Cheap Dish Recipe #17 – Squash And String Beans In Coconut Milk

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Alexandoy • Oct 12, 2017.

1. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is another coconut milk dish featuring squash or pumpkin and string beans. The ingredients are 100 grams of pork strips, ½ kilo of squash, ¼ kilo of string beans, 1 liter of coconut milk, 1 tablespoon shrimp paste, ½ clove of garlic, 2 onions, cooking oil.

Boil the pork strips 10 minutes and set aside. Peel and cut the squash into 1-inch size. Cut the string beans into 4-inch pieces. Crush the garlic and mince the onions.

In a pan with some cooking oil, fry the pork strips until it becomes crispy. Set aside. Using the same pan, sautee the garlic until brown before adding the onions. After 1 minute, add the shrimp paste and the stock of the pork strips and stir for 30 seconds before adding the coconut milk. Cover the pan. You can transfer it to a pot if you are not comfortable with the pan. Let it boil until the white color fades. Add the squash and after 3 minutes you can add the string beans. Let it simmer for 1 minute before turning off the stove. Add the crispy pork strips on top.

* shrimp paste can be substituted by fish sauce

2. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    Finally a recipe with ingredients available around the world without going to an Asian store. This one is very attainable and I think it can be used to recycle a Halloween Pumpkin. I will consider this recipe as money saver because the ingredients are globally attainable.

3. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    The ingredients are quite cheap and easy to find, I'm pretty sure most people who are looking to save money can try this dish out.