Cat Food: Regular vs. Natural & Organic Brands

Discussion in Pets started by meryliz • Aug 23, 2012.

1. meryliz

merylizMember

Threads:
    We have an indoor, short-hair cat that's 2 years old. We feed him Meow Mix dried food from the grocery store and he seems to like it just fine. He would prefer wet food, but we only offer it occasionally.

I'm wondering if there are cat owners that prefer natural or organic blends of cat food? The price is typically twice as our budget, but is it worth it? I.e. is it more filling, so our cat isn't constantly meowing for extra food? Or do you find a difference in their energy level? Our cat is a healthy weight and grooms himself often so his fur is really soft. However, he sheds his fur a lot and most times he actually seems sad... if that's possible.

#1Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  2. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have a cat, but I had to respond to this thread. I didn't realize that there was organic cat food! I suppose there's organic dog food too. I will be eagerly watching this thread to read the responses.

3. mountainside

mountainsideActive Member

Threads:
    ..I used to have a cat, but I only fed him regular cat food. I also did not realize that there were organic brands of cat food. I wonder if the organic cat food helps with the cat's nutritional needs, moreso than regular cat food?

4. DrowningGirl

DrowningGirlMember

Threads:
    I don't think feeding your cat organic vs. non-organic food is going to do anything for them in terms of satisfaction. It will eliminate unnecessary chemicals and be healthier for them the same way organic food is for humans, but otherwise, food is food. In other words, two tomatoes that are the same size, one organic and one not, will each fill me up the same. However, the organic one might taste better and be better for me for other reasons.

I do believe that higher quality food, whether organic or not, does make a big difference in how often a cat eats and whether they are more satisfied with their meals. I feed my cats Castor & Pollux Natural Ultramix. It has extra vitamins and minerals and the number one ingredient is chicken. There are no fillers like corn or wheat, which cat's don't need to eat because they are carnivores. I buy a 15 lb. bag for about $40 and it lasts roughly a month and a half for my two cats. One is a fat cat and one is a skinny cat, so I have both ends of the spectrum eating. An average single cat could last 3 months on the one bag and I would bet that is cheaper than meow mix. In the past, when I have given my cats lower quality foods they definitely burn through it. It also tends to upset their tummies more. Hardly any cat puke on this brand.

I don't recommend wet food for cats as more than just a treat. Wet food is really bad for cats teeth. Chewing dry food is part of what helps eliminate plaque build-up and keeps their teeth healthier. I will occasionally give my cats canned tuna as a treat, rather than actual cat food. It's much healthier and similar in price if you buy the cheap stuff.

Give the good, expensive stuff a try for a month and see if it lasts longer. We are on a really tight budget and I swear we are saving money doing this. When we first tried and I wasn't sure I figured it was worth the small dent in our pocket to give it a try and see. I'm so glad I did.

5. meryliz

merylizMember

Threads:
    Thanks a lot for your input, DrowningGirl! The Meow Mix we buy is only $7 and lasts a month (+ $3-5 for treats and wet food), but $40 for every 3 months is still affordable and I definitely like the idea of buying in bulk. My cat is still young, but it's never to early to get him on a healthier path.

May I ask what you use for cat litter? Our litter box is in an exposed area near the living room and we're currently using a natural wheat litter that's decent at hiding the smell and lasts for quite a long time, but it doesn't clump so it gets stuck on our cat's paws and he carries it with him outside of his litter area.

6. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    I have a cat and she's 11 years old. She's been raised on Cat Chow for the past 10 years with no problems. I too give her a little wet food occasionally however she regurgitates it many times, so she sticks to dry food. She's maintained her 8 pound adult weight the entire time. She's a happy kitty. What's wrong with your cat's mood? Is there environment changes? Recently Move? Does she have cat brother or sisters? These were the only times my cat's mood changed for a short time. Just give her some TLC. I don't use organic food.

7. FlanneryCam

FlanneryCamActive Member

Threads:
    I used a natural food for the first 11 months of my cat's life. Then my cat got sick with crystals, a disease that's caused by too much mineral content in the food. So we switched his food to a science diet brand. He's healthy now. But now he gets hairballs all the time and sheds a ton.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So even with a natural brand, your cat still got sick? The same ailment happened to my cat, but we just fed him Whiskas. He really can't pee that time so we took him to the vet. I never fed him cat food ever since, and now I just give him table food.