Cheap or expensive shampoo, does it make a difference?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by prettycolors • Aug 7, 2014.

1. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    In my younger years I used to buy the most expensive shampoos I could find based on the belief that they are better and work wonders on my hair. These days I'm buying the cheaper brands and I notice no difference on my hair, the only difference is in my wallet. So, what's your opinion based on experience.

Are the more expensive shampoos better than the cheaper ones?

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, it depends. There are plenty of higher end shampoos and conditioners that absolutely make a difference. You'd be hard pressed to find better alternatives. However, many of the cheaper options are still very effective themselves. For instance, Aussie and Herbal Essences have been known to produce salon-quality results from their shampoos and conditioners. You can't beat the best high-end brands, but cheaper solutions will work well enough for the average person to not care about the high end brands.

3. maddie619

maddie619New Member

Threads:
    Personally, it makes a huge difference in my hair but to be fair I have very curly hair that blows up with the tiniest bit of humidity. Also, I've noticed that higher end shampoos hold onto their scent longer and that's very important for me because I love fresh, good-smelling hair. But I do agree with you about breaking the bank just for shampoo and conditioner. I tend to pay more for conditioner because it does a lot more for my hair than shampoo does. For example, I use herbal essences shampoo but the only conditioner I will use is biolage because it's the thickest and it smells the best in my opinion. Biolage is by far more expensive than herbal essences. Although I have found some good replacements for my expensive conditioner, nothing has been proficient enough for me to completely replace it.

4. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Depends on your hair type. My hair is pretty normal, not very dry, and not very voluminous. I have manageable waves, so for me regular drugstore shampoo and conditioner works just fine. But some people that have really dry, or problematic hair might benefit from buying a higher quality brand! Either way, there are good and bad quality brands both at the department stores and drugstores. One of my favorite brands from the drugstore is the Yes To, specially Yes to Cucumbers and Yes To Carrots!

5. kitchencatlover

kitchencatloverMember

Threads:
    I have always found the cheaper shampoos are more watered down so you use more each time. But that being said I can not pay 20 dollars for a bottle of shampoo. I use suave and think it's great and it's a 3 dollar bottle. I usually just go through a bottle a month.

6. CrystalMarie

CrystalMarieActive Member

Threads:
    I have found that shampoo does not need to be expensive to work. I can use the cheap kind on my hair and it does no damage. Compared to some of the expensive brands, it sometime does better. All it needs to do is keep my hair clean. I do however spend alot when it comes to my conditioner. This is because I need a good moisturizer for my dry hair. Tresemme is a good brand.

7. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I have always been told that it's better to splurge on shampoo and save when it comes to conditioner. I do have color treated hair so that may contribute to it but I have always stuck with this, when I am trying to save and I think my hair never looks dried or damaged. The reason I think shampoo is more important is because you don't want to have really harsh detergents stripping your hair of color or moisture.

8. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Not all expensive shampoos work well depending on the hair type. Most don't require a second application but is it worth the money? I buy mid range or on special because I get through a bottle a month at least as I have long hair.
    VO5 is fairly cheap and is good quality as it lathers and cleanses well. I do change shampoos according to the season, so I like to have different bottles of shampoos.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't think I've ever used expensive shampoos ever. Although I have gotten to use some fancier ones and I never really saw much difference since I already have a favorite brand that I use not for the price but for the quality so I mostly just stick to that regardless of what other option might be cheaper or more expensive. I don't think the price matters that much as you just need to find something you are comfortable with.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Pantene and the cheaper Head And Shoulders don't make any difference to me, so I guess they're pretty much the same. But when it comes to anti-dandruff shampoos, then Nizoral is better than Clear or Head And Shoulders.

11. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've bought Pantene and VO5 voluminous shampoos and found both are just as good as each other. I've fly away and baby fine straight hair (and miss home perms-Ogilvie just doesn't work for me!l) so, I like both. My budget forced me to buy economical shampoos and found it works just fine for me too.

12. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I used to think it didn't matter. All the shampoos I'd tried since I moved to the house I live in now always irritated my skin. My doctor told me I was allergic to the chemicals they were putting in the water and there was nothing I could do about it unless I wanted to buy bottle water. As it doesn't really affect my skin for long it's been more convenient to just shower using the normal water out of the shower. But since buying a more expensive brand recently when it was on offer I found that I don't notice anywhere near as much irritation as I used to. So I'll continue to buy that brand even though it's a lot more expensive.

13. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am picky when it comes to shampoo maybe because my scalp is delicate. There are shampoos that give me dandruff in spite of the conditioner I use. Now I am quite relaxed with Dove although I tend to test some other shampoos for a backup. But I'd say I never try cheap shampoo for it might aggravate my dandruff. I remember last month when there were samplers in the supermarket of Head and Shoulders shampoo, they feel good and smells good too.

14. maxen57

maxen57Active Member

Threads:
    I don't think it really matters if it's cheap or expensive shampoo as long as it's doing a good cleaning on your hair and is mild to the scalp. Our hair is actually very much like our skin and nails, just dead cells piling on top of each other that's why when one thinks they're growing long (the nails and hair), it's wrong to think that they're feeding on whatever "nutrients" your bottle of shampoo has. I rub fresh aloe vera gel on my scalp once a week and wash my hair with cheap mentholated shampoo. It's doing my hair a lot of good especially when the weather is so hot that I sweat from my head, down to my toes.

15. Nero-Bianco

Nero-BiancoMember

Threads:
    It really does matter! Cheap shampoos are full of harsh chemicals such as sulfates and alcohol that can really damage the hair follicle. Yes, hair is made of dead cells, but don't forget your scalp isn't! Using cheap shampoos and conditioners can irritate the skin and dry it out. Lots of high end products are also full of chemicals though, so the best bet is to go as natural as possible. If you can get to the point where you don't have to wash your hair very frequently, or at all as some people manage, then all the better.

16. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I used to buy cheap shampoos and had greasy hair and dandruff like nobodies business. Now I buy shampoo that is a little bit more expensive and I no long have greasy hair and dandruff. I mean I could wash my hair and a few hours it would look like I didn't, it was bleh. However, I heard that some of the higher end shampoos could also cause damage to your hair. I'd look at what is in them before making a purchase, but I found spending the extra few dollars really helped.

17. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266Active Member

Threads:
    I buy cheap shampoos for me and my family (5 people household) all the time.
    I rather pay more for food supplies than for shampoo. Of course, you can tell that your hair does not turn out as good and smooth or dandruff-free as one wants with the cheaper kinds but it is better than having no shampoo at all.

18. DiscountDreams

DiscountDreamsActive Member

Threads:
    I don't use shampoo or conditioner, just water and sometimes lemon juice followed by cucumber juice. I make them fresh. I condition generally with coconut oil. :) My hair stays quite clean, get compliments on it all the time, dude with very long hair :D

19. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    I've tried every type of shampoo and the cheap ones work roughly the same (at least for me). I always use conditioner, however. I sometimes spray on a leave-in conditioner. I used to wash my hair every single day. Now I wash it every 3rd day. I think daily washing is too drying and, for most people, unnecessary. I realize so much depends on your own take in hair condition, i.e., if it has been chemically treated, permed and how often you cut it. A haircut always brings life back to my limp hair, even a trim.

20. Shoplady

ShopladyMember

Threads:
    I buy cheap ones and they pretty much work the same for me, so I just buy based on what scent I like. Actually, I found that shampooing less often or using only conditioner much of the time works better for my dry hair. Even more money saved this way! I now only use shampoo about once a week, and conditioner maybe 2-3 times a week.