Cheap hotels with bed bugs

Discussion in Travel started by whnuien • Jun 13, 2014.

1. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    In some tropical countries, there are many cheap hotels and backpackers that have bed bugs. One thing I always try to avoid when going on a trip is staying at one of these places but sadly, I did have to deal with this problem at least three times in my life, it was a horrible experience.

Have you stayed in a cheap hotel or backpackers that have bed bugs?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm sure those are some experiences you won't forget in a hurry.

Fortunately for me, much as I've stayed in cheap hotels, I've never been in one where the beddings were infested with bed bugs. I've heard stories though. Chilling ones . . .

By the way, since technically you don't get much sleep, do you do demand a discount from the hotel management the next morning?

3. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    Oh yes, the experience was unforgettable indeed. The first one was I got bitten all over my legs up to my thighs. I was itching and scratching for one full month and I even got fever probably from being too stressed about it.

For all the experiences I had I complained and argued with the management and I did not pay for the stays at all.

4. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh yes, I know about bed bugs. I once made the mistake to take a blanket from my car into a hostel when I got really cold at night. It's something I regretted deeply afterwards.
    When I came home I didn't wash that blanket immediately but left it sitting around for a day in my bedroom. I couldn't quite figure out where all the bites on my body came from during the following week. Then I discovered these little brown bugs hiding in the lining of my mattress. Well, to cut a long story short, I had to wash and disinfect my entire bedding and all of my clothes. It was disgusting.

5. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, thank goodness. I have never had to deal with bed bugs. I have only stayed in two cheap hotels, but no bed bugs. I really make an effort to in reputable hotels only. That is still no guarantee that there aren't bed bugs.

6. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    First of all, saying bed bugs are in tropical countries is not completely true. I live in Brazil (tropical country) and nobody ever heard of bed bugs in here, they are extremely rare here. I only know they exist because I lived in the US for one year, and the US has A LOT of bed bug problems and it's NOT a tropical country.
    Second, it's not only in cheap hotels!! Trust me, the only difference from bed bugs in cheap and expensive hotels is that expensive hotels cover the horrible bed bug stories better and do damage control more efficiently than a cheap hotel would. It does not mean you don't run the risk of encountering a bed bug colony at your gorgeous hotel suite at the Hilton!

7. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    Ewww that wasn't very nice, poor you! At least I never brought any bed bugs back home after traveling but still I make sure I didn't every time.

8. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, and I really find it difficult to be on bed. Often I would just sleep on the floor. I would spread out on the floor the bed covers and if I could ask for more, I do so somehow I would be comfortable lying on the floor. But there are many times in which I was able to manage those bugs underneath the bed. They don't bother at all. But there are sure more times that I would rather sleep on the floor.

9. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    But would the bed bugs not able to smell you? I never tried this method, but nowadays I'm too scared with them because of the past experience.

10. Annabell

AnnabellActive Member

Threads:
    From what I know, bed bugs usually infest everything in a room, not just the bed. They can live on things like pyjamamas and such for a minimum of 48 hours last I checked as well.

11. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    Oh, it's not worth it! I have experienced this once in my life and I really just checked out right there and then. I can't take it. The bed looks so itchy because of the disheveled sheets and the smell is really horrible. I can't imagine lying down on those sheets. I also realized that it's not worth it to risk your health, just because you would like to save a few bucks on hotel. Before traveling, I really make sure I save up so that I can at least become comfortable during my trip.

12. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I've never had the pleasure of staying at such an hotel. If it's possible I always read reviews online and check for things like this - the hotel must be insect free. I'm all for saving money when traveling, but bed bugs? A big nope!

13. luigi

luigiMember

Threads:
    Try staying at an expensive hotel with bed bugs. :(

I never book cheap or run-down hotels for the risk of bed bugs. I try to get something at least $80 a night, but even then it needs to have fantastic reviews online. Unfortunately for me, when visiting MA, I booked a night at a hotel with great reviews that happened to have bed bugs in the room. The room was around $150, but luckily I got an immediate refund when we left not even 10 minutes after arriving. We managed to find another hotel close-by who sympathized with our situation and got us a good deal on a room.

14. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I personally have never had to deal with such but a few months ago I took a trip with my girlfriend to another city. We got to this place and it was really beautiful. There was a lovely hotel and it was really comfortable. We got into the bed and after a few minutes my girlfriend was scratching. We really didn't make much of it until the next morning when she found that she had been bitten. It really didn't have too much but after a while it began to swell. A few days later she was feeling some pain on the same spot and so she went to the hospital. The doctors gave her some medicine and they let him know that she had been bitten by bedbugs. It was a bit of a traumatic experience for us and so we're bit more careful whenever we sleep out