Cheaper To Exercise At Home?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by ExpertAdvice • Jun 22, 2015.

1. Penny

PennyActive Member

Threads:
    I use the cheapest form of exercise there is, biking or walking to work every day (3 miles one way). Walking is what our bodies are designed to do and they work best when they do it all the time.

On top of getting fit for free I save car payments, insurance and parking.

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh, that's so wrong lol. I have a pretty rad bod, if I do say so myself.. and I think gyms are a joke. I know plenty of people who get all of their exercise out on their own and look amazing. Of course, the thing we have in common is a healthy diet. Food does far more than any gym. Unless you want to be beyond jacked, which is beyond fitness.. I don't even consider that healthy.

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think keeping fit can be totally possible with just doing exercises at home but ere might be specific types of exercises and goals that could only be done with the proper gym equipment. For the more casual people I think it's okay to just do workouts at home but for those that want to bulk up or tone more extremely en there is no other way than to lift weights at the gym. I think both methods serve different goals but either one would be effective and not being able to go to the gym shouldn't hamper one's goals of keeping fit.

4. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    It is cheaper to exercise at home, as long as you can find a suitable substitute for the exercise that you personally do when you're in the gym. For example, if you're one of those people who just run (or worse, walk) on the treadmill, then chances are you could do that outside your front door for nothing at all. However if you swim, or like to make the most of the weights, then you may not be able to do this in your own home to the same effective levels.

5. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    Much cheaper to do basic stuff at home. When you get in to more complicated items here you have to buy a lot of special equipment then it becomes cheaper just to go to a gym, especially for things like swimming.
    Also I remember reading an Arnold quote where he didn't like home workouts, he felt he did his best when he was at a gym. I could see some truth to that, having people around to help motivate you.
    Plus I also remember reading a study where men could lift more when in the presence of an attractive female.

6. danielle davidson

danielle davidsonActive Member

Threads:
    I mean it's all depending on what you want to do at the gym. For me, all I would do is workout on the treadmill so there isn't much of a reason to get a gym membership. I'm not the kind of the person who would want to lift weights or anything like that. Since I wouldn't be doing that, then I would rather just save the money and then run outside. I also don't like working out on the treadmill, so there isn't a point in getting a membership for me.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If your goal is to just move your body in order to sweat and lose a bit of weight then just exercising at home would be fine. But if you want to buff up and build muscles, then going to the gym is more practical. You would also need a trainer when you're just beginner, so the gym should be your 1st choice.

8. turtledove

turtledoveMember

Threads:
    I think how effective working out at home is depends on how determined the individual is. If the person is really into getting fit and working out, then it's not very difficult for them to efficiently work out at home too. You don't actually have to have all the fancy equipment to work out - all you really need is a mat so you don't slip, and you can easily do many exercises without any equipment at all. However, if an individual isn't very motivated or determined, they may have to go to the gym to get a more efficient workout, as generally all the equipment means that it's a little easier to work out. Gyms also provide a great mind set before you even start, which helps individuals who aren't as motivated. I personally think that workouts at home are more cost-effective.

9. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on a lot of things. First of all, its easier to have a large collection of weights and smaller similar gym equipment. However, its not always easy to have larger cardio machines. A lot of people exercise by running outside, but at least in my area it gets too cold in the winter and too humid in the summer.
    I personally like attending a gym because of the classes it offers. I am much more motivated when I am exercising in a class with others.

10. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I bought an “Air Climber” to workout at home, and let me tell you in one month I did it twice. To me, even if working out at home is way cheaper than paying for a gym, I never manage to actually workout at home! I need to get out and actually go somewhere to be able to do it.

Also, if I’m home, in the first glimpse of tiredness I stop, while if I’m at a gym away I will refuse to because I’m already there, so I have to get my time and money’s worth.

11. Alonzo123

Alonzo123Active Member

Threads:
    Yeah i do agreed with through putting a bit effort and working from home could make you better and fit. I also used to do some walk and prefer to work out at home instead of joining some gym.

12. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I will always be an advocate of working out at home. Of course, most people know they would save money doing it that way. But they don't have the will power or the get-up-and-go, if they stay at home. Many feel like if they pay for a membership at a gym, then that is incentive to go and do the work.

13. cardinals27

cardinals27New Member

Threads:
    You can definately get a good workout for home for a little bit of nothing. Running and jogging cost you nothing and a great ways to burn calories. I like running around my neighborhood more than running on a treadmill because it is not as repetitive. Also change your route up to make it more interesting.

14. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think more people would just go jogging or running or even walking out in nature if they were not so self-conscious. Many people don't want to be seen - especially women - whilst working out and not looking perfect. Then there is the chance that you could trip and make an idiot of yourself in front of passing cars lol. Many of my friends won't workout in nature because of those reasons.

15. Aree Wongwanlee

Aree WongwanleeActive Member

Threads:
    I don't see how going to a gym would make a workout any better. I don't need expensive or sophisticated equipment to have a workout. If I want to exercise my legs, I can go jogging. If I want to do it indoors, I can just walk up and down the stairs. You can get as much of a workout going up and down the stairs as you would from a treadmill machine, without the cost.

16. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I think I'll prefer exercising at home if I got the space and the basic exercise equipment needed. One reason I like doing it at home it's more economical on the long run. Again, the problem of distance to fitness centre is ruled out. I just have to be disciplined taking the regular exercises at home.

17. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I feel better working out at a park specially designed for the purpose in my town. They have provided all indoor and outdoor exercising facilities at no cost. I go there for it provides a natural environment for running and jogging. It is a little far off my place (8km) but I am a regular visitor to this place early in the morning.

18. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    My form of exercise is my job. I used to be and will return to be a landscaper. There's every sort of exercise you need with that kind of job. You run, walk, carry, do leg strength, arm strength and sweat. The best part is you get paid for it and get a workout.

Exercising from home can save you the money but do you have the discipline to continue your exercises while a television or computer is present? Sometimes, the ambiance of the gym can motivate you.

19. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    If you have your own workout equipment at home, overtime this becomes more cheaper than going out and paying for the monthly membership. I've purchased a TRX Force workout kit online, it's kind of expensive but cheaper than those high-powered equipment for the same work out effect.

20. James-M

James-MMember

Threads:
    You can pretty much work on all of your muscle groups with dumbbells along with cardio.
    Here are some great dumbbell moves for your total body:
    legs: squat, sumo squat, lunges, lunge walks, deadlifts (stiff, romanian and regular), leg step up, bulgarian split squat, bowler lunges, etc.
    Upper body: chest press, shoulder press, chest fly, incline chest press, bicep curl, hammer curl, tricep kickback, tricep extension, rows, delt raise, delt flies, frontal/side raises,etc.