Cash On Delivery Or Pay Upfront?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by DrRipley • Apr 30, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I recently got to try out buying from a seller online that sold on a COD (Cash On Delivery) system, and I thought it was great. When I had to pay upfront, I usually would feel uneasy especially if I'm buying from a seller I've never tried before, while this time since I hadn't paid anything, I was a lot less worried. I've bought this way for a number of times now, and I think I'm preferring this method a lot more and don't see much advantage to having to pay upfront. It doesn't really protect me that much in terms of damaged products since I still pay them before I open my package, but at least I have less to worry about in terms of my order not arriving.

Have you guys purchased anything online that didn't require payment until the product got to you? Why don't more sellers just do this instead? Are there more advantages to paying upon order that I'm just not seeing - either for the seller or the buyer?

#1Apr 30, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  2. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer COD every time I order something online. Paying on delivery you can be sure of the quality of the product delivered to you since you can inspect it upfront and if there's anything wrong you can just refuse to pay. When I ordered my phone online, it's COD, the delivery guy even let me open up the package and inspect any damage or problems.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm yet to buy from a seller whom you can pay when the goods you've bought have been delivered but think that since they are willing to pay for shipping before receiving any cash, the chances of them sending defective products/items are quite low. So, if I was to find such a seller, I'd definitely prefer them over the sellers whom I have to pay first before they release what I've ordered.

4. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I personally prefer cash on delivery term but so far I had only been doing that for food and not any other products. Some sellers don't want to offer this way of payment probably because they are worried if the buyers change their mind and return the product back?

5. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    I will request for cash on delivery if am not familiar with the company but if I have been a regular shopper and they always deliver, then I will opt for pay upfront. I will say that so long as there is established trust between you and the company, then there is no point of insisting on getting the cash on delivery.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't tried the COD method yet since the seller always opts for Paypal, bank deposit, or through money transfer. I don't think I will have a problem with the COD method, since I get to pay for the item upon arrival, unless I would be charged extra for that, because I have paid using money transfer and I got charged extra.

7. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think I've ever personally even seen anyone offer a cash upon delivery option...

No wait, I have, but they're on services that will get refunds from Amazon for you, if they're being tricky, or you want to be cheeky and get your money back and keep the product that you bought. So you know, not quite legal services in other words.

8. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I really like the pay-on-delivery system when I buy things directly from stores. A couple of weeks ago I decided to acquire a new mattress and had the option to pay immediately or upon delivery. I chose the latter one, although I did pay for the delivery costs upfront. I prefer it this way, as it will be easier to deal with if there are any problems. But I haven't really come across many sites on the internet that offer this option.

9. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I never use COD, whether I am paying for a service, buying a product or ordering food delivery I prefer to pay upfront. I like doing this because then I know once what I ordered is close to me it is mine and I don't need to worry about anything else. Honestly I didn't really know COD was that popular.