Ceiling Fans Or Regular Light Fixtures?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by hayrake • Feb 25, 2015.

1. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I love my ceiling fans and have them the dining area, the living area and both bedrooms. I also have one on the back porch, though it doesn't have a light fixture. The ones in the dining and living areas get used year round, the other two only occasionally get winter use.
    All in all, I could live without them, but I wouldn't want to.

2. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I find ceiling fans to be more cooling than normal standing fans. However they are a pain to clean, and can get dusty in a matter of weeks! Given the choice though I'd still choose ceiling fans :)

3. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have one tower fan, some ceiling fans and the aircon, so we're spoilt for choice :) All in all, we use the ceiling fans more, but I do have to say our tower fan is fantastic. We don't use it as often as it's out in the front room, and most of our time's spent in the home office. We never use the aircon, to save on the electricity.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've stayed in places with them and they are more practical, but it does take time for them to cool down. I have to admit I always get it wrong and put the fan on when I want the light especially at night, but they do save money. I can see why people have them, for space and economical reasons and I do think it's wise to install them.

5. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Ceiling fans are definitely more of a luxury to have around than plain light fixtures. However, ceiling fans are harder to maintain and more difficult to repair if damaged or broken. More over, since I don't live in a humid region of the world, a ceiling fan is more than enough to keep me cool during the hot days of the summers.

6. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Whew! When the real heat of summer comes where I'm at my fans need a little help; but, generally, we get by with less "help" than people we know who don't have the fans.
    You know, My husband and I have never yet had a ceiling fan to go out on us. If we did, though, he could fix it. He's great like that.

7. ABC123

ABC123Member

Threads:
    Yes, ceiling fans do cool better then standing fans as another person posted. I grew up with a box fan in an attic bedroom. Boy, was it hot in the summer. Somehow my body adjusted to the heat and I would play and do my things in that heat. Now that I live in a house with ceiling fans, I know the difference. The ceiling fans can spread cool air more distance in the room. However, I don't like how they blow papers and light objects about. Also I am not a fan of the lighting they give off. The lighting more directly downward compared to table lamps or even track lighting. I would prefer track lighting on all the rooms.

8. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I believe ceiling fans are much better than normal fans. They seem to be a wonderful thing to have. As the blades are bigger it is better to use them.

9. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    I love all my ceiling fans. We have them in each bedroom, kitchen, family room, and office. I love the fact that they are out of the way and didn't take up floor space. Cleaning them is really a pain because I have to get up on a ladder, but they save me from running air conditioning all the time.