Changing Fast Food Items At Restaurant To Make Them Healthier...

Discussion in Food & Drink started by JoanMcWench • Feb 22, 2015.

1. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    Does anyone have any suggestions for altering orders at fast food places to make them healthier options? A friend of mine suggested I should ask for a 'round egg' if I want a real one on my breakfast sandwiches as opposed to the fake square they normally give.

20130319-mcdonalds-egg-sandwich-round-egg-1.

Does anyone else have tips like this? Are there ways to add veggies to sandwiches that are not normally dressed with them without paying?

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Could that square one just have been mixed before cooked? Either way, adding veggies to things doesn't make them healthier. I would look at it more like the breakfast sandwich is making your veggies unhealthier. There is no way to make fast food good for you.

3. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    As Josie said, you're fighting a losing battle trying to make fast food healthier for you. The best solution is just to limit the amount of fast food you eat and only go out when you don't have another option at that time. Another good option that I like to do is just drink water when eating at a fast food place and not getting a soda or another drink there. But regardless, just not many things you can do to or change to make fast food healthier for you.

4. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I've never heard of the "round vs. square" bit. It's usually dependent on the specific place for how they're prepared. And as mentioned above, the square one is typically just a scrambled egg patty....either option can be made with "fake" eggs (although it's usually from powdered eggs).

5. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Oh, and as for the original question....my biggest tip:

SKIP THE CHEESE!

Whether you're ordering a breakfast sandwich or a burger.... order it without the cheese. You will often save 100-300 calories just on the cheese alone and several grams of fat, depending on the size of the sandwich and how much cheese is usually added.

For example, a quarterpounder with cheese from McDonald's has 520 calories and 26g of fat. A quarterpounder without cheese is 417 calories and 20g of fat.

Oh, and skip the soda, too. Order water. Always.

6. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjayMember

Threads:
    Now matter how healthy they try to make them sound or seem, remember this IS fast food. Which means they will always add certain ingredients to make what they give you taste better and make you addicted. Most of which will be unhealthy most of the time.

They've even gotten to the point they can make there vegetables taste a little "different" to get people like them more than they normally would.

7. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I agree that there are some occasions where eating at a fast food outlet might be unavoidable. The egg suggestion is great! Also ask for unsalted fries, not only will they cook a new batch just for you, it will be healthier. You could also ask for no sauce or less sauce on your burger. One of the most obvious and healthy options would be with regards to your drink, either skip it altogether or look to a low sugar option instead of sodas.