Change Lifestyle To Save Money

Discussion in Personal Finance started by Denis Hard • Aug 11, 2016.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Simple lifestyle changes could save you a lot of money each year. Here are some things you could try:

- If you ate out a lot, change that. Cook more meals at home and watch your savings grow.
    - For those who love traveling, try traveling local. Save money on flight, hotel bills, etc and you get to know your country better. Or if you just must travel abroad, do it less frequently.
    - Don't just save money. Invest the money you save.
    - Use your credit cards less. Shop with cash — it will keep you out of debt as you can't spend money you don't have.

Any other lifestyle changes that could help someone save money?

2. sunnyside

sunnysideActive Member

Threads:
    All of this is very good advice for saving money each year. Furthermore, it is doable. One just has to make a commitment to this sort of thing and stick with it.

I like the idea of visiting different areas in one's country for a vacation rather than travelling abroad. In our country we have what we call a 'staycation.' One can decide to spend time at one of the hotels on the island instead of going to another country on holiday. The only expense involved would be the payment to the hotel. There would be no travel fees or airport taxes. Plus, it is a less stressful way of spending a holiday too. We also have holiday resort houses in the countryside and I have spent many holidays at these houses before.

I agree that using cash instead of a credit card for spending is a good way to curb one's spending habits. I am not one who is in the habit of using a credit card.

Another lifestyle change that I could add to this list would have to do with shopping. Try not to buy on impulse. Buy only what you need at the time and don't get carried away with everything that a store has on offer.

3. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    I try to live with the motto "a penny saved is a penny earned." I save money in various ways, for instance...
    I avoid drinking carbonated water and go for lemonade instead of Coke.
    I avoid spending on junk food, instead I prepare snacks in home, pop corn for instance.
    I buy second hand furniture paint them and make them look like new, in doing so I save money.

4. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    Those are really great money saving tips you all have there. :) If I may just add, I also live by the saying "don't live beyond your means" which has worked for me all these years. I saw how living beyond one's means has gravely affected my dad not only economically but also when it comes to his peace of mind.

5. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Frugal living demands that one should always spend less than they earn in order to save or try to earn more and then maintaining the same lifestyle. I was veering towards the habit of drinking but stopped completely on financial and spiritual grounds. Developing the habit of frugality should be gradual to prevent relapses.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    One can adapt their lifestyle through choice, but many do so because of circumstances. I think we are all capable of change, but only do so when we have to. I know I have had to down size, but put it off until I had to.

Now I would say, buy what you need and only stock up if it is offer and is something you use daily. I used to think stocking up saves time, but not always as when I moved I ended up giving away stuff or throwing it out.

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Those are good pointers, @Denis Hard@Denis Hard. I always try to live within my means by adapting to different stages of my life, whatever the situation is. Like right now I have to watch the pennies even more because i've not got much going in to replace what's going out. So that for me means no more shopping for clothes whenever the fancy takes me, no more eating out almost every single week, no more beauty treatments or shopping for beauty products that I like the look of etc It's not easy, but it's gotta be done. We all go through it from time to time.

8. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Good ideas on how to save money to be able to live the lifestyle you want. One of the things I think most people do not realize is how much money they waste by not using the food they have. By making a menu plan when you go to the store to purchase food you purchase what you are going to need and use. People let food spoil because they have too much, forget it is there and then have to throw it out. Left overs can be used up before more food is cooked or purchased. Also homemade snacks are better and cheaper than those purchased in the store.

9. GreenPersimmon

GreenPersimmonMember

Threads:
    When it comes to groceries, I stopped eating so much bread and switched to rice and potatoes. Pound for pound, it's way cheaper. If you can buy from a Sam's Club or Costco. Plus they are much more filling and satisfying carbs in comparison to processed bread. I grow herbs to cut the price I would spend on dried spices. I've reduce the meats by using eggs instead beef, chicken and pork.

10. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    In fact I don't need to change my lifestyle for saving purpose. It's not that I am rich person but it is simply that I have kept my habits of spending to bare minimum which have no scope of reducing further. In fact my father told me early in my career that I should save at least 30% of my totally earning which will help me live peacefully even in rainy days.

11. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I subscribe to the title because I have experienced it myself. I used to smoke one pack a day and I only realized the cost when I quit some 10 years ago. And to think that cigarette is now very expensive here then I am like saving more money.

We are traveling often in nearby Asian countries. Before we learned tricks in saving money, we bought plane tickets at once. But now we plan our trip ahead by 6 months to wait for the discount offer of the airlines. In booking hotels we also book earlier so we get a discount. There's a lot to say about saving money in traveling but my phone is telling me to recharge.

12. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I think I'm already doing most of this. I have reduced the rate at which I eat out. These days I create time to prepare my meals. I am more comfortable when I have to pay for items using cash. And cutting down on the rate of travels and hotel stay is another additional way to save money

#12Oct 31, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  13. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I've always been frugal and I was never one to keep up with rich neighbors and friends. I don't have a cable subscription at home because I don't even have time nor the inclination to watch shows on free channels. Whenever we eat out, we skip on the drinks and bring our own ice cold bottled water. I opt for store brands when shopping for household supplies. I choose durable and classic style clothes and shoes over cheap but low quality counterparts. I've started a vegetable garden that now helps my family save on supermarket purchases.

14. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Well, in so doing, I don't eat a lot. My wife is a good cook. She always prepares foods in a low budget but yet full of nutrients, minerals and vitamins especially veggies. My only problem is saving money. I do save a little and I am afraid to invest for a business. I am planning that out for my wife again is a good planner, a good business manager. She had once a small business while I have not enough source of livelihood or salary from my employment.