Cat claw trimmers

Discussion in Pets started by maddie • Oct 9, 2012.

1. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I am too scared to trim my pets claws/nails. I always end up paying the vet quite a bit. I was looking for some safe claw trimmers online and found too many of them and got more confused in the end. Would you recommend a brand that is cheap, easy to use and safe.

2. kate23

kate23Active Member

Threads:
    I have cat clippers like the red pair in the link below that I really like, they're easy to use. They're getting a bit dull now so I'm looking to get some new clippers as well. They aren't bad clippers though, it took them years to get dull. I guess all clippers get dull after awhile.

I also have guillotine style clippers. They're good for some pets because you have to put their nail in the little metal circle thing and then you clip it. The metal circle thing prevents you from clipping too far and is especially helpful for squirmy pets, that way if the pet moves you won't accidentally cut the quick of their nail.

3. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks kate23, That helps, at least I know where to start. I think I will go for the red pair the other one looks a bit difficult to me. Maybe I will also see a youtube video or two to teach myself how to clip my pets nails. I appreciate the response.

4. kate23

kate23Active Member

Threads:
    Yeah, the guillotine style clippers are more a little more difficult because it takes a couple more seconds to put the cat's claw in the metal circle thing, which for a squirmy cat makes a lot of difference because by the time you get their claw in the circle, they might have pulled away. On the other hand, with a squirmy cat you might cut too far if you don't use guillotine clippers...then if their quick is cut it'll hurt, and they might always be afraid of the clippers after that and make it even more difficult to clip their nails. So, if you aren't really confident about it it might just be best to get guillotine clippers. I have both so I can choose which clippers for which cat, based on which works best for the particular cat.

Either way, if your cat doesn't like getting it's nails clipped you might want to only clip a few nails at a time and go back later. Less of a chance of the cat getting really squirmy and upset and hating it even more then.