Cheaper to DIY for beauty products?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by kdlt • May 19, 2013.

1. kdlt

kdltNew Member

Threads:
    Exfoliators, body wash, candles, soap... All of these things you can make at home with a few ingredients. Need an exfoliator? Use a lemon half with some sugar on it. These type of Diy projects are really popular on Facebook and Pintrest and people generally say it saves them money- but does it really? What do you guys think? Is buying bulk lemon and sugar cheaper than a bulk bottle of exfoliating scrub? I feel like DIY has less chemicals involved but I'm not sure if it's really the cheapest alternative.

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Depends on how you go about it. If you buy in bulk, it's cheaper in the long run (I wouldn't buy perishables in bulk though, when it comes to beauty products with foods in them, they can have a pretty short shelf life depending on what you're using). It also depends on the ingredients. Not all chemicals are harmful, just as all naturals aren't safe.. so don't believe everything you read, research every last ingredient from sources that don't stand to gain anything. I make almost everything and it saves a TON. as for sugars, they're aren't the best exfoliators.. the finer the better for your skin, sugars can be damaging.

3. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I find that my DIY things are cheaper and also more effective. Usually the products with the most natural ingredients are also the most expensive (inexplicably) and the cheaper ones are full of dangerous and incomprehensible chemicals. Going DIY makes it natural and cheap. Also it cuts down on shopping time if you buy your skin and hair products at the same time you buy your groceries.

4. daniel.d

daniel.dBanned

Threads:
    DIY is best for bulk shopping... It all depends on your consumption.. But if you would really want something that is built with durability and quality .. I think Shoppingspout.com is the place you would like to invest in... It is really COST EFFECTIVE!!!

5. winnifred

winnifredMember

Threads:
    I make my own shea body butter. it is much cheaper to make. Although I would not use lemon on skin since it stings and can bleach skin. I would make a brown sugar and olive oil mix for an effective and safe body scrub. I hope this helps!

6. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I feel like anything can be a DIY product if you really put in time and effort to make it correctly.
    All store brand name products are always overpriced which makes us think about making our own instead. I normally just buy a lot of simple products like baking soda and honey and all other things we normally use and I find DIY projects that include these everyday household items. I already made a natural face scrub as well as a face mask and teeth whitener.