Cheap Laptops

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by danielle davidson • Jul 13, 2015.

1. danielle davidson

danielle davidsonActive Member

Threads:
    Do you find that the cheap laptops work just as well as the expensive ones? I'm not sure if they do or not because my mom always told me that they wouldn't since they don't cost that much. Right now I don't have a laptop, but will need one once school starts, I would love to get a Mac, but that's not in my budget right now. So, I'm not sure if it would be good to just buy a cheap one until I can save the money. I just want to know if the cheap laptops work okay. So, are the cheap laptops good?

2. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've had experience with both Mac and cheaper laptops and personally, I think the biggest difference is the battery life and lifespan. I had an older Mac laptop that gave me about 4-5 hours of heavy use before having to plug it in whereas my windows laptops usually only run about 3 hours average, and while both deteriorate eventually to the point of having to keep it plugged in most of the time, I found that the Mac took much longer to break down. I think cheaper laptops are still alright though and I'm sure they have improved by now.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Cheap laptops will work just as well as expensive ones but there has to be a trade-off. If it's cheap then obviously it's lower specs will negatively impact it's performance but depending on what you'll be using the laptop for you may not even notice the difference. But as DrRipley points out it's life span will be shorter.

4. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    It mostly depends on your needs. If you think you’ll use a laptop pretty heavily, it may be worth it to invest in something a bit pricier when possible. But if it’ll only see a few hours of use per day for mostly basic tasks, then a cheaper laptop could be an option. Though if I had to do that, I would try to use it pretty delicately. (Truth be told, I do that anyway, since I put my first two laptops through quite a bit of abuse, haha.)

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's not usually about battery life, but quality of software and how fast a computer runs that matters. Cheaper ones take longer generally, but also look at the cost of repairs. My mac needs a new charger and they are expensive, so look at the quality of the cables too.

6. danielle davidson

Threads:
    That's true I didn't think about that. I find that I don't always think about a lot of the things that I should. Like yes, I'm sure to replace the charger on your Mac that it will cost a lot of money. I mean replacing anything with them will cost you a lot of money in the end. I've been asking questions like this on other forums and everyone says that I shouldn't go with the cheap laptops. So, I'm not going to worry about not spending a lot of money anymore.

7. rightct

rightctActive Member

Threads:
    It solely depends on your requirements there. If you just occassionally surf the Internet and check your emails from time to time, then a high-end (or even middle-end) laptop won't suit you whatsoever. But if you're a graphic designer and play top-notch games (just like me) then obviously the aforementioned won't suit you in this case. Just buy according to your needs and you'll do just fine.

8. danielle davidson

Threads:
    Yeah that's true. The thing is that right now I want to get a Mac because it's the best one out there and will suit me just fine. And my parents want to get me some high end PC and spend less, when I don't need that. Now I know that Macs are supposed to be high end also and for people who are developing. Well, I just want one because I know that it will last a long time. I've had a hard time with PC's which is why I want to switch.

9. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We've covered this at least a dozen times on this forum. Budget laptops (less than $400) pale in comparison to higher end devices in virtually every way. There are some budget gems, but they're far and few between.

Compared to high-end laptops, budget laptops tend to a) feature a low-end processor that's not good for anything other than Web browsing and video streaming, b) feature lower battery life that can vary by as much as 5 or 6 hours, c) feature poor keyboards and trackpads with poor key travel and erratic finger gestures, d) tend to not last nearly as long due to poor build quality, and e) a lot of other disadvantages.

10. bonzer

bonzerActive Member

Threads:
    You may use a Chromebook. It's cheap and yet gives a powerful performance. Mac is a technological masterpiece, but may not fall within your budget, if you are actively looking to acquire a cheap laptop. I think Chromebook would adequately service all your computing needs as you mostly need it for your school work.

11. danielle davidson

Threads:
    I have looked at the Chromebooks, and I just hate the size. I know that it would be smart to get one because they are cheap, but I figured that I would use my iPad like it's a laptop. That's what I'm doing right now and it's okay. I mean it's kind of small so it stinks, but it's working out okay. I have a keyboard for the iPad so that helps. Then in September I'll be buying the new Macbook So, it should be just fine until then. Thank you though, because I did look into those Chromebooks.