Cheap Dish Recipe #09 –bamboo Shoots In Coconut Milk

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Alexandoy • Sep 2, 2017.

1. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is an ethnic dish of tropical countries. The ingredients are 1 kilo of bamboo shoots, 1/2 liter of coconut milk, 1 tablespoon of shrimp paste, 2 onions, ½ clove garlic, cooking oil.

Clean the bamboo shoots and slice to your desired size and form. Crush the garlic and slice the onions. In a frying pan, saute the garlic and onion, be sure to wait until the garlic turns brown before adding the onions. When the onions are wilted, add the shrimp paste before pouring the coconut oil. Stir and let it boil for 5 to 10 minutes until the white color is not very white anymore. Add the bamboo shoots and let it boil until tender. Add water if the sauce is drying. Best eaten with steamed rice.

2. TheOtherSide

TheOtherSideActive Member

Threads:
    I love bamboo shoots, it is one of my favorite vegetables if it's considered as one. I know there are plenty of ways to prepare a bamboo shoots as a dish, my favorite is the boiled one served by mixing with vinegar, black pepper, onions and some seasonings. I love coconut milk too and all dish cooked in coconut milk including the "Bicol express", a popular native Filipino spicy dish. I think I have already eaten this same recipe of yours, my mom is a great cook and she loves to prepare bamboo shoots dish and anything "Ilocanos" including "pinakbet"

3. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    You have no idea how expensive bamboo shoots are in the US. People in the US can only have it in canned form if they want it cheap. The alternate Americans can use that is available in the US would be either a swede root or carrot . That is the only way they can do this dish.

I think if you will share recipes with exotic Asian ingredients you should suggest replacements that is cheaply available in the US. Most Asian veggies are very expensive in the US,UK and Canada.

4. PAYAKNAPAGIISIP

PAYAKNAPAGIISIPActive Member

Threads:
    Aw... How could you do that!? That is one one my favorite dish. Now, my mouth is watering and I can't do anything about it because I am in the Middle East. I really miss having that dish. That is one of my comfort food because those are the foods that I grew up with.

5. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    Hmmm..I can visualise how delicious this will be. I have never tried any meal using bamboo shoots before but I love anything made from a combination of coconut and rice. Coupled with shrimps or prawns, that is just a match made in heaven.

In general, I love spicy Asian/Indian food. They are full of rich aromatic spices.

6. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    Yummm....just reading the recipe has made my mouth water ! I have tasted bamboo shoots pickle a friend had bought once and that is the extent of my adventure with the bamboo shoots, but I still remember its delicious taste. Coconut milk is another one of most favorite ingredients to cook with, I use it is a few dishes. But bamboo shoots are rare to get in the part of the country in which I live so making this dish is almost impossible for me, yet I am writing it down in my diary and have every intention of preparing should I ever find bamboo shoots.