Cheapest Detergent Brands | Why Not?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by hades_leae • Aug 22, 2016.

1. hades_leae

hades_leaeActive Member

Threads:
    There are lots of people out there who skip out on these good deals for detergent by certain brands. I can get 5 pounds of detergent from a well known brand for something like $6 dollars, but go to a cheaper brand and get the same quantity for $3 dollars which gives me double the product if I just buy 2 bags which I actually do now.

More detergent, fewer trips to the store in the long run. It's cheap, and gets my clothes clean. Why do you shop for more expensive brands?

2. abonnen

abonnenActive Member

Threads:
    I don't buy expensive detergents either, I think it is a waste of money. I buy my detergent at the dollar tree for a dollar and god size container of orange detergent booster for a dollar as well. Its super cheap and I like it a lot, I have tried expensive before, but I see no difference except that is has a more perfumed smell.

3. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am conscious when it comes to laundry detergent and even with dish washing soap. I always stick to my favorite brand as long as the quality remains. In my younger years, I have tried using the cheap detergents here which are like generic. And it's not really good because the dirt in the clothes were not thoroughly removed. Even with dish washing soap, that is also the case - the odor of food remains. It may be more expensive if you buy cheap detergents. With your branded detergent, at least you get quality laundry.

4. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    When I have a little extra money laying around I like to purchase the more expensive detergents because they make your clothes smell nice for a long time. My favorite blend is Snuggle fabric softener with Gain detergent. Sometimes I have to go down to Sun detergent when I need to stretch out the money. I do not like cheap detergents and fabric softner because they are runny and it just looks like milky colored water.

5. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I honestly don't consciously seek out the more expensive brands. I really like Ariel because it cleans so well and smells gorgeous. But I feel that as pricey as it is, it's also cost effective because you really don't need a lot, a little goes a long way and it foams up beautifully. I remember when money was tight, I did try a couple of the cheaper brands and I was disappointed to find they didn't produce much foam, and we subsequently had to use more. Naturally, they didn't last long, meaning they weren't all that cost effective.

6. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I buy the cheapest brand of detergent which is Purex power pacs. I was a Cold Power fan for a long time. Then when I started riding the bus, the pacs were a life saver for they are so light and easy to handle. I like Ajax too, but I like the pacs only these days.

7. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    I agree that buying detergents in bulk is the way to go. Less trips and it's more cost efficient. My only issue with cheap detergent is that it irritates my skin. I usually go with tide or try one of the non toxic brands. I find I get rashes after using a cheap brand or something with a lot of fragrance. Plus there are always coupons for detergents.

8. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Much as I would agree that on the whole buying store or non-brand products can save a considerable amount of money - especially as there are many unbranded products that are way cheaper but just as good if not better than some of the well known branded products.

I have found - as quality and cost effectiveness are more important to me than brand - that having tried many different less expensive non brand household cleaners including laundry detergent - cheaper products are not always the better option from a cost saving point of view - particularly as - its not at all unusual to have to use more of a non brand/cheaper product in order to get the same results - which of course means - that its way more cost effective to stick with a branded product - as although initially a little more expensive they generally work out much more economical in the long run - as they don't need replacing as often - because you use less.

That said - as I now mostly use SoapNuts rather than commercially made detergents or household cleaning products - cutting costs in this area is not something that I really have to consider these days - particularly as the overall cost is next to nothing - as not only are SoapNuts a very effective and inexpensive alternative to commercially made laundry detergent - but as they are also one of the best natural multipurpose cleaners I've ever used and do excellent job at cleaning just about anything around the house and garden - the savings made from not having to buy commercial laundry detergent or an abundance of different household cleaning products - are HUGE and noticeably so too.

9. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I will purchase brand name detergents when I see a good bargain size and price wise. Most of the time I can find this at Family Dollar or Dollar General. This doesn't happen that often when I shop at Kroger even if there is a coupon for the product that's on sale it's still not worth it when I compare the price of a lesser brand that I already buy and I am quite satisfied with. I would rather buy cleaning additives such as spot cleaners or bleach I even use Dawn for stains sometimes.