Cheap Or Expensive Tools?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Hedonologist • Mar 19, 2016.

1. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    You can get a saw for £3.00 in Wickes, and other places sell them for £20. So are tools an item that need to be expensive, or will a £3 saw last you years, just as an expensive one would?

I did buy the £3 one in the end, and it feels easily as good as any other quality tool I've used before, and don't see it breaking any time soon.

2. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that when it comes to tools, it is best to not necessarily go with the most expensive tool sets tat you can ind, because some of the prices are just ridiculous, especially when you can get more or less the same quality for a cheaper price. But I do think that getting quality tools is a good idea, rather than going for the cheaper tool sets.

3. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    As quality and value for money are always top priorities for me - regardless of what it is that I'm buying and as with all things - price it isn't necessarily a good indicator to go by when looking for quality and durability - I usually go for - after doing some research and comparing specifications - the most cost effective option.

Particularly as - cheaper isn't always the better option from a money saving point of view - simply because - more often than not - its way more cost effective to pay a slightly higher price for quality and durability - as although initially a little more expensive - it generally works out way more economical in the long term.

Apart from that - as many people have a tendency to get very attached to the various implements that they use - generally because they are either just the right weight or cut at just the right angle - probably not something worth skimping on and especially not if its something that is used regularly - particularly as - its not always that easy to find a replacement - that meets the exact same criteria.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The most expensive tools aren't necessarily the best.

I often prefer to buy used to tools because I've noticed that the newer tools aren't as durable as the older ones used to. If I can't find "old" used tools to buy then I'd find out from my neighbors which of the new tools in the market are great.

5. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never really had a need for tools because I spent a long time living in an apartment, so I never had any garden space to tend to. It's funny because in all that time, I never took a look at the price of garden tools. BUT £3 for a spade for a saw?! Wow, that's great price! If I were looking, I would definitely go for that over the more expensive ones. It's a shame I can't visit a Wickes because I now live in a different country, where there's no way I could get a saw for that much! I'm glad the cheaper saw worked out fine for you :)

6. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    My husband likes to buy brand name tools like Black and Decker, Dewalt etc. But that being said he doesn't buy the high end rather the beginner tools. I think he paid $25 each for a jigsaw, sander and drill. He has had them for over 15 years and they work great. The great thing about buying the bigger brand name is the warranty. If something goes wrong then he just calls the company and they'll often replace the item or refund his money.

7. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I do a lot of do it yourself projects around the house and I want quality tools and I have found that I can acquire those and save money. I personally find brand name tools when I venture out to garage and estate sales and at flea markets. My husband usually makes the mistake of buying the cheapest tool he can find and it's a waste when the handle grip cracks or slips off which is a safety concern to me.

8. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I was really surprised when I first shopped at Harbor Freight and saw how cheap their tools and other items were compared to the big chain hardware stores. I'm no handyman by any means, but when I moved out, I decided to pick up some basic tools to perform small tasks around my apartment, such as a good set of screwdrivers and wrenches, paint brushes, etc... Granted I don't heavy construction work or work in my car or anything like that - so these tools were perfect for me. They weren't cheap in build quality at all - they just weren't of any popular brand name.

9. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    The tools I buy would be for do-it-myself purposes, therefore, I am expecting to buy that item only once in a lifetime if I can help it. Therefore, I would have to get a durable piece of equipment to suit my requirements. It would be more expensive than the ordinary but I probably not have to buy another because of it's durability..

10. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My garden tools are not cheap but they are not expensive either. The tools are going to be used and I want them to last awhile, it is very disturbing to working on a project and have a tool break and need to be replaced. The saying get the right tool for the job is always the answer.

11. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I don't buy expensive tools, but I don't want a tool that is so cheap that is is going to break within a few uses. Then you just keep on buying cheap tools and throwing your money down the drain. I like to read online reviews or watch videos on youtube before making a tool purchase. I want to make sure I am getting my money's worth.

12. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Around here, we have some of each. The super cheap ones are mostly mine, for crafts and little DIY projects. The good tools are for working on the house or the car and stuff. Most of those are actually things I've bought for my husband over the years, and a few he's bought for me (sander, Dremel, etc.).

I often get some good deals on the little hand-held tools at Dollar Tree.

13. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To me, it depends on the purpose of the tools. If I need a tool to do a chore/task I'll only be doing once or a few times, I won't go all out purchasing the top of the line tool. In that case, I might try to borrow the tool rather than buying it, or I might check for used tools at a local pawn shop or in a Facebook group.

If I know I'll be needing to use the tool on a regular basis, I will probably purchase a mid-level tool, unless I have a good amount of money available and there's a good reason for paying more, such as for added features or a special design. I would consider paying more for a tool/implement designed ergonomically, or one designed specifically for left-handed people.

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think for a simple shovel or saw then I won't mind a cheaper version since it's not gonna be used often. But when it comes to electric items like an electric screwdriver, then I would go for the more established and expensive brand for durability purposes.

15. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When we bought this house in 2001, we were very excited. My husband bought a rake and a spade to clean up the surroundings. Fine. But next job is to clean the vacant lot beside our property. And then the rake broke followed by the spade. Obviously, those cheap tools are easy to break. Now we always buy the most expensive tools including the edger and cutter/trimmer for small branches and twigs.

16. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think cheap tools are alright as long as you know what type of job you'd need it for. If you're constantly going to use it then I'd maybe consider the more expensive tool instead but for that much of a price difference I don't think buying the cheap one was such a bad decision especially if you don't have to use it that often. I guess the more expensive tools are catering more to the professionals who need to use it everyday and therefore need the tools to last for very long and will be assured that they can last the test of time.