Candles

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by PennyPincher • May 13, 2016.

1. PennyPincher

PennyPincherMember

Threads:
    Would you ever burn candles just to save on your electricity? I am considering doing this as an experiment. I thought about using candles after dark until we go to bed for the last two weeks of this month. I would like to know if this would make a difference in the cost of our electricity bill.

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It does make a difference, but it does depend on what you do. I mean if you are watching television or on the computer surfing or playing games I don't think it will make much difference. If you are just sitting and having a meal then maybe or a bath.

Reading by candlelight is not a great idea as it can be an unnecessary strain. In the old days they had no choice, but you do.

3. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Candles are not a good alternative to electricity. Candles are not cheap in the long run though a single candle costs a fraction of a dollar. It doesn't last for more than two days of continuous illumination. The quality of lighting is not high. From my experience, candles can save on costs as an alternative to other sources of lighting when there are power outages.

4. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, candles are especially cheap. And they really are not going to be cheap if you have an accident and burn your house down. I think you would need a huge amount of candles to give you the type of lighting you get from electricity. It is just one of the options that fell out of favor when other alternatives became available. Battery operated lights from the dollar store might be good though.

5. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've had to use candles in a pinch when the power has gone out. It is cheaper than regular lighting, but I'm not sure it's really worth it. You may strain your eyes, as Theo noted, or God forbid have a fire. I'd recommend only using candles that are deep inside a glass container where the flame cannot reach anything. Make sure kids and pets can't reach them, and make sure you don't forget to put them out.

I could see maybe doing this a couple nights a week for ambience and relaxation (with the benefit of savings), but i don't think I'd want to do it on a regular basis.

6. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Candles offer limited light. A single stick's illumination can only cover a small radius and when you have important things to do such as study for an exam, review official documents or browse through the net, it would be difficult to accomplish your tasks and there's always the probability of accidentally knocking over a candle and setting your house on fire. All it takes to actually save up on your utility bills is discipline and time management. You have to have presence of mind all the time and stop overindulging in unnecessary energy-consuming activities.

7. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08Active Member

Threads:
    My son and I do this, especially in autumn. Mainly we do it because it creates a cozy atmosphere when we watching television. However, you have quite a good idea. We may switch to doing this year round. I am for anything that saves me money.