Caring For Your Battery

Discussion in Internet Broadband Access started by remnant • Sep 27, 2016.

1. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    To make your battery last longer, some some precautions should be taken like not charging when the battery is on and making sure that the battery does not drop to a low of less than 20% which can easily result in damage. A back up battery might be necessary for this case if you use your devices alot. What precautions do you take?

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you mean the phone's battery, I make sure that it is 100% charged before I remove it from the charger. The tech in the office had advised us in charging the laptop that way so I guess it is also applicable with the battery of the phone. And it's also good if you can drain the battery, meaning you use up the entire charge until it drops dead to zero charge. That will somehow clear the battery charge and start afresh with a full load. It is strongly advised never to charge for a short time and then charge again for another short time for it lowers the charge and shortens the life of the battery.

3. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    This is definitely something that I just continue to ignore and skip over, and you can tell me over and over again about the importance and for whatever reason I still will not do it. It really does make a difference though, and I can just tell by using other people's phones and seeing them last so much longer than mine. Oh well, maybe one of these days I will get better.

4. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I'm also doing what most people do in terms of taking good care of their phone's battery. Before I charge my phone, I see to it that it's 15% below, or I'll wait for the pop up reminding me that my phone should be charged, having my phone trickle for 10 minutes right after it was fully charged, never charge it for a short period of time and unplug it until it's fully charged.

In my experience, I think it's the right thing to do because I've been using my phone for more than a year now and still my battery still works as if it's new.

5. buddyman

buddymanNew Member

Threads:
    All really great tips and don't leave your phone in your car or in windows during extremely hot or cold weather because these temperature extremes will have you buying a new battery in no time.

6. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    As already pointed out by OP we should ensure that the battery is charged as soon as it reach 20% mark. If it goes below a certain point its life time will be considerably reduced. While charging we should also avoid using our mobile phones for power hungry applications like gaming. For certain models it is not even safe to use it while charging. But I think nowadays almost all models are safe to use while charging but it can adversely affect the battery performance. Try to fully charge it at one go, frequent disconnections may affect the inbuilt battery memory. This memory is used to show the actual status of mobile/laptop battery.

In case of laptop batteries it is better not to use it while charging. When the battery is full we can use the laptop and it will improve its life.

7. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I also am confused if you really need to not make the battery drop to zero before charging, or you should drain it so that it will be a full charge each time. I have phones will removable batteries, and I make it a point to use the phone until it turns off by itself, and so far, my batteries all have lasted for as long as they normally should, like 2 to 2 and a half years. The ones that lasted shorter than 2 years, well I bought them from China via Ebay, so they may be inferior than the original ones and the ones that I bought locally.

8. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    In this case, a back up battery is of necessity in case the battery won't work or will be damaged due to overuse and overcharging. In my case for example, I have been using the Samsung Galaxy Duos for several years. I never thought that this phone would last for three or so years. Well, the time has come that a replacement for this phone is no longer available. I look everywhere, from the online store, or its compatibility I found none. So that is a problem, I am facing right now.

9. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My camera batteries are 3 years old already and still charging all right. When I charge, I make it a point not to unplug until it is fully charged. That lengthens the life of the rechargeable batteries. For new batteries, use them until you drain before charging for the first time. That is the advice of the electrical engineer.

10. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    This is how I have been caring for the battery of my phone and computer, I make sure I don't allow the battery run down to as low as 10% before charging back. I make sure to have a fully charged battery every time I charge them and then unplug the battery, this I do more often on the phone. I don't like keeping them plugged in when I see its fully charged already.

11. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    Once my charge hits 100%, I remove the plug from the device and I don't let the charge get too low. Once it hits around 30%, it's time to begin charging. Once in while, I remove the battery from the device and place it next to a cool source of air.

12. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I charge my phone batteries when they are around 20%. I have been using the current battery for 3 and a half years. I use my phone almost more than 18 hours per day.

I have never replaced my batteries on any of my previous phones either and all the phones lasted me atleast 3 years minimum.

I use battery saver as well on my phone.

13. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Learned a lot reading all your posts. I just bought a new laptop and it works okay. Just recently it freezes. So I run Windows Defender all the time and it has no problems now when I run my Defender and use my laptop. I don't know much about batteries and laptops only to keep the safe mode on so you use less energy and save your laptop and batteries. Shutting your laptop off completely when not in use also helps your laptop and batteries last longer too. It's simple to do just in settings you find where the shut down mode is so your laptop is completely off when not in use to save your laptop and battery life in the long run. The same for your digital televisions it's best to turn off the digital television from the plug not just your control to let your digital tv last longer. My Insignia television tech taught this to me to turn off your digital television from the plug to make it last longer.

14. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    I think low battery life is one of the burning issues now mainly because of the unnecessary application we download in our smartphones. All of them use your battery even when they are not in use. They keep on updating the status online which also use up your internet data. Google Playstore is the main culprit in eating away your battery power. It is better to deactivate all automatic update options in your phone or at least set it to ask you before updating.

Battery power saver app is also a good option to try which close down all inactive applications in the background which use a considerable part of your battery power.

15. ptahm22

ptahm22Active Member

Threads:
    I've heard that using your phone when charging destroys the battery. I try to maintain my discipline and avoid using the phone until it's fully charged. Phones also tend to lose alot of power when the battery overheats or during high temperatures. Restarting your phone and placing it at a cooler place saves your battery. An alternative battery can also come in handy.

16. adam0908

adam0908New Member

Threads:
    which app save a mobile battery charge???