Car shopping is stressful or not?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Lady350 • Dec 4, 2014.

1. Lady350

Lady350Member

Threads:
    My husband really wanted a new vehicle and spent hours and days looking online for one. He finally went to a dealer for a vehicle that he wanted. When we got there, they told us that it had too many miles on it and a bank would not give us a loan for it. Well, why is it even being displayed? It seems like if your go for a vehicle that you would love, then they give you a vehicle that you will just like. This does not make since to me!

2. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, car shopping is very stressful. Even though L.A. public transportation is improving, a person still needs a car to get around. I am also car shopping at the moment.
    In the past, I have bought cars from private parties, at impound lots, and financed my second car more than 20 years ago. My issue is that there is no male to accompany me on these trips. My grandfather says he's tired, my ex could tell some things but he still gets stuck with "lemons" also.

This time, my new strategy will be to buy a certified used from a new car lot. Recently, I was in your situation but had the money to pay for the car w/out financing (which I'm trying to avoid) but the car was priced too high for its age. Though I realize that cash would give me room for negotiation, I wasn't up to the process.

3. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Hmm, are you both in the US? because shopping for cars shouldn't be this hard as you both would put it, what about directed your husband to other dealers throughout your country, so that you can have better options, and, be sure to find out first, now that you know, what requirements the banks needs on a car so that they can finance it. banks are very stingy with money and they will only lend if they are going to get back enough

4. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Hmm,@Lady350? are you in the US? I'm sure shopping for a car isn't as hard you as would put it, what about directing your husband to other dealers throughout your country, so that you both have better options, and be sure to find out, now that you know, what requirements are to be met in respect of the loan from the bank before you go car hunting again, you'll save time and energy this way. Next, banks are very stingy with money and they will only lend you if they are going to gain twice or thrice as much as they have loaned to you, so, you don't necessarily have to go the route of bank financing, buy a car within your budget, I'm sure it'll hold up until you can get a car from a bank loan :) I'll be happy to hear that you have gotten a car, keep me posted!

5. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Unless you are getting a brand new car, there is always the chance of it having something wrong if someone is selling it. At times, it is just that the person wants a newer car, or a different one for some reason (like upsizing or downsizing), and then the used car should probably be fine if it is a newer car.
    It woule seem to me that if the car has such high mileage that the bank won't loan on it, then the car might not be such a safe car to buy anyway.
    Sometimes, you can get a car at one of the "buy here--pay here" car lots. They cost more, but they will finance any car; and usually have a warranty while you are paying for the car. It is actually kind of a rent-to-own car, and if you are late on the payment (sometimes even by a day) they can repossess the vehicle, so when you do buy a car at one of these places, be very sure to make the payments in a timely fashion.

6. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I find car shopping to be very stressful, personally. I don't know nearly as much about cars as my husband does, I'm not nearly as interested, it's a BIG purchase...just all around not a recipe for fun in my book. Then you add in additional stressors like that just makes it even worse.

7. nonsiccus

nonsiccusActive Member

Threads:
    Car shopping doesn't necessarily have to be stressful. Nowadays you can do the vast majority of your shopping online, comparing between multiple dealerships and even emailing for quotes. Then you can compare between the quotes and shortlist your top 3-5 and then go in to the store for test drives and what not.

Ideally, you're shopping for a car without any pressure. AKA, consider getting the car before you NEED to get the car.

8. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    Don't go onkine shoppingwhen it comes to buying car. And if you found one bring a mechanic or someone you knew who knows about cars especiallg if you intend to buy secondhand car. This way he can advice you whether to go for it or not.

9. nonsiccus

nonsiccusActive Member

Threads:
    Care to explain why you wouldn't compare prices online first? It saves you the time and effort of needing to visit multiple dealerships where you may wind up with an aggressive salesperson. Many salespeople employ a variety of sales tactics designed to take advantage of you psychologically from the moment you step through the door. There is a huge wealth of information online, if you filter through some of it, you can make a much more informed decision prior to any visit to a brick and mortar dealership.

10. Rhoda D'ettore

Rhoda D'ettoreMember

Threads:
    I LOVE going shopping for cars! The trick is to be well researched and turn the tables on them. I see it as a challenge. First, decide what vehicle you want. Then go to cars.com and find all of that make/model in your area. I print out each car that interests me then print out a kelly blue book value for it. I put them all in a three ring binder, then go on my way. I staple the business card of each sales man to the car's page--- with a note of whether I liked him or the dealership. Once I go through all of the cars, I make a decision. Then I take the car to a mechanic--- only after I search the car myself. Look for leaks, mud, rust... I laid under a car once and realized it was a car that was in Hurricane Katrina but it was NOT listed on the Carfax-- so never trust that.

Be sure to check for unmatched paint or uneven hood, doors, trunk. This could mean the vehicle was hit. If you really go over the car in front of the salesmen, they will assume you know more about cars than they do--- they are not mechanics nor collision men. They are sales people who often only know the make they sell. Which means if it is a used Toyota at a Ford dealer, you will know more than they do. Take advantage of this.

If you are buying a NEW car.. go to the manufacturer site and build what you want. Get the options you want, print it out, then go in there and say "I want THIS car, do not add options.. if you think you are going to try to talk me into something.. then forget it. That guy over there will get the commission on this $45k car. If he thinks he is going to talk me into things.. well then there is a dealer next door. Either way.. I am buying this car. You can either help me and get the money... or not". Then be sure to talk to the sales manager who can make a deal on price. They KNOW they are getting a sale on the car you order, so they can discount it. Plus, you will get a much lower interest rate.

good luck!

11. richc3

richc3Active Member

Threads:
    Dealerships will do anything to nickel and dime you. They say your best friend tends to be your smartphone as you can pull up similar local listings and get quotes right on the spot. That said, when it comes to loans I can see how that would be particularly difficult depending on the figures and of course the circumstances of the people involved. I do agree with you though on how a bit of common sense can go a long way.

12. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't shopped for a new car in nearly 10 years - I've been driving the last one I bought for as long as it will last, and enjoying not having to make car payments for the time being. I'm currently driving a 2005 Ford Escape, which has served me well, is reasonable on gas, and has great visibility while driving.

However I did get kind of misled when I bought it, specifically with regards to the audio system in it. I found one model of the Ford Escape that I really liked, and checked everything out on it including the audio system to make sure it was the premium one so I would not have to replace it. Then I simply told the salesman that I wanted that vehicle but in white if they had it. He assured me they did, and it looked all the same. But when I drove out of the place with it I immediately realized it was the bare bones audio system.

In hindsight I regret not haggling them more about this, and perhaps demanding they upgrade the audio in it - but at the time I felt like I wasn't going to get anywhere with them about it, and I did not feel like going through all that paperwork again and having them hit my credit again (if perhaps they needed to, to adjust the loan). It ended up costing me another $2.000 approximately to replace all the speakers and the deck with better equipment, but that also meant ripping my car apart and having to also install an amplifier - plus the audio deck didn't really match the interior of my car and I had to use one of those aftermarket adapters to fit it in.

13. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Car shopping is so stressful!!!! I only ever bought one car, and my dad paid for it, so I never went through the whole process on my own but I remember it being a nightmare to look for the right car, negotiating the price, accessories and stuff like that. I plan on getting a new car in 2015 and I'm sure it will be a long process until I find the right one for the right price! But it's just something we need to go through!

14. milyjohnson

milyjohnsonActive Member

Threads:
    This is good to know because I plan on buying a car sometime in 2015. I haven't actually bought a car before either because my father also bought me a car. He got it from my aunt so he didn't have to go through any stress. I am already anticipating going through a lot when I buy my car so these things are good to know so I will know what I am in for when I go car shopping.

15. ignite1hp

ignite1hpNew Member

Threads:
    Shopping for a car can absolutely be stressful. The average household spends 850 dollars a year on car repairs which I find absolutely insane. I spend no where near that, hell, I probably haven't spent that in total since I bought my car in 07. Either way take your time when finding a car and find exactly what you want. Make sure you test drive it and spend PLENTY of time in it to make sure it is reliable before you pull the trigger. Also do not buy a car with high mileage as it will not last as long.

16. mylindaelliott

mylindaelliottNew Member

Threads:
    That sounds like a 'bait and switch' technique that some salesmen use to sell cars. I agree it's annoying and doesn't make sense. I suppose salesmen at car dealers do it to increase sales and commissions but it is not right. I would go to another place. There are some reputable car dealers in the world.

17. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    I think that car shopping has the potential to be very stressful. If you are one of those people who used their cars for everything, then you will want to get the best cars for the best price as fast as possible. That situation right there can be extremely stressful. If you are not in a rush and have time to really look, then shopping for a car can be really fun.

18. eagletal88

eagletal88Active Member

Threads:
    I think in general terms car shopping is a stressful experience. But there are ways to reduce your stress levels.

- Most importantly, find a dealership that you trust. If you have a friend that is a dealer, and you trust them, then you are set for finding a good vehicle.
    - It's also good to research online about the vehicle you're interested in. Check for known problems, (transmissions only lasting 100,000 miles, motor issues, ect.)
    - Pay in cash! If possible... No car payments :)

19. zenfive

zenfiveMember

Threads:
    It really depends on what kind of situation your in. However, I do think there are certain things you can do before you start you car search to limit the amount of stress and worry it causes you.

• Firstly I think it's important that you fix a budget that you know you're not going to cross, doing this makes sure that you don't get distracted by anything outside of your budget.
    • Second, decide whether a used or a new car is best for you. Now this depends on what purpose you're buying the car for, for how long do you plan to keep it, why you are getting it, who's going to be driving it etc. Investing a little bit of time in researching both and understanding the pros and cons of each will help you narrow down your search and ensure you waste as little time as possible.
    • Third, think about what kind of car is right for you. Whether that be a SUV, a hatchback, a sedan etc. Of course this also depends on what part of the world you are in, for example in Europe most people drive hatchbacks because the roads are tiny and limited/tight parking spaces in general.
    • Fourth, this is optional, but pick out some car companies that you like and think that you can find one of them in your budget, remember it's important that you actually like the car you're getting..
    So there's some tips from my experience of looking for a car, I hope it makes sense.

20. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    If you're just going from dealership to dealership looking at random cars it can be stressful. But if you know a lot about cars, and do your research beforehand, preferably online, it can be pretty enjoyable and stress free. The more you know, and the more informed decision you make, the happier you will be. It's also a good idea to spend as little time with car salesman as possible.