Cheapest Method To Sterilize Water

Discussion in Water started by remnant • Jul 4, 2016.

1. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    In the absence of accessibility of other methods of purifying water, a very cheap method which can be used at home to cut water costs is use of sunlight to sterilize water. Sunlight has UV rays which are not conducive to the growth of pathogens. Simply put the water into a transparent tub and place it in sunlight for the UV pays to penetrate. Sunlight at any intensity contains UV rays. The tub containing the water should be placed in am open place or on the roof for at least 6 hours.

2. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks for sharing, remnant :) This is something I've never heard before, but it's very interesting! I've heard that our water isn't safe for human consumption because of the chemical combination or whatever, so what I've taken to doing is buying bottled purified water because some doctors have even gone so far as to say not even boiling will solve the problem. So I prefer not to use tap water for nothing other than cleaning. I wonder what they'd make of this method.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think the best way is to boil water and then let it cool down for safety. In countries like England there isn't much sun so this would not work, in fact there would be more rain water! Even in Nepal and similar countries, boiling is the quickest and safest way to make water safer to drink. My parents still prefer this method.

4. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I believe the most effective non-conventional means of purifying water is to boil it. There is also another form of purifying water by adding chlorine bleach probably a few drops to a gallon of water. This is a method that is suggested by the authorities in my country whenever there is a threat from a hurricane or from flooding.

5. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Yes its true - although boiling untreated water for at least 1 minute - as well as filtering or chemically treating water - will kill all kinds of micro-organisms such as bacteria, parasites and viruses - none of those processes will make the water safe if it contains pesticides, lead, nitrates or any other chemical toxin - as they all only remove micro-organisms not toxins.

Which is why - as our water sounds to be very much like yours - loaded with chemicals and not safe for human consumption - even after various treatments - we too have no option but to either have our water delivered by a bowser or to buy it ourselves in large 5 -10 litre containers.

6. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    Charcoal filters are cheap too and are excellent remover of bacteria and other filth contained in water. Charcoal performs as some kind of net which catches anything smaller than its micro crevices. It doesn't work as a virus remover though, since these are so small.

7. Lushlala

Threads:
    Wow, @gata montes@gata montes, sorry to hear you too are in the same boat as me! It's pretty scary, especially when you have doctors here advising against drinking our water. I mean, not everyone can afford to get bottled water! I feel sorry for the people without, and it just seems so unfair because the government is charged with the responsibility of looking after its people's welfare. It just baffles me, because I wonder what it'll take to correct it and make it safe to drink?

8. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Yes - what it'll take to correct it is something that totally baffles us here too - as why is it - considering that water is a vital necessity for everyone - as no one can survive for long without it - that in this day and age with everything else rapidly advancing at a pace that no one would have believed possible several decades ago - the problem of how to make chemically contaminated water safe to drink doesn't appear to be being fully addressed - let alone taken seriously enough to find a solution - even though there are many places around the world - that are still without safe water because of it.

9. Lushlala

Threads:
    @gata montes@gata montes....the mind truly boggles! I mean, it makes me wonder if the politicians who we vote in, who are meant to serve us even drink that water themselves? Or is it just for us the minions?! So unsafe is the water in my country that I've even heard that the American Embassy here has stopped American expats from drinking it! They even published a report on their research and findings, and lemme tell you, it wasn't good! But clearly our authorities aren't embarrassed by these damning findings LOL It's crazy that the people who are meant to represent us and look out for our welfare are the same ones playing Russian roulette with our lives! But what can you expect from politicians!?

10. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Well I think that you are right, that is the cheapest that I have come across. I was going to say boiling it, but you are paying for the electricity or gas. Unless you are using some stick and having a fire outside then, then I guess the costs would be the same. I still like your method though @remnant@remnant - and I will certainly keep that one in mind. Thanks for sharing.

11. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think you just have to buy a built-in heater and/or filtering system and then attach it to your water pipes. If it's too much of a hassle and you don't have enough budget for installing such device/s, then just settle for your old kettle. You sterilize water every time you let it boil. You can also use a boiler or a simple water heater for mass sterilization.