Can You Survive with $10 Per Day?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Mystique • Jun 21, 2012.

1. FlipKup

FlipKupMember

Threads:
    That is one meal here in Toronto. I would starve to death. Maybe in another country, but not here in North America. For that I could get one full meal from McDonald's... maybe! It's really a sad situation to even imagine myself being in!

2. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I could survive off of $10 a day because when I first started living on my own I was going off of $5 a day. It was fast food all the time, but I managed to tough it out. Sometimes I would go over the limit if I had the extra money, but it's certainly possible. I would suggest you do that because of health reasons, but if it was necessary I could do it.

3. dreyz

dreyzMember

Threads:
    $10 in my country is sufficient to last for 3 full meals for one person, if you don't go to the normal coffee shops and typical restaurants. But if you were to include grocery shopping and other things, it's not possible here.

4. trident252

trident252Member

Threads:
    With some really good planning, maybe. But $10 a day means just the bare necessities. Nothing fancy and no luxuries.

5. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    If I was feeding myself, maybe. You wouldn't be able to buy any luxuries, that's for sure. If you took the time to look about I think it's possible, but that's what most peope lack these days is spare time. Everyone's usually in a rush while shopping so buy on instinct, which is wrong to do.

6. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    When I was in the Philippines, $10 is a lot to cover for a day! But when I get to Los Angeles, $10 is nothing but lose change! It's so expensive out here! I'd survive more than that for a day. Perhaps $25.

7. aprilgilliam

aprilgilliamNew Member

Threads:
    Around here, I could either get a bunch of items off of a value menu (which, let's face it, you may get quantity, but certainly not quality.) or I could actually get a rather large portion of italian or mexican cuisine. The best thing is that the italian comes with free bread, and the mexican comes with free chips and salsa. This would run me about 9.00, so I would have money left over to pay for tax.

8. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I mean, you *could* but it's not very good food. You could live off the 99 cent or $1 menus as places like Wendy's or McDonald's or Burger King.

I guess another place to consider is DiBella's Subs, their large sub is enormous. You could cut it into 3 and eat it for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. You'd be getting your vegetables too if you load up on them when they are building your sandwich.

Now, $10 in groceries, easily. There was a series of videos on Youtube called $4 Challenge, that were pretty interesting. Here's one:

9. Blossom

BlossomActive Member

Threads:
    I actually could probably survive off of less than $10 a day. I don't eat large portions and could eat off of the dollar menu and most fast food restaurants and drink water instead of buying tea or soda. If I wanted to buy food from the grocery store instead, I could buy a couple of frozen dinners, a pack of oodles of noodles and a soda.

10. Kaila

KailaNew Member

Threads:
    In Thailand, where I live, I can definitely live on $10 a day for food. You can get just about any Thai dish for about $2 or $3, and drinks for about $2 each. The Thai dishes are delicious and you don't have to be terribly adventurous to enjoy them - pad Thai is a fried noodle dish that almost all visitors here enjoy, and green curry is so delicious - you've probably tried it back home at your local Thai restaurant! The cool thing is that in Thailand, of course, the Thai food is SO much better than even the most expensive Thai restaurant could cook back home, because the dishes are made from the freshest ingredients, by chefs who have been making and perfecting the same dishes their entire lives!

11. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    I live in New York City so no you cannot survive on $10 a day unless you're buying from McDonald's $1 menu every day. Or Burger King's $1 menu. It's just not gonna happen in certain places. And New York is one of them. I can spend $10 at lunch. But for the whole day? Hell naw.

12. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    I live in NYC an it's difficult to find cheap deals or specials since it's very expenisive. I can't manage to pay $10 for all 3 meals in a day however I can find meals in the City for under $10. For instance some of my favs- Breakfast $7.oo will get me a large Dunkin Donuts coffee, a veggie breakfast burrito and a side order of hash browns. If I fill out the free survey on my receipt my next visit I get a free donut. For lunch, for $5 I can go to the local Spanish restaurant and for take out I can get 2 beef empanadas and side order of rice and veggies. For dinner, I can get a special at the pizza place and for $4.50 I get two plain slices and a can of soda. These are just a few different ways to get meals on the cheap.

13. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    I can survive on $10 a day, if I buy groceries from my local supermarket. If I was to eat out regularly it would cost over $10. I grew up in South America and $10 a day sometimes was enough to feed a at least 3-6 people for the day. I live in New Jersey now and eating out is a little pricey. The only way $10 may work is if I purchased food off the dollar menu at fast food chains and sometimes $10 is even stretching it.

14. AnonaMoss

AnonaMossActive Member

Threads:
    Yes. With $10 per I could make a number of dishes that yield three meals - all of them may not be quite healthy.

As for the question at hand ----->

With $10 at a restaurant or cafe:

-3 spring rolls
    -2 bowls of 4oz wanton soup
    -Pad Thai
    -Free Water

15. Kam147

Kam147Member

Threads:
    I can and have survived with $10 per day for food, but it was not a pleasant experience. Without getting into a lot of details, I can say that I ate a lot of mac and cheese, Vienna sausage, saltine crackers, scrambled eggs, and canned green beans. You don't want to know how I frequently mixed the aforementioned items - it usually wasn't pretty to look at or eat.

16. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Fix your own meals, that would be a cheaper and healthier option. You at least know what you eat. If you are thinking of eating every meal from a restaurant you may also have to think of the money you have to pay towards your medical bills. Healthy food is not really expensive you just need to plan properly.

17. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    I agree with this! $10 a day is a lot to spend at the grocery store. That's $300 a month that you can use! You can make so many healthy and delicious meals if you made it all yourself - rice and pastas are a great base. Vegetables that are in season, different cuts of meat, and a diverse spice rack can really kick things up a notch. Everyone is talking about going to get fast food and using the dollar menu, but that is really a waste! If you do a little bit of research and are willing to learn about cooking, you can truly make three great meals and a snack for $10 a day without feeling deprived in any way, shape, or form.

18. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Here in our area, there are many home cooked meals that are being sold everywhere for a cheap price, like $1 per serving. A chicken and rice meal in Ministop costs $1.60. So I can pretty much live on $10 a day. But if you use that $10 to dine outside or even buy a meal from McDonald's, then obviously it won't be enough for 3 meals. Maybe it can afford only 1 or 2 low budget meals from McDonald's, perhaps.

19. Ich bin Gia

Ich bin GiaMember

Threads:
    I know I can eat with $10 a day easily. I think the key is not buying restaurant food though. In Vancouver Canada a super sized meal at Mcdonalds will cost nearly $10 dollars and its absolutely vile.

On the other hand, Pasta or potatoes, one type of meat and some veggies can make a few great meals.

For instance, you can buy a whole chicken on sale for $4.90 and cut it up into parts. $2.49 for a huge bag of potatoes or $1.50 for a bag of pasta and in my produce market they have a $1.00 bin with fresh produce such as broccoli, green peppers, corn, lettuce, lemons and more. You can make a few meals from that and even feed a whole family, let alone one person. I think I can actually make $10 stretch out to feed me and another person for 3 days LOL.

20. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    When I first moved out and money was tight, I would always keep my shelves stocked up with cans of tomato sauce and spaghetti. You could make a big plate of spaghetti for about a buck. For breakfast it was usually eggs and toast, or peanut butter and jelly on toast. The coffee and the orange juice I would have with it were probably the most expensive items, but that could easily be changed by switching from juices/coffee/sodas to hot tea and iced tea. The dollar stores in my area sell boxes of Liption tea packets for only $1.

For lunch, I would typically have a Hot Pocket - I would buy the bulk packs of them to save even more. They last forever in the freezer too, so you don't have to worry about them going bad.