Cheap Dish Recipe #14 – Pakbet For Tropical Vegetables

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Alexandoy • Sep 19, 2017.

1. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Pakbet is a dish native to tropical countries. The ingredients are 100 grams of pork, ½ clove of garlic, 2 onions, 2 red tomatoes, 1 tablespoon of shrimp paste, cooking oil, and tropical vegetables like squash, bitter gourd, okra, water spinach, radish and string beans.

Boil the pork for 10 minutes and remove from the pot to let it cool. Slice the pork in strips or your desired size. Wash and cut the vegetables. Crush the garlic and slice the onions and tomatoes. Fry the garlic until brown then add the onions and tomatoes plus the shrimp paste. Upon boiling, add the stock of the pork to the pan and let it boil. Add the vegetables and stir for 2 to 3 minutes or until the vegetables look okay to your desired cooking. Serve with steamed rice.

* A good substitute for shrimp paste is fish sauce.

2. TheOtherSide

TheOtherSideActive Member

Threads:
    This recipe is one of my many favorite Ilocano dishes but my mom prefers to use fried fish instead of the pork while most of the northern tribes especially the Ilocandia land has this special super crunchy deep fried crispy pork recipe named "bagnet" which is so common in their "pakbet" version. Thanks for sharing this.

3. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    Ah, yes pinakbet is one of the popular dishes here in our country. I eat it occasionally if my dad cooks it, although it's not really my favorite dish. I prefer chopsuey more.

4. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    I love this vegetables filled recipe. This is the Ilocano favorite veggies food. My wife is a good cook for this. It's not only tasty and yummy. It's very nutritious.

5. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    I would definitely try this do dish. Thanks for sharing the recipe! I love trying out new recipes especially recipes from across Asia. Thailand food is my favourite at the moment. I love spicy food.

6. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    I am a Filipino and we love eating this kind of food. If you do try it, you'll surely love eating it.

You wouldn't hesitate to share it with other family members and even friends and neighbors. Go for it.

7. TheOtherSide

TheOtherSideActive Member

Threads:
    Actually you can add a little spice to this recipe if you like spicy stuffs. Some people add green chili peppers to "pakbet" recipes, those green chilis are not that super spicy compared to the red ones and you can actually eat them without having to worry that they'd bite your tongue. You can add the green chili peppers sliced or as is.

8. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    Water Spinach is banned in many US states because they are invasive plants. What other vegetables that can be used in it's place? Can we use Bok choi or any other leafy vegetable?