Cashiers: "hi! How'ya Going?"

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by EditorsRHumansToo! • Apr 16, 2015.

1. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo!Member

Threads:
    This greeting from cashiers kinda' wears out on you. No, I take it back. It's not true that I get tired of hearing this cliche. Always, they get an answer from me, "I'm very well, thank you. And how about you?"

It's actually therapeutic for me to be asked that after what seemed like a mile walk to every aisle-- shopping for groceries. Children with me getting a hand outside my grocery list. Which reminds me, because I skimp on cash allotted for the day, I only get what I need to cook for the next three meals.

Cash for groceries really works well with us. I get that sense of freedom to pay for ourselves right there and there on our every trip to the groceries. And keep some savings, beside.

So, my case isn't as grueling as the cashiers who have to deal with unique and different customers each time all day, all week. And still get to smile (some) and ask, "Hi! How'ya going?"

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It doesn't bother me when cashiers ask this and I always say "Fine, thank you."
    We're all trying to have a society here ,so manners and respect are good and I don't fault anyone for trying to be polite, even if the phrase is somewhat clichéd.

3. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Cashiers don't really ask you this here in the UK. If you know them then they might ask how you are but on the whole, there's not usually a great deal of conversation to be had.

4. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Over the years, it seems interpersonal communication and the social niceties have decreased. It used to be commonplace for cashiers and any employees to greet customers as they approached. These days, I'm surprised when one greets me, because they're often chatting with the next cashier or bagger, or ignoring the customers, so I find it pleasant, and respond in kind.

5. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    I don't mind friendly banter with the cashier. I do mind when they analyze my purchases though! I once had a cashier read a greeting card I was buying and then proceed to tell me he thought it was too cheesy. Good thing it wasn't for him! I do know, sometimes, it is a job requirement. Years ago I worked for a fast food chain and would constantly get in trouble because I would always forget to ask if the customer "wanted fries with that."

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't mind because it's part of being in society. I do hate it when cashiers talk to another and never even say anything except the total price. I used to work in retail and sometimes it would be the only person I could speak to if it was quiet, so it was pleasant, just light conversation and very general.

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't mind at all, actually I really rather like it. What grates on me is feeling like the cashier is just going through the motions, on autopilot, and I may as well be a robot. No eye contact, no smile, NOTHING. I sometimes engage them, and they respond very well to that. I gauge it and see if they're stiff or open to it, if they look friendly enough I might say hello and initiate the conversation.

I guess it's easy if you frequent a particular store. My husband and I were very well known to the guys at our local Sainburys, as is the case here with our local Woolies/Spar where we constantly shop.If I rarely go there, I leave it to them.

8. AtlantaSports

AtlantaSportsActive Member

Threads:
    I really do not understand how this could really bother anybody whenever they are talking to a cashier, but maybe that is just me. I love whenever I can have conversations with the people at whatever establishment I am at. It makes me feel like I am not surrounded by emotionless robots. I always used to be that cashier whenever I had my fast food job, because I have noticed some people enjoy that.

9. kana_marie

kana_marieActive Member

Threads:
    I always reply as though they are genuinely asking. And I always tell them the truth. I'm probably more honest with them than my friends or family. If my bus and and I am arguing that day, I tell everyone I know that I'm fine, and keep my personal issues to myself. If a cashier asks me 5 minutes later I tell them the honest to god truth. "I want to strangle my husband! Do you know what he said to me?! I can't believe I married his stupid butt. But anyway, how are YOU doing? Are they keeping you busy today?" It's actually very therapeutic. I always feel better after i have the opportunity to get these things off my chest. And I think they really appreciate an honest answer, too.

10. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that most cashiers are so drilled in saying the same things and doing the same tasks every day, that for many it has become an automatic reaction as soon as a customer approaches them. I often say something unusual to make them aware that there can be life within the daily drill, and many respond and smile, while others just give a tired nod.

11. Grumpy

GrumpyActive Member

Threads:
    What shops do you go to? Upon any visit to any asda, sainsburys, tesco or aldi I get the typical "good morning/afternoon/evening sir, how are you today?". My reply will be "not too bad thanks, how are you?", even if I have had a particularly bad day. The cashier isn't asking you because they want to converse, they're asking you because they want to be polite and they're told to be polite.

12. AtlantaSports

AtlantaSportsActive Member

Threads:
    There was a certain establishment that I worked at that made me say "My pleasure" instead of you're welcome. They also had an oddly specific way for me to ask people if they wanted a refill. It was basically torture for me to get used to saying that because it made me feel so robotic whenever I was talking to people. I did not feel genuine.

13. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like a greeting and maybe even a bit of small talk from a cashier. The world would be a better place if more people were more friendly. In your case, ReadWLL, I would have been none to happy with that cashier. That was just plain nosy and rude of him, if you ask me.

"Would you like fries with that?" really isn't about being polite or friendly though. It is a simple and typical upselling tactic, however, it tends to work better if you have been polite to the customer before asking. If they see you as friendly and welcoming, they are much more likely to make an additional purchase from you.

14. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    When I worked as various cashier roles, I would say stuff like "Hello", and "Have a nice day!", but I refrained from asking people explicitly "How are you doing?". For one thing it puts people on the spot who may not be interested in chatting, and forces them to give you a canned response just to shut you up. But the flip side of that is you sometimes get the person who want's to unload their whole life story on you, and tie up the line of people waiting behind them.

Similarly, when I am out shopping, I don't mind people greeting me with a hello, but I don't want to be interrogated at the register with how I'm doing, or what I'm buying certain items for and such.

15. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I kind of enjoy the pleasantries and banter. Like others have said, it’s nice to feel like not everyone’s on autopilot, or just being emotionless drones. Sometimes cashiers even compliment me on my outfit or makeup, which is a lovely little ego boost. I’ll return the favor as well when it’s appropriate. I like to think it kind of breaks up the possible monotony.

16. Clairelouise84

Clairelouise84Member

Threads:
    I don't mind it so much as long as it is not really insincere, I hate it when they go way over the top and ask you a million questions. But a little bit of back and forth is not so bad, better than being sullen and ignorant I suppose, I hate it when cashiers are like that.

17. worldmachine

worldmachineActive Member

Threads:
    Here in Wales you will often be greeted with ''Hiya butt'' it's just a Welsh thing in the same way you might be called ''mate'' in England. The term ''butt'' is more prevalent in the valleys area of Wales, everyone you meet will say it to you and it always makes me smile.

Cashiers do have some strange ways sometimes, in one local supermarket a cashier there will scan all your items and then sing the total at each customer, it's just bizarre. I wonder if these people just like to be a bit rebellious as they have such a mundane job that they want to amuse themselves, they certainly won't have been trained to behave that way.

18. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    I would welcome a cashier saying something to me. Most of the time they barely acknowledge the customers these days. Deteriorating customer service is a real problem in America. Not sure how it is around the world. Most of these folks seem to be miserable and hate their jobs. They should really find a new line of work if it makes them that miserable.

19. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    This is the first time I've heard the saying, "Hi, howya going?" The thing I hear cashiers say the most of is, "Hi, You find everything ok?" which means did you find everything that you were looking for. I always say, "Yes, I found everything I needed."
    That seems like the standard greeting that you get, once you get to the front of the checkout line.
    Every now and then someone will say something different, like ask how you are, "How's everything going today?" or "How are you today?" Small talk doesn't bother me, as long as I'm not in a hurry, or as long as the cashier is not taking an extra long time in ringing my things up.

20. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo!Member

Threads:
    Me too. I appreciate them for asking. I reply back with a smile. Maybe a smile could help save the cashier's day who might be having a tough and rough day. Shopping can grueling, too. So, a cashier's 'How ya going?' is a welcome start-up.