Changing hairdressers in the same salon

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Jennifer • May 18, 2012.

1. Jennifer

JenniferActive Member

Threads:
    The other day, while my hairdresser was on holiday, I went, out of desperation, to have my hair cut and blowdryed with her colleague. Now I find that I actually prefer her colleague's way of doing my hair. This has created quite a dilemma for me. Do I stay with my current hairdresser out of loyalty? Or do I tell her that I want her colleague to do my hair in future and risk hurting her feelings? What would you do?

2. Ainjell

AinjellMember

Threads:
    Hi Jennifer,

Well, I do hair and I can tell you that it's all business. Yes, you develop some sort of connection with your hair stylist but, ultimately, it's YOUR hair. If you prefer someone else's way of doing your hair then it is up to you to decide to go to them from now on. I'm sure your hairdresser may be slightly upset but I do not think that you should worry about it too much because I'm sure she has plenty of other clients. It may be a bit uncomfortable for you to be sitting there getting your hair done by her colleague instead of her but if you can deal with it then there really shouldn't be an issue. If you feel the need to explain to her why you prefer her colleague over her, you could do that. I don't think you should worry too much, though. I'm sure she will be fine with it because when you work in a salon, you are like family. You share just about everything and everyone has their own clients. Now, if you were her ONLY client or one of only 2 or 3 of her clients, she may be concerned but, ultimately, she cannot stop you if this is the decision you have made. Do what's best for you and your hair because you're the one who has to wear it, not her.

3. zeus02

zeus02Member

Threads:
    well i may sound rude but I would go with a good hair day rather than making myself worried that I may hurt my old stylist's feelings. besides the fact that it is hard to find a stylist that "understands" my hair.

4. Jennifer

JenniferActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks Zeus02 and Ainjell for the advise. I don't feel so bad now about switching stylists.

5. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    Don't feel bad at all! I did feel bad about this when I had to change stylists as a teen, but I told my old favorite that I still referred people and he really appreciated it. I sent him 5 new customers so he wasn't complaining when I asked his sister to do my hair.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree that your hair is more important than your stylist's feelings, so it's not really a big deal if you tell her that you want to change hairdressers, but if you happen to know her day off, then you can simply just drop by when she's not around so that you can be spared of the task of telling her that you prefer her colleague to do your hair.

7. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Me personally? I wouldn't go with the new one. I know business is business, but I would feel bad for switching. I'd likely "shop around" at that point and find a different salon altogether lol.

8. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think Ainjell summed it up really well. Yes, you will get a little embarrassed to do that, but it is your hair! You see your hair every single day in the mirror, and the hairdresser you only see every couple of months... so it's better to be happy with your hair!
    Plus, if the hairdresser is professional she will have no problems with your decision.