Cheap Ways To Celebrate

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by DrRipley • Apr 20, 2015.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    During this season, every year, a lot of the special occasions around me are clumped up so it's when I tend to spend the most money in terms of celebrations and get-togethers. In the past few years I've helped offset my expenses by having my friends chip in on our parties so when it comes to the ones I have to put up some money for in my family side of things I'd have more to spare.

I'm still looking for some more suggestions on how I could celebrate further though since I'd love to have more money to spare at the end of the few months of consecutive occasions. As of now I'm holding most of the parties at home and just serving some simple snacks with some inexpensive alcoholic beverages and just having some free entertainment like karaoke and Kinect video games.

Do you guys have any similar experiences wherein the occasions just seem to pile up at certain seasons of the year? If so, what are some tips advice you've learned and could recommend on how to have lots of fun without the activities and food options getting stale and redundant?

2. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    One thing that it is important to remember at all times is that it really is the thought that counts, rather than the amount of money that you spend on something. Being able to give somebody a gift - no matter what that gift is - is an amazing thing, and this means that they will know that you care about them. Something that you have made yourself is very cheap but shows that you care. With regards to food, have you thought about catering at your home rather than going out somewhere? You should be able to get one or two things, and it really is the company that's the important thing rather than the money, so you could get away with only buying one or two things.

3. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Everyone meeting at a park with picnic food to share is nice. Anywhere that you can get tables and maybe set up a grill if there isn't one provided. Picnics by a lake in the summer are a great thing. Everyone can swim, play games and just talk and have a good time. Or you can all meet at some trailhead and take a hike together, assuming that everyone in the group is physically able to do that.

4. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Pot luck parties are a huge thing where I live. For ages I thought that was the only way to throw a party, in fact. They’re also extremely suited to themes, which I love. Like, everyone could bring a Mexican dish for one party, and then switch it up with all-vegetarian dishes for another. It might be a problem if there are people on a special or restrictive diet, but with some planning ahead, it’s still possible to pull off plenty of possibilities.

5. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    One of the biggest things I've learned to do when hosting large or frequent parties is to try to hold them at different times of day. Don't host a party right at lunch time or at dinner time when people will expect a full meal. Try to have your parties between lunch and dinner or after dinner, so you can provide either cake and coffee or just some finger foods. It makes a big difference, especially if you're expecting a lot of people. It can still be very elegant and nice, but it's more manageable at the same time.

6. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    Pot-luck parties are great, and vegetarian food is also pretty cool because, when you don't have to splurge on meat, you can drastically reduce a food bill. I mean -- if you serve a vegetarian meal, then it costs you very little (usually), and then you can ask your friends to contribute in other sectors (bringing the wine, or bringing a board game, etc)

7. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    Holidays should really be about spending time with family and friends. It's not the gourmet food, not the fancy decorations, not going out to do costly activities, it's being together. If you don't have the money to continue doing things the way they have been done in the past, just change it up, take everyone to a park and hang out. You don't have to go all out because all those important relationship building conversations can happen just as easily over burgers and potato chips as they can over steak.

8. BethD

BethDNew Member

Threads:
    Yes, it can get costly when the occasions pile up. I think if everyone brings something, and you just make one or two things and use your home, it is much less costly. Pasta feeds a lot of people and is inexpensive. Making a punch can also serve many people and you can put alcohol in it if you wish. We have a dollar store near us and it's very inexpensive to decorate if you shop there. Buying in bulk is good if you know you're going to get hit with a few parties in a row. I like making a big crockpot of food because it can feed a lot of people at once. If you know a few parties are coming up and you have freezer space, buy food on sale and freeze and take out when you need it.

9. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is very true, and it's a great way to keep things in perspective. I don't want to feel like I have to "compete" in order to host a holiday dinner or a get-together for a special occasion. There really should be more focus on enjoying our time with the people we love. Of course, it seems like those occasions always revolve around food. Still, it definitely doesn't have to be gourmet. Good post.

10. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The Holiday season is like that. Not only do we have to celebrate Christmas, New Year and Chinese New Year just days apart from each other, it's also my birthday two days before Christmas eve. Cooking pasta dishes like spaghetti (Bolognese or Carbonara) and chicken macaroni does help because they are easy to prepare and don't take up much time to cook. Some of my favorite go-to quick-fix desserts are fruit salad and mango float. In less than 30 minutes, they're ready and good to go.

11. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    I just fill my car up with gas and find myself at the nearest river! In my country, you can basically get to a nice clean river with ease! I like to also go to the movies-the only thing is-not many good movies are out and so I find that I direct my mind away from the movies for now. In totality, I like travelling. So I will travel to places when I am in the holiday season!

12. nicole deffes

nicole deffesNew Member

Threads:
    I personally believe that there are many cheap ways to celebrate holidays. I am a big fan of making your own gifts. It is a cheap yet personal way of giving someone a gift. How many times do you receive gift cards for holidays? Although gift cards are great they are extremely non personal. No thought goes into a gift card whatsoever. Dollar Tree is a great place to get supplies to make gifts. Also, go online and search different ideas. The options are endless. Also baking things is always a good idea. Everyone loves food. Use your imagination this year and get creative!

13. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I guess it is potluck that is cheapest for holiday celebration. Last month it was my niece's birthday which she planned to hold in a mountain resort. For accommodation of the guests, it was clear in the invitation that tents would be used since it is not a hotel. Guests brought their food contributions. Overall, the overnight party was a great success... and cheap too.

14. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    Potluck is the cheapest way to make sure that you do not run out of food. I also shop at the Dollar Tree for decorations. You can print out your own invitations at home or go the e-vite route to save on postage. Facebook events pages are also a way to save.