Cheap Beef

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Alexandoy • Feb 4, 2017.

1. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Beef is the most expensive meat here that’s why some enterprising traders are creative with their business style. Sometimes they bring to the market cheap beef that costs about 20% lower than the regular beef. It looks like a good beef and had passed the required sanitary procedures in the slaughterhouse. But the catch is that the cheap beef is tough, too tough to cook. I had tried it last week just for curiosity. The usual duration of our pressure cooker for tenderizing beef is 5 minutes. But this cheap beef took 12 minutes already and it was not tender yet. Oh well, that’s the catch of that cheap beef… that for sure I would not buy anymore.

2. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    Just have ducks or geese on your backyard and they will basically eat everything on their path. Ducks and Geese tasted exactly like beef and just like chicken they lay eggs. It is a great way to have an endless source of " beef" All recipes for beef can be used for duck or goose breast. I get rid of the gamey flavor of the ducks by blanching them to water and draining the water. Blanching before cooking gets rid of the impurities.

3. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    Some vendors are so clever that they pass off carabao meat as beef. Sure the meat is cheaper but if you can't tell one from the other, you might just take home the carabao meat. You'll soon find this out because it's tough to cook and the meat smells differently while being cooked. That's why I only buy beef from well-known meat shops or supermarket. I'm not fond of beef, though. Cheap beef makes me really think twice about buying because there's always a chance that they're sourced from places with substandard practices. I remember not eating beef for two years because of the mad cow disease.

4. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    We also buy beef, usually at the grocery since we buy branded meat since it's trusted. There are several brands and different prices of beef and other meat. There are cheaper ones and expensive ones so I wonder what are the difference? We bought beef shanks the other day (the one which is a bit cheaper) to see the difference from the premium ones. We cooked it for dinner and I see no difference. The only difference is just it's cheaper so I guess we'll get it again next time :)