Cheap and tasty or Expensive quality wine?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by TuRon Davis • Aug 31, 2014.

1. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm by no means a wine connoisseur, so I don't go for very cheap or very expensive. In fact, some of our friends have laughed at some of the stuff my husband and I drink LOL We're not big drinkers, and tend to go for sweet or at least semi-sweet wine, and apparently that's not very good wine. As long as we enjoy it, we don't really care. £20-30 on a bottle of wine is as far as we'll stretch it, and that's when we're splashing out! We tend to buy those in the £10-5 bracket, though :)

2. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really like or understand wine culture, if that is even a thing. Like many things, such as Gucci shoes and such, it seems to me like people like to use wine as a status symbol, and the more awful it tastes the more expensive it seems to be, and the more coveted it seems to be. I prefer tasty fruity wines, ones that could pass for soda. They are usually cheaper, but I buy for taste.

3. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    You got the right attitude! If YOU enjoy it, and it fits your budget then who cares what people think about it! It's a good wine, TO YOU and at the end of the day that's what matters, right?
    "apparently that's not very good wine" now when you say that, do you mean that someone has told you that the wine you bought and enjoyed was "not very good." Anyone who says that is a real snob!
    You should trick them one day. Buy an expensive bottle and enjoy it yourself. Then buy a cheaper one that they have said wasn't very good. Then invite them over for dinner and pour that cheaper wine into the expensive bottle.
    Then get a few laughs in as your friends enjoy the cheap wine they think is expensive! I bet good money they can't tell the difference.

4. DreekLass

Threads:
    Well that is where my confusion and a little disdain comes into it with wine tasting. Everybody has different tastes, and some people are just following the herd, and will tell you that they enjoy champagne simply because it is champagne, when really they hate the taste. I can say that champagne tastes like the devils urine. I like wines that are sparkling and taste good, even if thy are bit on the drier side.

5. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I like to drink the more inexpensive wine. I have a had time justifying spending over $20 on a bottle of wine. I'm not really a wine expert. I know what countries I like from and what types of wine I like so I'll just go to the liquor store and look for wines in my price range. I really pinot noir from the US. Recently I was at an Italian restaurant in Toronto and had a glass of red and loved it. My husband got the name of the wine and when we looked it up it turns out it is only $9 a bottle.

6. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Haha @BrandonScooterman....I like that idea, and I think it's one I'm going to try out on my snootier friends. People can be pretentious and snobby that way. Which brings to mind the fact that many, many people claim to enjoy champagne, and I just find it tastes VILE LOL Honestly, I've tasted a few different types, and I'm yet to find one I like! I do wonder if some of them 'enjoy' it because it's the done thing, to make themselves look a bit more sophisticated hehe?

If I don't like it, I just don't care how much it costs hehe So I always remain true to myself :)

7. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    haha I hope you have fun with it!
    I know those types too. I don't really like Champagne or any other sparkling wine for that matter (Champagne is really just sparkling wine from the Champagne region of France.)
    Sometimes I think the wine industry actually promotes people being "wine snobs" because it's good for business.
    To each there own I guess, I have family who works in the wine industry so I hope some people will still buy the expensive stuff, just not me!

8. DreekLass

Threads:
    LOL! I am very similar. Wine just isn't something that I put value into when it comes to spending a lot of money. I just don't see it as worth it, because well... it is wine. I have never spoken to anybody why buys expensive wine who actually tells me that they enjoy the taste of the more expensive stuff.

9. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wine is wine is wine.. most people wouldn't pass a taste test, so grab your fave type and go for the cheapest. I have the opposite experience as someone above with one of my favourite wines. It's cheap as heck, nobody knows the difference and I never get a headache from it. It does the job. There is a cheap wine for everyone, it's just a matter of shopping around.

10. DreekLass

Threads:
    It depends on who you are talking to as whether or not wine is wine, I have discovered. But I don't have many aristocratic friends who care what vintage or bouquet the wine has lol. I have met them sparingly though. I fucking despise the taste of cider though. Ugh. But wine, cheap wine, can taste absolutely gorgeous. There is one called Lambrusco, and it is just to die for.

11. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    People know what they're looking for, but there are taste tests and studies and yadda yadda that show that you'll get the same thing in all price ranges. Wine is literally wine and many wine snobs will choose a cheap brand (blind test) they earlier snubbed their noses at lol. Me personally.. after tasting everything under the sun (coming from a long line of snobs and not giving a snot myself), just wind it down to flavour and alcohol content now lol, and THAT you can always get cheaply. Just give me a yummy buzz and I'm happy.
    I hate cider too.. I'm a cheap wine and occasional girly drink lover. After far too many years of beer and hard liquor, of course lol.

12. DreekLass

Threads:
    I like your signature, by the way ;) LOL, so the whole time you can get the same experience in the cheaper ranges, as when you go for the expensive ranges of wine? I did not know that. Why an I not surprised? Some of these 'snobs,' are so into believing that they are better than others because of the wine that they drink, and their wine knowledge, and the entire time wine is wine? Lol. I don't like to get drunk. But there are certain wines that just taste too good for me to say no. Ewwwww, beer tastes like earwax to me. Yes, I eat ear wax regularly ;)

13. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Beer tastes like earwax?? lmao! That's definitely a first, I've never heard of that lol. I never really liked the taste of beer either.. it's just somehow what ended up my drink. More convenient to party with than glasses? I did eventually love it though.

There are differences between the "low end" and "high end" wines sometimes.. nothing worth paying more for in my opinion, but apparently massive MUSTS to the wine obsessed. Unless it's super aged I guess. It's just that they wouldn't know the difference in a taste test, so why bother, y'know?

I don't go for drunk these days at all, just that warm happy feeling lol (I was always a happy drunk, thank gawd).. and I like a good el cheapo, sweet wine for that. Oh.. and of course it must be vegan lol. They couldn't filter this stuff differently in 2016?? jeebus.. maybe a good use for earwax lol.

14. Tina122321

Tina122321Member

Threads:
    When I was upper and drank often I was fine with cheaper wines. Now that I'm older and don't drink very often I prefer to get my wines from Whole foods, Trader Joe's or Lucky's Market where I know the grapes to make the wine will be pesticide free. I also go for a semi dry now in order to keep from getting sugar headaches. So I spend a little more on wine now, right around $20 a bottle in order to keep from getting headaches. I don't really taste the difference from the cheaper $10 bottles though, so if headaches were not an issue for me I would buy the $10 versions.
    We do go to wineries every year and often get a couple bottles of wine then for my husband. They are usually about $15 a bottle. I believe he usually buys about 6. He just recently quit drinking though, which is saving us a lot of money.

15. DreekLass

Threads:
    I am going to need to know if you can see the correlation between earwax, and the taste of beer though lol. Unless your earwax tastes like something else, of course hehehe :) Honestly. I don't see how people can miss the link. Ewwwww. I am cringing thinking about the taste of beer. Now, beer with some blackcurrant or orange squash in it can be so tasty. But beer along, unless it has a certain type of taste, is disgusting.

I agree that beers are more convenient than having to carry glasses around. I just drink from the wine bottle and pass it to the person next to me lol. I am kidding.

Well maybe those who know their wine are more sensitive to the tastes than the rest of us. So they are able to tell the range better than others may be able to? No, I know what you are saying. Never tried vegan wine. what is it like?

16. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Maybe they're more sensitive to the tastes, yes, but what I'm saying is.. many will choose the cheap wine, quite sure they're choosing the expensive stuff lol. They'll taste things that aren't there or the cheap wine has characteristics like that of the expensive wines. Again.. it's just a bevvie and one you can only do so much with. The price range boggles my mind lol. My opinion is, they're buying the price tag.. not the wine itself.

Vegan wine is like non-vegan wine lol. All wine is vegan until it's filtered. Excuse the source, it's just the first thing that came up

I can't say that I've ever tasted earwax before lmao.. please don't make me research this.. just this once, I throw my hands up and will just trust what I'm being told haha.

17. DreekLass

Threads:
    Yes, that makes a lot of sense. Well, the whole making people pay fro the price tag, and people actually being stupid enough to do so, has been around forever. So I don't know why I am so surprised that it applies to wines too. It is usually common with fashion. Also, I had no idea that people in your part of the world say the word, 'bevvie.'

18. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Can't say I've heard many people say it, but then, I was raised by people from your part of the world lol

19. DreekLass

Threads:
    It is definitely an English phrase as far as I am aware. I read your post and was like, 'how does this woman know this word?' The people in my part of the UK do not say it often at all, although I can't say that it is not used. Very rarely though. The word is commonplace in areas like Liverpool though. I think that was the first place that I heard using it regularly.

20. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do think that a lot of it boils down to people being pretentious. I've had expensive wine that was quite nice, but I've also had some that I thought was terrible. I've done the same with cheaper versions.. some good, some bad. I like to try different wines. I like the variety.

My husband and I kind of got into it for a while. We refused to spend a fortune to try a new wine though. I can't justify that kind of expense, so we opt for something between mid-range and cheaper most times. I don't usually have much luck with super cheap wine either, but if I can't find something good that's moderately priced, I'll do without.

I usually wait for a good deal anyway. One of the shops here does 15% off wine every so often, so that's when I like to get some.

Pairing is also important. A glass of wine can taste entirely different when paired with one food over another, or even on its own.