Candles And Soap - Why?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by Danii • Jan 30, 2015.

1. Danii

DaniiMember

Threads:
    I don't get it. Why do people give candles and soap as gifts so often? I really don't see how this could be a useful gift or something someone might like.

If I don't know a person very well, I'll get them a giftcard or something. At least that person can buy something they like with it.

Have you ever given candles and/or soap as presents?

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Every body takes a bath so giving soap as a gift is helpful when it is expensive good smelling soap. Candles are used to set the mood for special times. I like to receive both, this Christmas I did not get any soap or candles, I was a little disappointed, now I have to purchase my own soap.

3. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that people give such gifts so often because everybody has to bathe, and likes to smell good. Plus, if you do not know someone very well but would like to get them a little something, candles and soaps are great gifts as a general thing. You can't really go wrong, except for the fact that everyone does this. Or the scent of the candles and soap could not be to the recipient's liking.

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it's one of those things where you really need to know that person very well. I mean yes, we all bath and shower, but not all women are all frills and cuteness; some are butch, rough and ready ladies.- and there's nothing wrong with either. The point I'm trying to make is soap and candles are more for women like me, all girlie types; but having said I don't want them all the time. You just have to use your common sense, really.

5. blueeyes

blueeyesActive Member

Threads:
    I have given both as gifts but only to people I know will truly enjoy them. I am a candle freak, myself and my friends know that the best gift they can give me is scented candles. I do appreciate candles for gifts but agree, they aren't for everyone.

6. Danii

DaniiMember

Threads:
    Everyone uses soap? Really? I find that sounds very unconsiderate. Everyone drinks water, why not give them 10 gallons of water then?

I don't know, I think gifts should be more thoughtful. Gifts should show you care about that person. Ok, if the person is a candle freak, get them candles, sure. But if you don't know anything about a person, I think a giftcard is the way to go.

7. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I love candles and really appreciate receiving the kinds I won't buy for myself because they're so expensive. I wouldn't so much like receiving soaps, though, as I make my own and have done for years; but everyone who knows me is aware of that. Neither do I tend to give soaps--my soaps--as gifts. I do give some away at times, just not specifically as gifts.
    I'm certainly not above giving candles, though, to those who appreciate them like I do.

8. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Plenty of people LIKE candles and soap. If you don't and you receive them as gifts, you are always free to give them to someone else. People are free to give whatever they see fit, and if someone gives you a gift it should be received graciously.

9. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, plenty of people like candles and soap and you can never have enough of it. Plus, I have been given these gifts a number of times, and brands that I never would have purchased for myself, and from using those brands, I discovered some long-standing soaps and candles that I would not have otherwise known about.

10. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't see anything wrong with it. I don't see it as not putting much thought into it, since I try to pick candles or soap with the person in mind, such as choosing their favorite color or scent. Some people actually consider gift cards to be less than thoughtful, although I've never minded receiving one. Also, if it's someone you don't know very well, how do you know what kind of gift card to get them? I mean, like if you don't know them well enough to pick out a candle or soap for them, how will you know which shop or restaurant to choose for them when picking up a gift card?

11. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    They are both neutral gifts even if you don't use them you can re-gift or put the candle out for decoration and soap for guests to use if you don't like the scent. The scent is the main thing for me for candles and everyone uses soap to wash their hands at least, so its a gift everyone can use. I would prefer it to a gift card, because a gift card means I usually have to buy over the value to use it up.
    For me they are useful and its the thought that counts.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that it's because it's such a generic gift, and everyone is bound to use them at some point or the other. But sometimes, I think they are also re-gifts, you know? I think I would also give one a candle or a soap if it's just lying around there and it isn't being used for years.

13. Flowerpower

FlowerpowerMember

Threads:
    I've never bought either for anybody, they seem like generic gifts to give someone. I'd rather personalize the gift; if they like to read, I'd get them a book, If they like plants, maybe a potted flower?
    There's also the aspect of the recipient thinking "Hmm, soap again, I wonder of they're trying to tell me something?"

14. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't even use soap, I prefer shower gel and have liquid handwash at my sinks. I've never been bothered about candles either, OK, they look good but I think they're a fire hazard and completely unsuitable if you have young children. I'd prefer a giftcard anytime. I wouldn't be that upset about receiving soap or candles really, I'd just pass them to someone who would appreciate them.

15. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    It just comes under the broader category of "smelly gifts". It's just something that seems to be a staple of gift-giving, and it's a nice easy cheap thing for the giver which I appreciate :p Tradition dictates that it's acceptable so people do it.

16. Sunshine

SunshineActive Member

Threads:
    Candles and soaps are just safe, token type gifts that are impersonal but thoughtful at the same time. That is the best kind of gift to give women you don't know very well. But it is a very feminine gift, so if a woman is not feminine, it can be a pretty bad gift. I once gave a nice soap as as small token gift to an un-girly type lady, and I think she was actually offended, like did I give her soap to wash up or something!

Gift cards are nice but can be a little inappropriate if you don't know someone too well and it is not a big occasion, like a wedding or shower or something. It is almost too much of a gift and can be taken the wrong way too.

17. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I guess it would depend on some factors for me whether soap or candles would be a good gift idea for someone. First of all if you are someone who love to make either candles or soap then this does make a great gift idea, because its something you made yourself, and no doubt made from good ingredients.

Second, the person the gift is being bought for. Do you happen to know that they love different scented soaps, or scented candles. I have a good friend who loves scented candles, so I am always buying them for her a Christmas because these are something she uses all the time and don't last. Perhaps this is why these two things are given as gifts people use them all the time but they don't last.

18. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I think it depends on the person you're giving them too? I gave my Father's girlfriend a candle this past Christmas, but only because she had been talking about how much she needed some more candles the month prior. So, she was very pleased with her "Salted Caramel" scented soy candle when she got it.

I do understand a little bit though. My father's girlfriend's mother will give all of the women in the family some soap for Christmas, including me, but I can never use it. I personally use organic soaps, since my skin gets irritated by chemicals easily. So, when she gives me these soaps from Philosophy, I end up just passing them to some of my friends who can use them, because I can't. Which sucks. (Also, the kicker is, I've told her that I can't use them multiple times! I'm always apologetic about it, but she keeps giving me things I can't use.)

But yeah, before giving candles or soaps, you have to make sure the person you're giving it too would genuinely like to receive them as gifts! You also have to be sure of scents the like too. I can't tell you how many times people have given me a nice organic soap, only to have it be cucumber scented. ;)

19. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I guess it depends on that person to whom you are going to give it to. As for me, I'm not a fan of candles and soap. Though I love taking a bath, I don't think I'd appreciate them as a gift. Actually, I'll find it even more offensive, because this person gave me a soap, does he/she thinks I am stinky, that I badly need to take a shower? That's why it's much better to ask the person first what he/she prefers for a gift to avoid hurting others' feelings and be appreciated in the process.

20. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I think it's a generic gift which almost everyone can use, especially when you don't know the person's interests and hobbies very well. Normally I would only exchange such gifts with people that I'm more distant to.

Also, candles and soaps are quite non-perishable, and hence some people might prefer them as a means of re-gifting. You get to save money but still keep to the spirit of giving during the festive season.