Celebrities Making a Sales Pitch

Discussion in As Seen on TV started by Pocs • Jul 31, 2012.

1. Pocs

PocsActive Member

Threads:
    With all the new products introduced every year, businesses are always on the lookout for ways to get their product out there and in the hands of the consumer. Many pay celebrities to indorse their products. Do celebrities influence your decision on making a purchase?

2. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    Honestly no it doesn't make me want to buy it anymore then if somebody else was advertising it. Mainly because I know they are paid to say they like it just like somebody else doing the commercial is. The only difference is that the company had to pay a celebrity a lot more :)

3. ssamcd

ssamcdMember

Threads:
    No, it would not make me want to buy the product more. I would really have to like and need the product, no matter who was on the commercial. I am not easily swayed by a commercial. I am more swayed into buying a product when I hear of someone I know using it or if I read something on my regular forums that I belong to. I wonder do the companies find the cost of the celebrities are worth it. I guess they do, there seems to be a lot of commercials with celebrities in them.

4. jonateen

jonateenNew Member

Threads:
    Nope, I wanted a pair of Jordans and it doesn't matter who I see endorse it or brag about it. I never let sales messages influence me into doing something that I can't afford to do. I have seen many people in business that will try their hardest to sell you something and if you don't budge they get really angry or hang up in your face. I'm not really fond of sales pages, sales calls, and sales letters.

5. SpYkz

SpYkzMember

Threads:
    Most of the time choosing a product because some celebrity endorsed it is a really bad idea. They are endorsing it because they are paid to do so. Once in a while it can be a good idea if it's a professional footballer that uses certain footwear or a gamer that uses a certain mouse cause they are professional and use only the best. A good example is fatal1ty, he is a professional gamer that sells really good computer hardware.

6. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    Celebrities do not influence my decision on making a purchase because most of the items they endorse they never pay for it. I shop mostly online and most times I buy things that I need, not want.

7. kittykarina

kittykarinaActive Member

Threads:
    No, celebrities do not influence what I buy. They are just actors that are getting paid for promoting an item. It is similar to product endorsements that are found in television shows and movies. I will buy an item if I have a need for it or if I think it will benefit me.

8. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    No, not really, 'cos I know most of them endorsing the product don't actually use the product. They hold or wear the product only for the photo-shoot (from what I've seen myself). So, it doesn't influence my decision to buy in any way.

9. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I don't care if a celebrity endorses a product, I usually read the reviews online to make my decision. I'm not concerned with the gimmicks that these companies try to pull. There have been many cases where you catch a celebrity endorsing another brand in their every day life. I'm not sure if I would ever have my opinion swayed, just because a famous person said it's a good product. Most of the time the celebrity doesn't even like the product they're endorsing, and they just do it for the money.

10. sergiu23

sergiu23Active Member

Threads:
    Personally, I consider endorsement as a weak form of advertising, and I don't get influenced by it. I don't know anyone who gets.

11. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not influenced by commercials with celebrities. But if I see a candid photo of a celebrity walking around wearing something I like, I'll sometimes Google to find out who makes the t-shirt or whatever that the celebrity is wearing.

12. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The fact that the speaker has been paid to say what he/she is saying makes me stay away from the product. I don't belive what is said and wonder if they have even tried the product.

13. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not influenced by a celebrity endorsement of a product. But if I had a product, I would try to get a celebrity endorsement can increase sales.

14. sdjaxson

sdjaxsonActive Member

Threads:
    No. I am not influenced by celebrities at all when deciding on a new product. It actually seems very fake to me when they endorse something. Because you know they got paid to do it... so the question in my mind is this.... is it really a good product?

15. sdjaxson

sdjaxsonActive Member

Threads:
    I just had a moment to read up on the posts here and I would have to say I totally agree!

16. rollybooz

rollyboozActive Member

Threads:
    The use of celebrities in product advertising has been a long running gimmick meant to target fans or idols of the particular celebrity or the field in which the celebrity is involved in be it sports, acting or music for example. The main aim of these advertisers is to get the target audience to feel that only if they purchase and own that particular product the celebrity is endorsing, will they be as good as their idol since they own and use the same thing. This tugs on their heartstrings and it is due to such forms of advertising that many of us end up buying products we do not necessarily need.

For myself, I try as much as possible to steer clear from being influenced by celebrities and their scripted words. Only as such can I make a balanced and unbiased decision as to whether or not I really need the product and whether it is suitable for me. There is no point buying something just because someone else says it's good. What might work for him might not for me. Besides, I actually doubt these celebrities actually use the products they endorse!

17. tommymac

tommymacActive Member

Threads:
    How sad is it that The Fonz is now pushing reverse mortgages?

18. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Celebrities do not influence my decision, they are merely paid endorsers more often than not. I buy things because they appeal to me in some way, though I may try something advertised on TV based on the recommendation of someone I know.

19. tommymac

tommymacActive Member

Threads:
    I personally haven't cared about a celebrity endorsement since Dionne Warwick started pushing her Psychic Friends Network.

20. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Remember when Cher was peddling shampoo? That's not even her real hair in the commercial, she wears wigs for crying out loud, lol.