Cats And Fleas

Discussion in Pets started by Ke Gordon • Aug 21, 2015.

1. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think my cat has any new flea bites because I bathe and comb him use flea spray etc. However, he keeps scratching the old bites. Is there anything to put on him to stop the bites from itching? Does it work and safe? Is it cheap? I know people would use calamine or something but would not work on pets for obvious reasons.

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'd suggest a home remedy which works. I used it on my dogs and it worked fine. Use diluted Apple Cider Vinegar to wash your cat. It will help relieve the itchiness.

And there's something even better if you can get hold of aloe vera [the plant itself]. Cut a leaf open and apply it's sap directly on the spots where the cat scratches.

3. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    As there is very little that you can do for a cat to ease itchiness - as they have a tendency to lick off anything that you put on their fur or skin - other than to put a collar on that will stop them from reaching the areas they are scratching - in the hope that if those areas are given time to heal - it may relieve some of the itchiness.

The kindest thing you can do for an itchy cat - is to find the cause - particularly as continual scratching and itchiness may not necessarily mean that your cat still has fleas - but could be caused by anything from - eczema, dermatitis, environmental or food allergies, ear problems, ringworm - to being bathed too often - the latter of which strips the natural oils from a cat's fur and causes skin problems - all of which can result in excessive fur loss and a very uncomfortable experience for the cat.

I would also just add a word of warning if planning to put anything on your cat's fur or skin - particularly as - because cats ingest anything that is on their fur - it is always advisable to check with your vet first - to ensure that whatever you are planning to apply - is safe to use on your cat - especially as there are many things that although safe for humans are highly poisonous to animals - for example

Aloe Vera - which as the sap contain saponins that are toxic to both cats and dogs - should never ever be used on either.

4. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Fleas are harder to control than ticks simply because ticks don't move as fast as fleas that can jump. Besides, ticks stick to the skin when they bite and they grow big as they suck the blood while the flea is small and remains small even after sucking blood. When we suspect fleas inside the house - we have 3 dogs to care for - we fumigate the house with mild insecticide and leave the place for 2 hours to breathe. That drives away the fleas.

5. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use food grade diatomaceous earth to keep my cat's fleas at bay. I simply "dust" him with the fine powder every couple of weeks, and he's been free of fleas for a long time now. I also sprinkle diatomaceous earth around my apartment. It works very well to keep all kinds of invasions out. Ants make a big circle around it and quickly disappear when they come across it. I really like using this ancient fossil powder, as it is non-toxic and doesn't kill anything.

6. S.O. Price

S.O. PriceActive Member

Threads:
    I would be careful about this. Ask a vet first. Some things that work well for dogs should not be used for cats.