Changing our life

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Gelsemium • Mar 20, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that we have all noticed that most locations out of the big cities are cheaper, everything is cheaper. Have you ever seriously considered moving to a cheaper location, scouted for jobs and flats or houses there? I think most people sometimes are just too stuck to the big cities, like it's my case really.

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There's something about the social amenities cities provide that makes it hard for someone used to a lifestyle of partying, going to movies, etc to move to a quieter place where the only source of entertainment could be talking about politics in the local bar. Because of that, most people would rather live their lives to the fullest in cities . . . and save less.

3. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Maybe that is one reason, people do love the cities and the entertainment it provides, but on the other hand it's way more expensive and it's unhealthier too. In my case, I would have to change everything, house, job, school for the kids, I don't even have time to think about making that happen...

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Maybe the education kids could get out of the city would still be pretty much the same as they'd get in the city. The adjustments you'd have to make say like making new and probably better friends, getting a better paying job if the company you work for has outlets elsewhere would be worth gambling for. Except for the job, I'm sure if life outside the city you've got used to living in proves too hard, you can always go back .

But since you could live better on the money you save if it was me, I wouldn't go back to a city if I moved out.

5. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I think that in theory everything would be better, adjustment is really the keyword here, most people (me included) doesn't want to bother changing all their life for chasing the unknown, it's a little like if we have roots on our feet. Knowing the country life (my in-laws live in the country) I don't think I would want to move to the city if I was living there, everything is better!

6. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Depends where you live in a big city really. I don't live near the center and thus life tends to be cheaper. I have a lot of retail stores and supermarkets around me since my flat is near the exit of the town. It's a big town, sure, but with a bus or my car I can get really fast where I need to. And so I get to live and taste both sides, a cheaper life due to my location and the social life of the city since I'm still living in it. While I do miss country life I'm too used to the city and I don't consider moving.

7. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    I live outside of a major city, even though I work in one.
    It's actually pretty nice, the quality of life is much better , the only downside is the commute but you get used to that and just learn to use that time for a nap or reading a book. (If you take the train I mean, don't do this if you drive to work :D )

8. amynichole318

amynichole318Active Member

Threads:
    I would love to move out of a suburban neighborhood that has to many people, to much noise to a house out in the country, or better yet, up in the mountains. I would love to wake up in the morning and not hear the rush of traffic, but instead the birds signing, and the wind blowing through the trees. I would not even have to think twice, if I had the chance, I would grab it.

9. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I have moved many times. On average I get restless after about three years. I don't like to get tied to a job for too long. I need to move around and try a lot of different things. I have lived and worked in several big cities, but came to the realisation that I much prefer the quieter life in the country. I feel so much happier to have a little patch of ground where I can grow things if I want. Also I like knowing my neighbours and just do much better in a community where people help each other out. So, even if I earn less living a little remote, I find the quality of life so much better.

10. Gelsemium

Threads:
    That's really interesting the way you live your life Dora, why do you move so much and what motivates you to do it? You get bored of being in the same place? Do you have a family?

11. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    No. I have never considered moving to a city that has lower living expenses. Simply because those places usually have a bad economy also. Like Detroit. Which means you are going to make less money there also. So what are you really gaining?

12. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    I don't necessarily think it's a bad idea to move to a smaller place where the cost of living is cheaper. We live ten minutes from town and save about $200 a month in rent costs because of it.

13. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Ah, that is another question, houses outside the big cities are way bigger and better and cheaper, nothing to be compared. But if you are still working in the city we have a huge problem called traffic and expenses to do it as well as the time we lose doing it. We need to think quite a bit about the pros and cons.