Cheaper to eat healthy

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by Jessi • Jun 12, 2012.

1. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    We have supermarkets in my neighborhood that sell everything you want. The one at the mall sells organic food, and organic drinks and stuff. So does the Pathmark in Manhattan which is about a 10 minute ride from my house. Then we have supermarkets that sell the usual stuff. Not very healthy? But it's the usual food you can cook at home. Like chicken, beef, pork, etc. As for fast food places, we have a lot of those too but they are expensive. I think non healthy food tastes better though. The only healthy food I like are peanut butter crackers. And granola n' raisin bars.

2. Shamarv8

Shamarv8Member

Threads:
    Well from my own personal experience I'm going to have to disagree. First off, in terms of produce and meats, I think the price varies obviously depending on the store you purchased the food from, but also, in which region, and sometimes, even state or city you live in. For instance, I live in Michigan and purchasing fruit stands to be more expensive than junk food at times. But, on the same token, that's not to say I wouldn't get an extremely better deal if I, say, drove roughly an hour to the nearest farmers market. So again, I believe that it simply depends on where you live.

3. clauemi

clauemiActive Member

Threads:
    I always thought it was the other way around. At least that what it seems like when I go grocery shopping, or maybe it's just that everything is expensive nowadays. Veggies and fruits are always expensive, either that or the cheap ones are the ones going bad or about too. If I find a good deal I just stock up on that and that's a big help in saving money.

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never understood the people that swore it was cheaper to eat garbage. I understand it's easier to grab a burger or throw something super processed in the microwave, but eating real foods is actually cheaper and it will keep you full longer. In many cases, it will feed you more than once as well.

5. zoeysmama2011

zoeysmama2011Active Member

Threads:
    That's absolutely true. There are TONS of videos on Youtube that show you how eating healthy meals doesn't have to be expensive or time consuming. Where I'm from, there is a place called the Farmer's Market that have fresh, locally grown fruits and vegetables for cheaper and in bulk. Also, when you buy healthier foods, it forces you to get more creative with your meal planning.