Car / Truck Diys

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by Diane Lane • May 8, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I couldn't find an overall Diy section, so I decided to make this thread.

I just finished a vehicle DIY, and wanted to share, in case anyone else has had this problem. I have a large vehicle, and a small carport, as well as various stray cats who don't seem to feel the need to get out of my way as I'm pulling in to the carport. So, occasionally, I'll bump the mirror, which then 'falls' off. It doesn't come off entirely, since it's connected with cables/wires, but hangs off the vehicle. I think it was never put back securely after an accident, so it comes off fairly easily, as it doesn't take much of a bump to knock it off. Anyway, what I do when that happens, is, since I don't have a lot of money for a professional repair, is to re-attach the mirror using JB-Weld. The first time it came off, I freaked out, but then I looked around online, and figured out what would work for me. There's no way I could take the inside door panel off by myself in order to do a proper repair, or afford to pay someone else to do it, so I re-attach the mirror this way when it occasionally get knocked off.

Have you ever done a vehicle DIY?

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Why couldn't you remove the inside door panel and repair it yourself, though? I've done tons of vehicle DIY projects on an old Grand Cherokee, and they've all gone pretty smoothly. I've taken apart pieces of the engine, cleaned them, replaced them if necessary, and then put everything back together. It's not that tough.

3. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @troutski@troutski We're each individuals with different knowledge, skills, and abilities.

#3May 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  4. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I do some regular car maintenance, but I've not done a DIY thing. However, I'm sure it's not that difficult. It's probably like doing DIY jobs with computer software. For instance, I can upload blog and forum software, stuff that a lot of computer guys might charge the inexperienced an arm and a leg for. In fact, the simple job of moving a forum, which by the way I cannot do, but could probably learn, costs around 200 USD :eek: on this one mod site.

Anyway, the moral of the story is that DIY, to the best of your ability, of course, saves money.