Cars Or Public Transport?

Discussion in Personal Finance started by reubhole1 • Feb 24, 2015.

1. reubhole1

reubhole1Member

Threads:
    I assume most people on here own a car, or two.
    Do you drive it all the time? even when you deem it unnecessary?
    I don't own a car and get around mostly by bike and public transport. I find this works very well for me, but I can understand that some, or probably most people here depend on having a car to get to work. I live relatively close to my job, so that's one plus for me not owning a car. Those who do, do you think that you could manage without one? Or is that just impossible?

2. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    I do have a car to which my wife is using these days. I sometimes a company her to her office and get her back when its her time to go home. I do have a bike which I can't live without though :D
    I have been using it to travel 7 miles from time to time to buy something to the nearest shop in my area.

3. bombshell

bombshellMember

Threads:
    I drive everyday because it's faster and more convenient. I have two kids that I am always running around with. Granted my job, babysitter, family, and school are all within a 3 mile radius, but I am always on the move. On my days off when things are less hectic I walk to the grocery store by my house or the park in my neighborhood.

4. reubhole1

reubhole1Member

Threads:
    I understand that having children would change your need for a car drastically. I can't imagine hauling around several children on public transport. What a nightmare! Not to mention the possibility of losing one of them. I'm happy at the moment to be childless and free to choose my mode of transport.

5. orz

orzActive Member

Threads:
    I currently don't have a car and couldn't be fussed. I'm a student and the only time I really travel is to college and back of which public transport does a cheaper and more environmentally friendly job. Sometimes I do have longer waits but its nice not having to worry about fuel, insurance or car maintenance.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on the reason why you need one form of transport or another. For those who are farmers for example, like me, there's a lot of stuff that needs to be moved regularly from the farm to town and from town to the farm. If you don't have your own pick up truck it would mean you'd have to pay for transport. That would be a lot more expensive than operating yours.

7. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In many rural areas (like mine) there isn't public transportation. There aren't even taxi cabs anywhere nearby. There are some shuttle buses for seniors to take them shopping, but there is not typical public transportation such as that found in big cities. Outside the little town I live in, everything is at least 20 or more miles away. I can get the basics here in town (gas, bank, small grocery store, post office) but I do my "big shopping" and other stuff in usually one of two cities (*which are each 40'ish miles each way). I have to have a car.

8. orz

orzActive Member

Threads:
    That's very true, I remember going to my relatives home who live in the country and was blown away by attitudes regarding public transport/automobiles between those of us which lived in rural areas and city areas. Seemed to be as soon as someone hit the age where they could legally drive it was their number one priority!

9. reubhole1

reubhole1Member

Threads:
    I guess access to public transport is a must to be able to use it!
    For those that live outside cities a car is a must have, like you said. To even pop to the shop you have to drive for half an hour. I grew up in a small farming town and I understand your need for a vehicle. I also gre up in a large family, so if we didn't have our massive people mover, we were in quite a spot!

10. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have a car, but then again I don't really need one. We used to have one but it didn't make sense economically, particularly as we didn't use it enough. But public transport works perfectly well for us. It's extremely efficient.

11. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, I grew up near a bit city, so I have used public transportation in the past. I live in the country now though. When I lived up there, I used buses as well as trains. I used to take the train into work downtown every day instead of driving. It's was mainly to avoid rush hour traffic, not to mention parking was a nightmare. You couldn't get anywhere near where I worked and find a place to park.

These days though, there just isn't an option. It was pretty weird for me when I first moved here. I didn't have a car.

12. klassiter

klassiterActive Member

Threads:
    I got around on public transportation for years, until I had my children. It is not fun trying to get around with children on public transportation. During this time of year I am really grateful to have a car. It has been a very cold winter. On really cold days and when there is bad weather I am thankful I do not have to stand on a corner to wait for a bus.

13. Flowerpower

FlowerpowerMember

Threads:
    I don't have a car, I also live close to my place of work and don't feel like I need one right now, I don't want the added expense of fuel and insurance right now. I really don't feel like I'm missing out on anything by using public transportation but I do look forward to owning my own car someday.

14. reubhole1

reubhole1Member

Threads:
    That's how I feel

. Although I don't necessarily need a car, I would like to own one someday, just for the convenience of having one. I've moved houses too many times in my life without a car and I can tell you it gets old fast! For now I can manage, but in the future, I would definitely like to have something in the garage. Maybe a motorcycle!

15. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    It depends on your destination. I live in the city wherein public transport is very accessible. There's the Metro, the Tram, Bus and even bicycles. I commute whenever I go to places that are crowded that finding a parking lot is a nightmare. I only use car in a long distance trip, or a trip that requires long hours of travel and public transport is hardly accessible.

16. autograph

autographNew Member

Threads:
    It really depends on your location. If your area has a good public transportation system, I don't see the point of owning a vehicle. A vehicle will incur more expenses like fuel, maintenance, and whatnot.
    However, if your area has unreliable public transport system, owning a vehicle will be a better choice. You should not be wasting your time waiting for the bus that may/may not reach your terminal.

17. ABC123

ABC123Member

Threads:
    It would grand to not own a car. Growing up cars cost my family so much money in repairs and worry. As an adult now, I have the burden of a car. It should be a convenience, but I too have dealt with car break downs, cost, and left to the gracious help of others to change flat tires. It only currently that I have new car. My husband talked me into it. Having a new car is much better then used. I needed a car when I attended collage and then for employment. I had a bad experience with a bike, so I don't ride them. However if things were closer, I would not mind walking. I too have children. However I don't take manmany places.

18. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I don't have a car, and I don't know how to drive, so obviously, I would go with public transportation. Well, I actually prefer a car if only I have a car and a personal driver. Who wouldn't want that kind of convenience, right? ;):D

19. ABC123

ABC123Member

Threads:
    I was talking with our nanny. She is going to 21 on June. Most teens when I was growing up were all about getting their drivers license while in high school. But after talking with her and reflecting on how many people I currently see walking to places in our community, I realize now that many go without cars, because the cost of living is so high and car insurance for young people is really expensive. She and her boyfriend are trying to rent. So she is choosing a car or a rental property. She can't consider both.

20. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have a car. I mostly take public transportation. Sometimes I use my roommate's car, but I prefer not to unless it's an emergency. I look forward to the day when I buy a car. I am saving up for a huge downpayment. I really can't see paying $400 for a car note. It's hard being without a car in Southern California.