Car Vs Truck

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by Jason76 • Feb 15, 2017.

1. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    What might be some advantages of owning a truck vs owning a car and visa versa? Well, in regard to trucks, a person can use it to haul things. On the other hand, most trucks cannot handle a lot of people so they're not good for families - unless they ride in the back. :)

By the way, generally speaking, does anyone think that either cars or trucks are cheaper, either in price or in gasoline usage?

#1Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  2. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Car engine is smaller that the truck. Car is ideal for the family use compared to truck. As to its capacity to carry people, truck is better than a car. So as with the fuel used. Car consumes less gasoline for it travel less in mileage as compared to the truck. Car is easy to maintain than the truck. Car needs a few space for its garage while the truck needs a bigger parking space.

3. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    I think nowadays there is a change of trend that families prefer trucks to cars as an all-in-one utility vehicle. You can plan a trip, carry things and there is no need to hire separate vehicles. Vehicle manufacturers also introduce new models which can be used as a car and truck at the same time. They improved the over all driving experience in car-cum-trucks.

I would like to buy a truck in fact but my current financial status doesn't allow me to buy one. That is why I am satisfied for the time being with a small car for my small family. As correctly pointed out by @Nakitakona@Nakitakona truck related expenses are higher than cars; be it its maintenance, gasoline usage or space required.

4. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    The big advantage of owning a truck to a car is that you can use your truck for commercial purposes transporting goods intra or inter city. The truck can be hired out to a trusted hand to manage for business, that way some money would be generated for the owner and at same time employment is created for another person. Your private car cannot be used commercially except you are buying a car for taxi purposes

5. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This thread has been an issue with my sister. She migrated to the US to live with my parents. When I learned that she bought a pickup truck, I asked my father why so. The reply was that my sister wants a vehicle that can carry her bags when she goes on a trip (to a resort maybe). That was foolish because the truck has a big engine that consumes more gas than a car. And to think that she uses the space of the truck once in a blue moon, she was spending gas for nothing.

That situation is similar to our situation now - we have 2 cars, one small and one big. Obviously, we use the small car for our regular trips and the big one for special trips only. That way, we can save on gas.

6. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Thank you, @luckycharm@luckycharm for your rejoinder. It is the best, of course, recommendation for a big family to go out for an excursion or for out of town family bonding activity to avail of the service of a truck or a bus for that purpose. In fact, we are always using the truck not only for our family but especially those school children who are going for an educational field trip rather than to transport them by using a car.

7. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I think that was a mistake I made when I bought my first car I should have channeled the money towards a truck. After the car purchase it dawn on me I should have gone for a truck perhaps that would have help generate money that would be enough to buy a private car. I'd advise persons with shaking money for a car to go for a truck or a commercial bus or taxi. Let the truck or bus generate money for you.

8. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I would consider buying a truck rather than a car. Not only are trucks
    durable, they have better fuel economy compared to cars and can be
    used in more ways including ferrying cargo which a car cannot. But if
    you buy a factory car like a Probox, you can't be wrong.

9. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I am such a rubbish parker that I have a car that is as small as possible so that I won't have a parking accident. I can see the benefits of owning a truck and I did have a jeep once but the running costs were high. Petrol over in the UK is very expensive compared to the US and it was such a thirsty vehicle.

10. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    For families, a car will be ideal and cheaper when it comes to fuel price because it has a small engine compared to the truck. On the other hand, a truck will be useful if you have a business which you have to transport things, for delivery purposes etc. It depends on the requirements.

11. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    Nowadays, there are trucks that are family friendly. Haven't you ever seen these double cab pick ups which are built to offer a good bit of comfort to the occupants and meanwhile offering a considerable amount of haulage capacity? Not all of these trucks are designed to be gas guzzlers. It may depend on the engine design and the type of fuel that it uses. The pickup doesn't necessarily have to have a V8 engine, which is a great gas guzzler, to be useful. You could also opt for the diesel fuel burning type of engine which will allow you to really save on fuel consumption costs. The truck may probably not be as luxurious as some cars may be but it will be more durable and more reliable and more useful than a car might prove to be especially if it has off-road capabilities.