Cheapest Supermarkets?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Grumpy • Mar 28, 2012.

1. Grumpy

GrumpyActive Member

Threads:
    In your guys' experiences, what are the best and cheapest supermarkets in the UK?

I know all about this price comparison stuff, but I don't really have the time to do all of that and then check it all out and buy the stuff, I'd rather go into a shop and just run around, find everything I want and take it all to the checkout. What I pay I never really pay attention to anyway, but it would be nice for me to start saving a few pounds here and there!

So if anyone has any ideas on the cheapest supermarkets for branded food, then please, share your ideas in this topic for us all!

2. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I find the one that works out cheapest overall for branded goods is Morrisons. They have lots of BOGOF deals, and their instore bakery and deli counters are excellent. Other supermarkets may advertise themselves as cheaper, but for my particular shopping basket, Morrisons comes out cheapest.

If you're not too bothered about branded goods, or if you don't mind buying foreign brands, LIDL offers excellent value. The only problem is, you couldn't do all your shopping there - you'd need to top up elsewhere. When I'm in the UK, I go to LIDL first, then Morrisons, and it works well for me.

3. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I think Walmart has the best prices for a one stop grocery trip. They can be a bit pricey on some items and it is hard to resist buying other stuff while you are there. If you make a list and stick to it, you should be able to save some money at Walmart.

4. scottyxx

scottyxxExpert

Threads:
    dissn, if you read the first post its for the UK. I always found ASDA the cheapest when not buying on promotions. I really like Aldi, and Lidl for fruit and vegetables they are by far the cheapest. I find that the supermarket's own brand is often cheaper than Lidl and Aldi, but the quality in Lidl and Aldi is usually far superior.

5. Randomhero

RandomheroMember

Threads:
    Well I dont live in the UK but the cheapest supermarkets here are the farmers market 1st, then walmart, sack n save, KTA, safeway. In that order :)

6. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I think the cheapest supermarkets are ALDI and LIDL. Both are very similar and sell good quality items for a very low price. Tesco is the next cheapest, but the quality of their products are inferior to those of ALDI/LIDL. It is mainly food and drink they sell, but they also sell a few books, tools and electronic equipment.

7. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    At least in the US, I don't think there are cheaper supermarkets. For one thing, it always seems like you can get the same price at a regular supermarket by simply buying a frequent buyers card. Anyhow, a lot of the cheaper supermarkets still have a small service fee they tag on to the price, and of course, you still have to pay a tax. In that case, are they really giving you a deal?

8. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    If you have an ALDI nearby, I would suggest giving it a try. While you might not always be able to get everything on your list, you should do well there.

Around here anyway, the produce is very good, fresh, and the prices can't be beat. While I like to hit up the farmer's markets in the summertime (and you might want to check into that by you), I generally like to purchase produce at Aldi when the markets aren't available. The stuff we get at the corner store or Walmart just doesn't compare both quality-wise and price-wise.

They also get new things all the time, so it pays to go back and check out all the new items.

9. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In Metro Manila, it's not the supermarket but the brand called Bonus. It's like a generic brand that is usually cheaper by at least 10% compared to branded products. Bonus has a wide array of food products from rice and sugar up to eggs, flour and so many other items. Bonus is a creation of SM Supermarket and available only in their supermarkets. One officer said that they intend the Bonus brand for the poor families in the city.