Cheaper and safer to rent a room when traveling abroad?

Discussion in Travel started by Denis Hard • May 13, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you plan to stay in a place longer than a month it's much cheaper and safer than couch surfing to rent a room which you'll stay in for as long as you stay. Placing an ad in a local paper could get you a place to sleep in which is fully furnished but a lot cheaper than what you'd spend in a hotel.

Would you consider renting a room in some foreign land if it could save you money?

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I would definitely consider it!

I think it's a lot more common abroad than it is in the US, too. In the US, places for rent usually require contracts that are much longer than a month (usually a year). They want more permanent residents than temporary ones because temporary rentals can be a pain and cause more damage/loss of profit than its worth.

You can also rent hotels by the week/month at reduced rates at a lot of places, so if an actual apartment/townhouse isn't available, at least check for hotels with reduced prices.

3. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Couch surfing is not a viable option if you're planning to stay someplace for periods like a month. I mean, I'd be ok to help a visitor with a room for a few days, but more than that is unlikely. Hotels can prove expensive too, even with discounts for a longer stay, so I guess the best option would be to find a room. Around here you can get one cheap if you don't mind sharing the apartment with another person. Usually older people do this kind of renting and the rates are pretty good.

4. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    Renting a room is a very viable and a cost-effective option during a long vacation. If you have friends who live near your target destination, they may be able to recommend a good rental place such as an apartment or a condo unit for you. In Asia, there are lots of studio apartments that are being rented out by the owners. You just have to inquire from the building manager about units that are available for short-term rentals.

Even in popular beach resorts, there are private houses available for rent especially during the off-peak season. You can also consider the rental properties under time-share program. Browse local classifieds and you're sure to find one.

5. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    Odds are good that you know someone near to where you will be staying when you are on an extended vacation at a single location. You can often make use of your acquaintances to seek out accommodation that is cheaper and suitable to your needs. Compared to staying in a hotel, it can save a huge amount of money to do it this way. Couch surfing can work well but it has its risks. There are many services that will find places for you for a small fee as well.

What you should not do, however, is simply rent from Craigslist or similar sites without some verification of the accommodation. I have heard too many horror stories about places being filthy, or unavailable when the renter arrives. Some places are listed but aren't even real. Unless you know the place is legitimate, it is best to hold onto your money until you arrive.