Car seat advice

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by SarahLizzie • May 4, 2012.

1. SarahLizzie

SarahLizzieActive Member

Threads:
    So I have my 21 month old in the toddler car seat. Where the lap bar comes down in front of the child. Well it does not matter what I do with the straps, this little girl can climb her way. I even tried a new car seat, with the straps int he front that kind of resemble a harness so to speak. She can climb out of that as well. I do not know what to do. I cannot keep my daughter in her car seat. This is not making it easy for me to even drive her to the babysitter when I have to go to work. Anyone have any suggestions? Know of any other type of seat or strap or anything along those lines i can buy to keep her strapped in to the point she cannot climb out? If so can let me know where to find it as well?

Thankyou!

2. deecee

deeceeActive Member

Threads:
    I think she is just at the age where she is asserting herself, and no seat will hold her. You may have to try some reward system or something to help her learn that climbing out is not negotiable.

3. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    I agree. If no harness can hold her in her seat than outsmarting her is your best bet here. Scientifically reward systems work better than any other kind of conditiong with children. Try reviewing some reward systems online and see what seems to fit best for your daughters activity.

4. Scarletpyxi

ScarletpyxiMember

Threads:
    I have a very intelligent three year old who is very strong (and the size of an average five year old.) He has figured out how to put his straps on for the harness but cannot get them off. I use a Safety 1st Complete Air 65 Convertible Car Seat - Lemans. You can find it at Babies R' Us, and it has been marked down quite a bit since I purchased mine. It is also extremely safe, and it will be large enough to safely seat your daughter until she is ready for a booster seat.

5. amyfromky

amyfromkyNew Member

Threads:
    How tight are her straps? She should not have enough slack to get out of her seat. When you put her in her seat, tighten the straps until you can no longer pinch any slack. Make sure the chest clip is at nipple level. If she tries to pull the chest clip down, put the scratchy side of Velcro to the outside of it and that probably will deter her from messing with it. If all else fails, you will just have to punish her. I definitely would not be above pulling over to a safe place and putting my son in timeout, if he were to take off his straps. Also, talk to her about how she must stay in her seat to stay safe. We have really pushed car/car seat safety with my 2 year old and he will be the first one to tell us to buckle up tight as soon as we get in the car.

6. englerja

englerjaMember

Threads:
    I agree with this. It really sounds like the straps are likely not tight enough. I have a very dexterious 3 and 5 year old and until just recently my 5 year old could not get out of her seat. She has finally gotten the hang of undoing the clips and she can get herself out now but she also knows not to until I tell her it is ok. Some things you could try are putting her in the seat, tightening the harness all the way and then put a button up shirt on her backwards so she cannot get to the straps to move them or unbuckle them. Some moms will also take an old sock and cut the toe out of it then kind of snap the chest clip inside of the sock so she can't get to the chest clip. Car seat safety is a big issue of mine.

7. jennyjamison03@gmail.com

Threads:
    Try the

brands as of 2012 are Britax, Graco, Evenflo Tribute, Cosco Safety 1st and Alpha Omega Elite. :)