cheaper way to travel

Discussion in Travel started by Libragirl67 • Apr 4, 2013.

1. Libragirl67

Libragirl67Active Member

Threads:
    What do you think would be more cost effective for a family of 4. To travel by car or just by plane tickets? We want to go to Cedar Point this year. Which is located in Ohio. We live in Northern Michigan. Way up by the mackinaw Bridge. This would be for a family of four adults. And we have an average mid-sized vechile.

2. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are many variables, the cost of fuel can go up or down (most likely up) in that time frame and it also depends on the prices to travel by plane. It would probably be cheaper to travel by plane if you can find an offer or a budget airline.

3. bargainhunter

bargainhunterMember

Threads:
    Depends on how you are going to travel once you are at Cedar Pint, would you have to hire a car there if you went by plane? If so, taking into account airport/theme park transfers, insurance and convenience, I would take the car. It also means you can take that little more gear rather than stuffing hand baggage to breaking point.

4. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I'd recommend the car as the most cost effective, because you don't have to hire transport at the other end. Unless you can get a killer deal on plane tickets, it's going to work out cheaper in the long run. Also, there'll be more space to take extras like snacks, which will save you money at your destination. I'd always choose the car option for more than one person, as long as you weren't driving hundreds of miles.

5. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    I think going there using a car would be less expensive. Flights these days are really pricey! It's just going to be really tiring because of the long hours of driving but you'll definitely save a lot.

6. Libragirl67

Libragirl67Active Member

Threads:
    Thank-you everyone for your replies. It seems like the car is the way to go on this. I did not even think about the luggage issue. But this is a very good point. Especially with four adults. And two of us are females that do not travel lightly. And with two teenage boys I am sure we will be bringing lots of snacks and drinks. We will make the road trip an adventure. And I am sure we will have fun getting to the destination.

7. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I love using this tool when I'm trying to decide:

Because there are several of you instead of it just being you, I'm betting that it's going to be cheaper to drive, assuming that your car can handle it without repairs and chugging gas like crazy.

8. attagirl

attagirlNew Member

Threads:
    I would have to say that it really depends on the amount of time you have to make this trip. What you intend to do while on the trip? Did you wanna stop and see other things? Then weighing the cost of flying vs driving. One or the other is not always the most cost effective method.

9. marciana

marcianaMember

Threads:
    I would go for the car. It may be more practical, since when you get to your destination, you do not have to hire or rent a car to tour the city. Plus, travelling by car is part of the whole experience. Imagine the sights that you will be seeing along the way--that cannot be done when traveling by plane! The kids will surely love peeking on the windows! Well, that was me when I was a kid, so I am assuming kids now a days also appreciate the sights they see during long drives. Just do not forget to pack things that are necessary during long drives. Like in my family's case, I have with us sandwiches and packed juices, so shall one of us gets hungry, we do not have to stop over and eat elsewhere, which also consumes a lot of time.

10. coolaaryan777

coolaaryan777New Member

Threads:
    Thanks for providing the information about cheaper way to travel. These ways are really cheap and best for every tourist. By it the tourist can save money and take the advantage of it.

11. kasi

kasiActive Member

Threads:
    It depend to you that which one you select and your budget also I suggest to you that you use plane because you have family that, s why. Cedar is one of the most favorite place after Disney..