Cheap Ways to Add Color

Discussion in Home & Garden started by lizzief79 • Sep 9, 2014.

1. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    When I recently renovated and extended my house, I tried to keep the walls and floors in the main rooms fairly neutral so that I could change color schemes with accessories if I wanted. I added color with the curtains, cusions and other accessories around the rooms. I also have a lot of photographs on display and some colorful wall art. How have you injected color into your home on a budget?

2. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I use colorful paintings, stickers and stencils to decorate my walls. I always thought that walls were a little used space in all the houses I visited so I decided that it will be different in my own. Stickers and paintings I can buy online, cheap. The only problem is finding interesting ones, but with persistence you find some gems sooner or later. The stencils were the complicated part. I knew not how to make them but I wanted some badly. So I bought paint cans and watched plenty of videos on Youtube - with practice on drawing boards and after plenty of wasted paint cans I got pretty good at it. In the end, I earned a new skill and my walls look awesome (at least in my opinion :p).

3. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I commissioned my creative friends for pieces. They gave me a discount and were happy to create something for my home. I also got to have some input on what they created. They look great and have added meaningful memories. I got some photographs and a couple of paintings. Other ways I like to add color is through pillows, curtains, and paint.

4. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Pretty rugs work, but you really have to shop around to find them for good prices. Another good way to add some color is to find remnant pieces of fabric. You can get a small piece of high quality fabric for a low price sometimes, and these make beautiful pillows, table runners, or valances. You can even put a nice piece of fabric in a frame or wrap it around a canvas or old painting and use it as artwork.

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Don't underestimate the pop of color that houseplants can provide. Some houseplants like Chinese Evergreen are available with red or pink spotted leaves, and they're easy to care for. Plus houseplants aren't expensive and they help improve the air quality, not to mention that they're gorgeous and add instant personality and charm to a room.

6. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    Small furniture like small tables or large stand up vases can add color, along with the curtains and throw pillows. I like wall art too, but not too much. I like the point about the colored plants, I had not thought of that. I have seen some nice mirrors recently, that have colored frames. They are nice.

7. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would love to have more houseplants. I'm just terrible with them. My husband calls me a plant killer or the black thumb, lol. This is a good option for those who can keep plants alive though. They add a lot more warmth to any space and make a house feel more like a home. Some of the planters are very attractive as well, so that's another way to add a pop of color.

8. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    If you want to do a single wall in a color as a focal point but aren't allowed to paint, you can use a mix of baking soda and water to harmlessly glue thin fabric to it. Colorful wall clings can also make good decorations and they come in a very large variety these days.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Plants are a cheap and great way to add a burst of life and color into any room. If you don't want to have to take care of it, you could just go for an artificial plant and it would look just as good. I personally prefer live plants though, just because I like that I get to water it everyday and see it grow. Also, flowers are great for this too although they last a lot less longer than green plants so when it comes to those I actually prefer artificial.

10. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I add color by using colorful plants in the rooms. I also like to use pillows and throws as a way to bring color into a room. I do try to keep the walls a neutral color but the rugs and throws I can change up when I get tired of them.

11. BethD

BethDNew Member

Threads:
    Yes, I have. I find colorful pillows help, as well as colorful paintings. I also think plants, real or fake give the room a lift. I also keep the walls and floors neutral so it blends with everything. My daughter made a beautiful blue vase out of clay and I have that on my table as well as some of her other art work. I think anything you like can spice up a room and give it a flair that is all your own.

12. Gary Penn

Gary PennNew Member

Threads:
    You can do some nice wall art or painting to make the wall more attractive and match the furniture accordingly or the vice-versa.

13. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are certain houseplants that are hard to kill, like the Snake Plant, Aloe Vera, the ZZ plant and the Jade Plant.
    If you have a tendency to overwater, then only water when the top of the soil feels dry. You don't need to water every day.
    If you have a habit of forgetting to water, then the plants I listed are perfect for you because they are native to dry climates and can handle a little neglect.