Cheap and tasty or Expensive quality wine?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by TuRon Davis • Aug 31, 2014.

1. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You seem to have done better than me, as I have never in my life consumed expensive wine and enjoyed the taste of it. I don't often eat with wine, as I feel like it would interfere with the meal. I may feel different about the taste of expensive wines if I ate foods with wine more often.

2. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I guess it depends on the wine as well as the meal. In some cases, proper pairing truly does enhance the flavor of both the wine and the food. I've yet to have it interfere, but then again, I don't have wine with dinner all the time. I'm certainly no expert either.

You're better off disliking the costly options. Some wine can be ridiculously expensive, if you ask me. You can save your money by enjoying reasonably priced wine instead. Sounds like a win to me. ;)

If you can do a wine tasting sometime, I'd recommend it. One of the shops here has free tasting occasionally. It's not the whole formal thing, but they let you try certain wines here and there, like especially when a new one comes out that they want to promote. I love it, because I can try a sip and see if it's worth buying a bottle.

3. DreekLass

Threads:
    I know that a lot of aristocratic people like to taste wine with cheeses? I have never done that either. We don't really have any wine places around here, at least none that I am aware of. And if any stores do sell wine, they do not specialize in wine, and sell other products too. I think to do a wine tasting, I'd have to go out of my way to book a session. I really wish someone could tell me what they like about that severe 'expensive' taste that often comes from more costly wines.

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I believe that flavour is called a false sense of status lol. You can mush a grape down a million different ways.. it's still just a grape. And I've never enjoyed drinking with my meals. My family always did and I was odd man out. I never got it, personally.

5. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    The wines I typically purchase are probably considered 'mid-grade' to inexpensive. Usually the larger supermarkets offer wine on sale, especially around the holidays, making it easier to purchase a more expensive bottle of wine for a less expensive price. Cheap wine is not bad, though, especially when used to make sangria. An inexpensive bottle of wine, some frozen fruit, and Sprite make a great summer sangria! Mix all of the ingredients in a pretty pitcher or punch bowl with some ice for an elegant, fun party beverage.

6. DreekLass

Threads:
    Lol, you make it all sound so inane lmao!! And when you talk about drinking with your meals, do you mean drinking wine or alcohol, or just drinking in general? I was raised to believe that a meal was not complete without a drink - whatever it may be. I never drink alcohol with food though. unless we are talking about beer.

7. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, I don't have the budget to buy expensive wine so I generally get the cheaper stuff. To be honest, I like the wine from Walmart. It is only 2.97 or something like that per bottle, and I dont have a problem drinking it. I have had some mid grade wines that were good, but even 10 or 15 dollars per bottle would be too much for me with my current budget, or lack there of.

8. DreekLass

Threads:
    I am interested to know what color wine most of us are the most fond of. Red or white? I have always praised the color red, and love it over all other colors, so when I first learned about red wine I just knew for a fact that it was going to taste better than white wine.... And then I actually tasted red wine, and I could have sworn it was the devil's pee. It is awful. But red seems to be the more aristocratic.

9. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Because I sorta kinda DO find it inane lol. Just thinking about how they come to price these things.. fishy lol. As for meals, I just could never drink alcohol with meals, I didn't find it enjoyable. Maybe I needed to spend more lol.

10. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
  11. DreekLass

Threads:
    No, I know you find it inane. I was just letting you know that you were succeeding at verbally reducing it and conveying just that lmao :) Oh, well I am the same. I don't know how people can have a glass of wine with dinner. Eww. Wine doesn't quench my thirst, so drinking it whilst eating would be redundant. Beer with a little blackcurrant juice in it though? I'm set.