason is simple , most people prefer to travel during the weekend you can book your flights for weekdays . The best day to fly and savei s usually on Wednesdays. You can analyze the various options to save some money on your next trip. :D

3. illusion

illusionMember

Threads:
    Thanks for the input. I have a fair amount of freedom with my schedule for this trip. Saving money is the most concern I have, and anywhere that I can cut costs will help. I've been debating about shelling out the money for the ticket just so I don't have a concern about getting on a flight. But, I think that at the time I'm traveling, it shouldn't be a busy travel season. So, it might make more sense to wait to find discounts or just fly standby.

4. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    This is the first time I heard of this method. Is this also possible with International flights? And how exactly do I do this?

5. Carolinacustom

CarolinacustomNew Member

Threads:
    I had no idea you could do this either??? This seems like a fun and cheaper way to travel, but I wonder about the logistics. After the seats are released, it doesn't seem there would be enough time to check in, go through security, and board. I've flown standby before but on a buddy pass and seats were issued in advance. The only downfall with this is if the plane is full, you are bumped to the next flight.