Cheap or expensive shampoo, does it make a difference?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by prettycolors • Aug 7, 2014.

1. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I've always bought shampoos that works well for my hair type/condition and price was never a factor on deciding which one work best. Shampoos like Pantene, Dove, and Clear works well with my hair and I never had to use a conditioner when I'm using one of them. I change the brand once in a while because they stop working after a time. Some shampoos, whether expensive or cheap, can cause flaky scalp so I would normally use sachets when trying a new one.

2. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I think yes, shampoos from good companies cost a little extra but they use reliable ingredients which save your hair from harmful side effects besides keep them clean and shining. You never know what cheaper products can do to your hair with use of harmful ingredient just to cut the cost. So as far I am concerned I will never take a chance for the sake of saving a few cents.

3. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I normally get the shampoo that suits my hair needs and the price is just in mid range, not too cheap and not too expensive. I've tried several shampoos before, expensive and cheap ones. I can say that the expensive ones have long lasting fragrance or they can make your hair softer for a long period of time, while cheaper ones tend to have a short term fragrance as well as a not so smooth experience.

I've been to trial and error when it comes to using the right shampoo the will suit my hair needs and I think I found the right one. So I guess it does not matter what the costs of your shampoo should be, one thing to consider is to know your hair needs first then decide the right shampoo for you whether you have a frizzy or dry hair, or damaged hair.

4. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    First thing is check out the constituents and see if it's one that's cool on your hair and skin. I don't want to think because one is more expensive automatically makes it better for my hair and scalp. The factor to consider is how good it feels on you while using and how effective.

5. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Don't get me wrong but I'm not a cheapskate. I used to buy cheap shampoo as a way of finding the right shampoo for my scalp. I always have dandruff until I discovered the white laundry bar. You may not believe that the white laundry bar soap has been my shampoo substitute for so many years now. Perla is the brand name. It costs 20 cents per bar. Cheap and effective on my delicate scalp.

6. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I suggest you to use hot coconut oil mixed with lemon juice at least three hours before taking a bath. That should solve your problem of dandruff. As far laundry bar helping you get rid of dandruff that is possible because the washing soda available in such bars acts as anti dandruff agent.

7. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    For my type of hair I have noticed that cheaper alternatives are as good as the costly ones so I always buy the cheapest I can find. I like yourself, used to buy expensive ones and then later found out I was just wasting my money. All I make sure it has is added conditioner.

8. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    Personally I don't use shampoos to wash my hair. All shampoos are detergent based which can harm your hair by prolonged use. I use herbal powder mix which is quite effective and they don't have any side effects too. Nowadays shampoo manufacturers often use harmful chemicals to increase it effectiveness which can adversely affect your hair in the long term. I think mild herbal shampoos are better for regular use, but they also contain detergents.

The basic purpose of shampoo is to clean your hair and scalp and the costly ones may have more chemicals to speed up the process. They also help to make your hair manageable and sometimes thinner too.

9. Binu

BinuActive Member

Threads:
    The quality of shampoo depends on the price tags.Normally,cheap shampoo are of poor quality, may even damage your hair, and expensive shampoo are most of the time good for your hair. Having said that some companies price shampoo very expensive in order to establish the notion that the shampoo is very good.

10. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thank you for this suggestion. I agree with coconut oil because I am applying baby oil on my scalp regularly to combat dandruff. But this is the first time I've heard of lemon juice to fight dandruff. And since we have lemon plants around the house, I guess I can easily use it. And probably if there is no lemon, I can use calamansi which is the smaller cousin of lemon.

11. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    To me, it makes absolutely no difference but I know of many people that have fragile scalps and if they use the cheaper brands, they start getting a lot of dandruff and I know one person that can only use Head and Shoulders or else his head starts itching and his scalp becomes extremely dry. I suggest trying both to anyone. If the cheap brand doesn't affect you, go for it. You'll save money on shampoos but the cost is worth it if you suffer from a fragile scalp.

12. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really get cheap shampoos as such at my end. I always have used branded ones like Pantene, L'oreal or Fructis. However, among those I prefer to buy what suits my hair. Since I don't shampoo daily a bottle of a shampoo may last me upto 2.5 months. It is still economical in my opinion.

I used to buy two in 1 kind of shampoo and conditioner mix before but now I no longer find that kind of shampoos so I am forced to buy them separately.

13. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    No, I don't think that it makes a different whether the shampoo is cheap or expensive. But brands do matter to me. Like we have here Clinic plus. It costs only Re.1 per sachet. It is cheap but it is a very good shampoo.

14. Working Buck

Working BuckActive Member

Threads:
    I am not too picky when it comes to shampoo since I don't care much about how my hair looks since I always stay indoors. And every time I go outdoors, it's either I'm wearing a bonnet or a ponytail since my hair is a bit long.