Can you train a dog not to bark at night?

Discussion in Pets started by isabbbela • Oct 8, 2014.

1. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My dog was really quiet when he was a puppy. He would rarely bark at all. After he grew a little older and started spending more time with my aunt’s dog, he learned to bark.... My aunt’s dog is a Schnauzer, so imagine the drama.... That breed barks so much!!

The result is, now my dog is 1 year old and a freaking barker! He cannot hear another dog barking somewhere else and he will start barking too! It’s a nightmare... However, I don’t mind him barking as much during the day. But at night is a different story! I can’t stand to be woken up by a loud bark, sometimes I wake up jumping in bed at the loud bark right next to me.

If you have dogs, please, please help me! How can I make my dog stop barking at night???

2. MrsWilson2012

MrsWilson2012Member

Threads:
    I put my dogs in a crate at night so they can sleep inside, where they don't bark as much. If they still bark, I put a blanket over the crate so it blocks the front and makes it dark inside. It works for my dogs, but then mine have also been trained this way since they were small pups.

3. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I have never thought such a thing is possible. Dogs are meant to bark and that is the prime reason people started using dog as pets. I think some dogs understand their owners very well and learn to be with them and understand their body language. Hence, when you ask them to be quite they are able to do so.

4. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I will not sleep properly if my dogs cannot bark at night. How would I know if there is an intruder? One time, we found out that a thief was on our roof because our dogs kept on barking. Oftentimes, dogs bark at night because they want something. Find out what that is, and your dog will be quiet.

5. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    I wish there was a simple solution to this problem. We have 2 dogs that bark at the sound of the wind blowing!! Always at night too! We have a 2 story home so they are downstairs and we are up so it's a little better but they manage to wake one of us up every night.

I have heard also that crate training and putting a blanket over the cage helps to keep them calm and relaxed.

Danyel :)

6. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    I had a roommate who owned a wiener dog and it would drive us INSANE at night! It would never stop yapping! You'd think the thing had a broken limb! After weeks of suffering through it, my roommate took her dog to the vet and got the dog a prescription for doggy anxiety pills. BAM! The barking stopped. Her dog would simply get too anxious at night and freak out. After taking the pills she slept soundly and no more barking, yay!

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Your dog could be barking because he is lonely. When he hears other dogs barking, this could be a way of communicating with other dogs, "I'm here guys, why don't you come over."

You can train your dog to stop barking when you issue the "quiet" command. It won't be easy though because dogs communicate by barking. One method you could try is telling your dog to be quiet the moment he starts barking. He won't respond immediately but once he's quiet, firmly tell him to be quiet and give him a treat. Repeat this until the dog learns being quiet will get him a treat. Once he's learned to obey your command, cut out the treats.

8. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree. I'm not sure if you can really stop them completely. As much as it is a nuisance, dogs need to bark. It's in their instinct and when they can't they're not going to be able to do their job.
    I guess I'm lucky though because while my Pom is mouthy he doesn't usually bark at night.

9. Evelyn Freshsmith

Evelyn FreshsmithMember

Threads:
    Yes this is a plausible explanation!

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our dog also barks when he hears other dogs barking, and it can be very annoying when you are sleeping soundly at night! I guess there's really not much you can do but "command" your dog to stop barking by raising your voice and talking to him and tell him to stop. It works everytime over here.