Charging your smartphone

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Strykstar • Oct 10, 2014.

1. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    I always charge my phone when it hits 20%. I've heard about not letting the battery discharge completely because it would cause damage. Didn't read a lot about it but it has become a habit to charge my phone as soon as my system reminds me the battery is at 20%.

2. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think it makes too much difference. Before Androids and iPhones, I have already been making it a habit to charge the batteries before they completely run out, so when it is filled up to around 10 - 20%. In addition, I keep a spare battery that is fully charged. It didn't seem to make much of a difference for my Nokia, Samsung and Motorola. After a certain battery age, they all just drained out. It's pretty weird, but if I just leave them charging there were times when the battery might appear to be full when it's actually not full. I still try to not let the battery run out completely before charging, but I also have a power bank with me. My habit hasn't changed. Newer phones just come with better types of batteries I guess, because they tend to last.

3. wowtgp

wowtgpActive Member

Threads:
    I am too lazy to plug in the charger at appropriate time. I will admit it here. When the phone is about to die, I suddenly rush to find my charger to save my phone.

4. randomdude

randomdudeMember

Threads:
    I usually let my phone get to 5 or 6 % of battery life before I decide to charge it. I do not beleive wating to a certain percent will harm or damage your phone but the time it takes to charge completely depends of what type of phone you have. I have had the liberty to experience charge times with all popular phone models with both android and Iphone. All Iphone models seem to have a substancially fast charge time compared to android phone models. An iphone completes its charging process in half the time it takes an adroid phone to finish charging. Depending on what phone model you have you may concider having your phone settings match your phone usage.

5. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    If i charge my phone normally it means it completely died out on me. I'm a heavy phone user so sometimes when I'm at home i let it charge while I'm using it. Seriously, i think I've become too depended on technology. :(

6. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not really that dependent on my phone nor am I too concerned with it so I usually plug it in when it's around 5% or when it's dead actually. If I'm leaving my house or if I'm going to work I usually charge my phone regardless of how much battery is left just to make sure that it would last the whole day.

7. AngelicDevilTel

AngelicDevilTelActive Member

Threads:
    For a few months after getting my phone I would recondition my battery every month, have the battery drain and turn itself off and then charge it while its still off.
    But since people that tried to call me during the times when I did this started complaining about my phone being off I topped doing it. Now I will let it get down to about 15% (when it starts beeping at me) to charge it

8. meenz

meenzNew Member

Threads:
    I actually charge my phone extremely frequently (probably more than I should). I rarely let my phone die, or even get close to the 20% area. I charge it so frequently because I use it as a comfort object, and need to have it by my side.
    I also use my phone to listen to music (which is another comfort of mine), so I feel like I need it as charged as possible at all times. But this is just usually when I'm out and about.
    When I'm at home, I let my phone die constantly. I don't mean to, but it seems to lose it's charge even when I'm not using it. So by the end of the day, it's usually anywhere from %-20%.

9. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I charge my phone when it's around 15%. However, this is not necessarily the standard that I have set for myself. I could charge my phone when it is 50% drained or if it is fully drained and empty. It depends on the situation and the need.

Personally, I've heard mixed tips regarding ways on how to charge a phone. Some said to fully drain the battery first before charging. Some said to charge before the phone's battery becomes dead. Now I'm confused as well.

10. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ha ha, me too! In any case, I heard it was better to let the battery fully drain before charging it too - apparently it extends the life or something. I'd love to know what the best thing to do actually is!

11. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I charge my battery when it has reached the 25% level so that usually charge the battery overnight so that it is ready for use the next morning when I am ready to leave the house the charge will last the whole day.

12. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    If I am expecting to use my smartphone at the time it is running low, I would charge it regardless if it is 20 or 10 or 5, but if there seem to be no urgency to charge it, it is best to buzz all the energy out and let the battery rest for a while before charging it and to make it last longer.

13. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    Usually when it screams bloody murder and that I should charge it, maybe about 1%-5%. I never let my phone die out on me because sometimes when it does it resets the clocks and dates which is a bit annoying since I had to re-sync it all the time.

14. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    I usually just plug it in whenever. Generally right before I go to bed. Also when I get into the car for a long drive, I charge it with the car charger, just in case.

15. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    I don't know if charging at a low battery helps extend battery life, but I do know that leaving it charging after it's 100% is not good. It's actually better to charge your phone twenty minutes at a time over the ciourse of a day than to plug it in and keep it charging all night.

16. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There seems to be some mixed opinions with charging. Is it the same with Ipods because I had Ipod Touch for long time and I've never had any problems with the battery no matter when I charged it. I even used it while it was charging I think. My phone seems to be the same
    I try not to as well because I hate when it dies because then it seems like it takes forever to wake up. The worst thing is I have a battery charger but often times when I'm out I forget to take it with me or I forget to charge it.

The thing I hate about a lot of these electronic devices (even the charger is this way) is the battery dies even when you're not using the device. I don't understand why this is because even the phone wouldn't really be on because it will go to sleep after a while

17. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I usually charge my phone when the battery reaches 10%. I do not want it to be completely drained and I definitely do not want to wait until it is recharged again.

18. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    Charging it at 10-20% would be the best. Letting it drop to zero would lead to inefficient charging. Likewise you shouldn't over-charge your phone, and unplug it once it reaches 100%. Leaving your phone to charge overnight not only shortens the lifespan of the battery, it can also pose an electrical fire hazard.