Check For Manager's Specials?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by hayrake • Jan 6, 2015.

1. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Whenever I run into a store for an item or two I always try to remember to check for "manager's specials" in the produce and meat departments. I often find packs of fresh vegetables, such as mushrooms, squash or the broccoli, cauliflower and carrot mix for $.99 or $1.29 depending on the size. Sometimes, also, I'll find a good piece of meat priced way down as it needs to be sold fast.
    Of course, these are items that need to be used rather quickly; but, all the same, if I can use them I'm tickled to get them. Especially the veggies, because I can always use veggies.

2. Webene

WebeneMember

Threads:
    This is a really good idea that will save you lots in the long run and also if you get lucky. These type of specials are generally not advertised in the catalogs, and are unique to each store. Sometimes you can find really great deals on the fresh fruit, vegetables, meat and seafood products which are generally the products that do not have many frequent promotions. One of the catches is that these bargains might be due to the products being close to their use by dates, so their freshness is not optimal. If you take care in your selections the specials are always a great way to save money on the produce items.

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    They don't really have manager's specials at my local supermarkets but I always look at the marked down bakery cart at Walmart because the bread and cakes are 40% off and still reasonably fresh.

4. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:

You are right about the items being close to their by use dates. Most times these items need to be used quickly. I have found, though, that some of the veggie items will freeze well. Of course, they then have to be cooked later instead of being eaten raw. Nothing wrong with that, though.

5. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    Pretty much every grocery store in my area has manager specials. There have been times that I've found bread, cakes, pies, and meats that would have cost a fortune. They usually would be marked down at least 70% and if you have a coupon for the store then you can get it even cheaper.

6. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I just check the store ads. I look at the different ads for the different stores and then decide where I am going to go based on which has the better prices on the things I am looking for. I don't buy meat so I never check that section of the store, but if I see a good deal on produce that wasn't in the ad, I will sometimes purchase the item(s).

7. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always check the reduced to clear section. If I am not going to eat what I buy immediately then I put it in the freezer. I find that there are more reduced goods on offer if you visit the store about two hours before it closes.

8. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I absolutely do this, too!

I got 9 apples the other day for only a dollar and while they were starting to look a little beat up, they were still perfectly fine to make some apple chips, apple muffins, and some apple sauce!

9. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I shop at Kroger, and they always have something that is on the clearance sale there. I watch for the managers special stickers, and check the little rack where they put the fruit and veggies they are clearing out on sale.
    I never shop on the regular sale days, but the day before when they are putting out the new and fresh items for the weekend, and then putting the older/outdated food on clearance.
    I have also found most of my vitamins on sale for at least 50% off, and sometimes more. Even kitchen items, like coffee makers and toasters will occasionally be on clearance.
    One thing that I really like about Krogers is their scan-rite guarantee. It says that if they mis-charge you, then you get the item for free. I always check my sales receipt after I check out, and when I find an overcharge, then I go to customer service, and they will refund the money, so I have the item for free. I really like it when that happens, so I always go over my receipts with an eagle eye ! !

10. Cryyo

CryyoMember

Threads:
    The best manager specials I find tend to be in the beef section. As soon as the beef, or steak, or whatever starts turning brown it gets a HUGE drop in price. For those that aren't aware, just because your steak isn't getting any oxygen to keep it red doesn't mean that it isn't still perfectly delicious. I always lurk in that area to find the best cuts that I otherwise could never afford. Thank goodness for the lack of knowledge of the other shoppers!