Cheapest Gifts Ever

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by Zyni • Dec 11, 2014.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What is the cheapest gift you've ever been given? Good or bad, name the cheapest ones.

The cheapest thing I ever got was a re-gifted item. The person who gave it to me received it as a customer gift from her accountant. She even left the business card on it. It was a little sleigh made of some kind of wicker I guess. Like a little sleigh shaped basket with some nasty-looking hard candies in it. I actually liked the sleigh part. I filled it with ornaments and used it for a decoration. Since she got it free, that's pretty dang cheap, lol.

Christmas is not all about the gifts, or the price, or any of that, I know. This thread is just for fun!

2. Nate5

Nate5Member

Threads:
    I got a really nice necklace from a secret santa exchange where I spent around $4 on. Since my mom doesn't wear jewelry that much anymore, it was just kept around the house. Then came next Christmas, and the place I work at now also had a gift exchange. I gave back the necklace, and from what I can tell from her reaction, the girl that received my gift really liked it. All it took was $4 and some space in my house for 365 days.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Cheapest gift I ever got? The person who gave it to me didn't even buy. It was a hand-me down wool coat which was still in good condition. Nonetheless I found it very useful because heck, I didn't have to buy a wool coat for a very long time. IMO a gift cheap or expensive as long as you can use is still great to get.

4. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree, Denis. Some cheap gifts turn out to be pretty nice. I did like the thing I got, and I used it as a decoration for a few years. I just think it's a fun topic. Some funny stories to be had and to tell at times. Re-gifting stories can be especially humorous sometimes, lol.

5. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    Well, the cheapest gift I ever received was a dollar from my cousin. She literally came over to my house and gave me a dollar for my birthday. Then she told me that just bought some new shoes that same day. We went out and I accidentally scuffed them up completely on accident.

6. joyful728

joyful728Active Member

Threads:
    My sister gave me a mattress cover that she received as a wedding gift - and it was for a king bed and we had a queen bed. It was obviously regifted and I think pretty tacky.

I know someone who got a photo album as a wedding gift and inside it was the couples wedding (or shower?) invitation from many years ago, so obviously it had been regifted.

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Mine's a very interesting one! A friend gave me a lottery ticket which cost him 2-GBP, but when I checked it I'd won 70-GBP :) I used 2-GBP from the winnings and managed to win back 10 -GBP :) I called it the gift that keeps giving :) I actually didn't mind receiving that gift at all even before I'd won, I actually thought it was a neat little gift idea.

Cheap to me doesn't always translate to an undesirable gift. It's when someone grabs the nearest thing without much thought and gives it to me that I get annoyed. Like for instance, giving me a gift that's more suited to a 16 year old. I won't go into details, but a family member gave me a perfume set meant to a teenager and I'm nothing but!

8. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    Ah yes, the value of the gift is in it's usefulness to you. You may be given the most expensive, say, an office stapler but you don't work in an office, that for me would translate as cheap, worthy of re-gifting it to someone who would use it more. A hand me down hobby tool that was given to me by my husband was way more useful to me. That is the cheapest I got that I really remember since it made my new found hobby enjoyable.

9. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    I got many gifts that were cheap, in this definition of cost, because the people giving it to me had gotten it for free. Donation bin clothes (but not as a "wrap up" gift) and boxes of utility things that were obviously gifts from some company for advertizing, etc.

The most cheap in VALUE gift I got was a birthday gift from my uncle. He gave me an old deck of cards. Many cards were missing. Mostly useless.

10. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I believe that the cheapest gifts that you can give to anyone is lots of love and maybe their favourite flowers. I think it is quite important to make a person smile by giving them lots and lots of flowers. I do not think there can be an better gift than that.

11. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    Perhaps the cheapest gift I got was a small Christmas Card given to me by a friend. It was so small, I think like the size of a gift tag. Well, it's not the gift that counts, but it is the thought. Up to now, I still have it and I can fairly remember the message that goes with the card.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The cheapest gifts that I got were mini towels, greeting cards, earphones that costs $2, and little pouches that were souvenirs of tourist spots here in the country. For me, anything below $3 is considered cheap. But of course, don't get me wrong, it's the thought that counts when receiving and giving gifts.

13. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    The cheapest thing I ever got is the huge tin of pop corn at the in law party. We supposed to do the Christmas exchange and the gift was set at $15 limit. The person that got my name, pick up a huge tin of pop corn at Walmart with a price tag at $4.99 still on it. Needless to say, it was a shock to everyone to see that.

14. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    The strangest and cheapest gift that I ever got was from a friend, and it was a piece of paper that said "IOU 1 Gift" because she hadn't had any time to go to the shops and buy things for people. I never did get it, and it was years ago now. I don't particularly mind that I never got it, to be honest with you, because holidays aren't about getting gifts, however what annoyed me was the fact that she made out as though she was definitely going to get me something and then didn't bother. If somebody doesn't want to buy anything then I would very much prefer for them to leave it at that and just not pretend about it!

15. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The cheapest gift I ever received was a charity shop book with a 50p price sticker on the cover. I was delighted, it was a book I'd wanted to read for ages. The person who gave it to me for my birthday was really hard-up at the time so I was really pleased that they didn't spend much money on me - I didn't want them to. The best thing was knowing that someone had remebered something I had told them and kept me in mind.

16. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It is shocking and a little strange to me that so many people are able to readily remember the cheapest gifts that they've ever gotten lol. I am going through the libraries of my mind right now, and nothing is coming up? At least, not anything interesting.

Oh! There was one time that someone purchased me a key ring from abroad. And when you messed with the lever, the penis entered the... well I'm sure you get the picture lol. Apparently it was very cheap. Very novelty though.

17. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You know what? I don't even know what the answer to this is for me. I'm assuming I've been re-gifted at least one gift over the years, so I'll go with whatever that is. I don't think someone else has ever given me a terrible gift, although there have been those items that I've barely used since getting them as gifts.

18. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Last Christmas I got two of the cheapest gifts I've ever received. One was a re-gifted item that actually wasn't all that cheap as I was the one who had bought it in the first place. Albeit, more than a few years back. Which leads me to believe that people think you start to lose "it" (eyes, ears, memory) as soon as you pass fifty.

The other was a very thoughtful and pleasing gift that just happened not to cost much. It was a "widow's mite", or a bronze lepton, which is a Jewish coin of the very smallest denomination. It is said to have been struck between 103 - 76 BC, but was also likely to have been still in circulation during Jesus' time. The person who gave it to me wrote a little note with it saying that it's nice to think it might have passed through Jesus' hands or even have been on a table he overturned in the temple.

19. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A notepad. It was just a token gift though, just a gesture more than an actual thing, so I didn't really mind.